Spearfishing Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My sling tips have barbs on them to keep them from wiggling off. Only one got away, it swam into a hole and I could not get it without hitting the coral. Not sure what happened.
I have taken them off the tip to feed to groupers and such while alive. I'm thinking if a vital organ is hit it will die soon enough. I'm pretty sure that we should try and kill them with scissors or knives depending on the area.
Hey Kev, I just received my new lion tamer last week and am looking forward to trying it out. What method do you use to handle the lionfish after spearing it so you don't end up it's victim?

Hey Kev, I just received my new lion tamer last week and am looking forward to trying it out. What method do you use to handle the lionfish after spearing it so you don't end up it's victim?

YouTube - Lion Tamer Mini Spear

Hi- I watched this video and kinda shuddered when I watched him grabbing the fish by the head. I was stung as the fish wiggled on the spear as I reached for it's head. Not a pain I want to receive too often.
Now I take my shears and clip the stinging fins off first then I will grab it and kill it.
I watched a similar video to this when I first started killing them on Coz. I always thought they where kinda docile. They seem sluggish, but they dart very quickly, sometimes towards you.
When we first where getting them on Coz we where using mask boxes and bags. That took up a lot of time. It was hard with the larger ones. Now some that we see it would be impossible to get into a mask box they are so big.
Since this is your first time killing them I would suggest using medical shears to cut the fins off that sting first, then kill it.
If you are close to sand lay the fish on the sand and cut it's throat but watch, they still wiggle and will sting you even when they are dead.

Hi- I watched this video and kinda shuddered when I watched him grabbing the fish by the head. I was stung as the fish wiggled on the spear as I reached for it's head. Not a pain I want to receive too often.
Now I take my shears and clip the stinging fins off first then I will grab it and kill it.
I watched a similar video to this when I first started killing them on Coz. I always thought they where kinda docile. They seem sluggish, but they dart very quickly, sometimes towards you.
When we first where getting them on Coz we where using mask boxes and bags. That took up a lot of time. It was hard with the larger ones. Now some that we see it would be impossible to get into a mask box they are so big.
Since this is your first time killing them I would suggest using medical shears to cut the fins off that sting first, then kill it.
If you are close to sand lay the fish on the sand and cut it's throat but watch, they still wiggle and will sting you even when they are dead.
Thanks! Sounds like I need to pick up some shears.

I'm glad to hear Cozumel is allowing different types of spears for hunting the Lionfish. I wanted to chime in and remind people about the Foldspear, which has just come out with a new and improved version and improved holster. There is a 4 foot version now, and the Foldspear has several advantages over the other slings being used, the main advantage being that you can holster it away and dive with your hands free until you see a lionfish. Also you don't need two hands to aim and shoot like a hawaiian sling.
Especially for areas where people have permission to hunt in marine parks, with the Foldspear the customers don't have to see the divemaster with a spear in his hands the entire dive. He can just pull it out to shoot lionfish and put it back.

Foldspear -The only Holstered Polespear

I cannot understand why anybody would want to spear a Lionfish. They are so easy to approach, so that counts out any skill factor in killing them. Are they good eating, or is is just the satisfaction of killing something.

live and let live

ploppytheslopper

See Pterois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In the Carribean and Atlantic Oceans, the lionfish is an invasive, non-native fish that has no local predators and is disrupting the natural ecosystem and decimating stocks of overfished species. There have been campaigns by SCUBA divers to kill lionfish in the Florida Keys, often supported by NOAA and other government agencies."

I cannot understand why anybody would want to spear a Lionfish. They are so easy to approach, so that counts out any skill factor in killing them. Are they good eating, or is is just the satisfaction of killing something.

live and let live

ploppytheslopper

live and let live

ploppytheslopper
Are you trolling or have you been living under a rock? Lionfish are an invasive species as well as a voracious predator that have been introduced to the Atlantic basin (where they have virtually no natural enemies) through man's negligence. There are efforts (probably futile, IMO) in many/most diving locations to control their population, and even in the marine park at Cozumel, where all species are protected, an exception has been made for lionfish.

And yes, apparently they are good eating.

Last edited:

I take them by the head AFTER I have found a solid place to pin the body to (sand or rock); then they don't flip around. When I have them by the head I remove the liontamer and drive it through the brain. This kills them instantly. The only place where this didn't work for me was up north in some strong current; the fish wasn't flipping but the current was making it move and I needed my buddy's help to put his spear through the brain. Never been stung, so far but then again I have far fewer kills.

As a dive guide, You would NOT be allowed on my boat with any device that was not designed for recreational diving, period. I worked Mexico's Yucatan pennisula,cruise ships,PADI dive shops,and general resort contract diving. The last thing I need on a dive boat is a group of clowns with sharp sticks. The liability and responsibility would be out of this world. Heck,most of the time I'm "babysitting" these once a year certs that know everything already except about safe diving procedures. Have fun diving and let Mother Nature do her magic.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

As a dive guide, You would NOT be allowed on my boat with any device that was not designed for recreational diving, period. I worked Mexico's Yucatan pennisula,cruise ships,PADI dive shops,and general resort contract diving. The last thing I need on a dive boat is a group of clowns with sharp sticks. The liability and responsibility would be out of this world. Heck,most of the time I'm "babysitting" these once a year certs that know everything already except about safe diving procedures. Have fun diving and let Mother Nature do her magic.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT
I really don't think most peole on here that are doing their part to keep the lionfish population down are "once a year certs". If you're comparing leading dives with this crowd with babysittig, you really don't know your audiance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom