Spearfishing with a rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't find anything in any of my posts that claim spearfishermen took an excessive share of any fish. Even for jewfish spearfishing only accounted for 13% of the commercial Gulf landings (1979-1987).
Spearfishing is certainly the most selective method of harvesting fish known, and that fact alone makes it acceptable to many managers, enviornmental types and easy to defend.
I think that if rebreathers were allowed in spearfishing and spearfishermen started hitting the deeper water groupers, like warsaws and speckled hinds, which are slow growing and long lived, we would really have some problems. Of course, you could argue that is already being done now with open circuit (tri-mix). Some at NMFS are warning about the selective removal of larger fish from the population by spearfishermen. I don't agree with this, when you look at the number of fish (like large black grouper) taken by the bottom long line fleet in the Gulf, but the agrument is still there.
On one hand we are being forced to use more selective gear types , but told we are being too selective. Doesn't make much sense does it?

Couldn't help but notice your screen name, have you done much diving in the jacksonville area, and have had to drive to Charleston or Jensen Beach to hook up with people I know. Sacked some good lobster last weekend in JB. Are there good ledges or wrecks to dive around here for bugs or fish?

Just an example(jewfish)of fable VS. fact.

Due to the high cost of RB diving this rule would account for <1% of spearfishing divers.Commercial guys would never use them as the cost/benefit ratio is skewed way past costly.So this rule may affect maybe 10 to as many as 30 recreational guys who had the interest in both..Whoopee.
Then again there are trip limits which are designed protect the species from over-fishing.Deepwater dives to see mistys,snowys and tilefish would be so logistically ridiculous as well as costly that few would ever consider it.The idea that rebreathers are a valid threat to fish populations is flawed and maintained by hate,jealosy and mis-information.
Fortunately the fisheries agencies are now being legislated into using"best science" to develop regulations and limits.Rather than the mis-informed conehead knowitalls who used to have carte-blanche to impose thier asinine prejudices.
Hopefully they will re-visit a great deal of prior rules as time goes on and correct the mistakes made in the past and continue to follow thier job description.Which is to best manage the fishery to maintain a sustainable catch and access to all.

Just an example(jewfish)of fable VS. fact.

Due to the high cost of RB diving this rule would account for <1% of spearfishing divers.Commercial guys would never use them as the cost/benefit ratio is skewed way past costly.So this rule may affect maybe 10 to as many as 30 recreational guys who had the interest in both..Whoopee.

Yeh, that's what I've been trying to point out to our buddy Bill. However, where did this info come from?

Well,for 1 I know quite a few East Coast commercial spearfishermen.Almost all use the simplest gear and gas available.As far as how many rebreather divers want to spearfish,I only ever met 1 guy...ever.Who owned a rebreather,but spearfished OC.1.

As an O.C. hunter, I enjoy the challenge of the hunt. I personally don't shoot certain fish because I would feel a little guilty if I were just killing and not hunting, if that makes any sense.
It seems to me that a rebreather takes away from the challenge and I can't really understand
why anybody would really want to hunt on a rebreather. Is it hunting if you can swim right up to it, pet it and shoot it? To each his own but I just don't think it is very sporting.

Terri

I'm putting on my flame retardant suit. :D

Most spearfishermen have a 3-4lb brain, some less.Do you think there's really ever any doubt as to which species has the advantage?

It seems to me that a rebreather takes away from the challenge and I can't really understand
why anybody would really want to hunt on a rebreather. Is it hunting if you can swim right up to it, pet it and shoot it? To each his own but I just don't think it is very sporting.

I would imagine some people would spearfish on their rebreather because that is their tool of choice for breathing underwater. Do you really think people go out and buy a rebreather JUST so they can spearfish?

Marketing hype always has a way of twising the truth. I've been close to the marine life on OC and CCR. So, far, I really can't see a difference between the two tools but that's me. When I approach marine life on CCR, they still swim away. Think about it. There's a 6' giant coming at you. Predator?

Not to mention that the task loading for doing the 2 is so overwhelming that only a few people in the whole wide world could ever it according 1 post:dork2::lotsalove::mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom