Specific Boat Diving Gear Management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll get a lot more replies on boat diving, but I'll add two things. Find out where they put all the "dry" bags (ie, make sure it IS a dry place and figure out how to get it if you need to). Also, keep some non-dive stuff with your gear (in gear bag, etc.)--such as lunch, drinks, sunglasses in a case, sunscreen, hat/cap, ear drops, etc.--things you want access to ASAP and it doesn't matter if they get wet.
I keep a paper log but on a boat I have a pencil, note paper and folded RDP in a jar so my log book stays in the car. That also stays with my dive gear on board. I do use a computer as well.

It all depends on who you dive with. Our preferred dive op manages everything but wetsuits. We check in the day/evening before our first dive and drop our gear off. They give us one of their mesh bags to transfer our gear to and we leave it with them. The next morning, our gear is set up and waiting for us on the boat. We take our wetsuits and a small dry Bag for phones, wallets, etc.

Contact your dive op and see how they handle gear. A full sized rolling dive bag would be a hassle on a small boat.

If this is your first trip to Coz, I'm sure it won't be your last!!

Safe travels,
Jay

I carry on my BC, reg, fins and wetsuit in a mesh bag and chuck out of the way under the bench. I keep my dry stuff in a small 10 liter dry bag which can be tossed up front or clipped to something. We make fun of people who show up at the boat with a big rolling bag. How people manage their gear can be a real indication of what kind of diver they are.

The important issues are
1) travel light
2) keep a small personal footprint and don't spread out
3) make sure you have everything you need and that it all works before you leave home
4) ask the crew where they want stuff stowed and don't jump on board until they give you the OK

Besides my work as a dive instructor I work as Dive Master on our very busy dive charter, so I have some feelings on his subject. I believe every Diver should arrive with their gear in a dive bag, not one of those huge roller travel bags or a oversized plastic tub. If you are too weak to carry your gear, XSScuba does make a good mesh boat bag with wheels. I do not allow any Diver to board our boat wearing their BC on their back and the rest of the gear in their arms, and all divers hand their gear to me and board hands free to prevent slips and falls. A good Diver should also have a reasonably sized dry bag for clothing and other items that necessarily should be dry, while most boats have a dry area remember dry is a relative term aboard a dive boat. Important issues cited by Doctorfish are very cogent, I would add that before you start clipping gear to rails or other modifications to the boat consult the crew. Remember they have accommodated many divers, and likely can accommodate your needs if you ask.

I have had a Stahlsac Bonaire mesh backpack for almost 3 years now. It is huge. Big enough to hold my and my ex-'s gear at the same time. I.e. 2 x BCDs, 2 x wetsuits, 2 x pairs of fins, etc.. I am still constantly amazed that it has held all that stuff - wet! - on more than one occasion for carrying back and forth between boat and dock/car and it still does not have any rips or tears. That is including my stainless steel back plate and wing rig, too, as my BCD. And, numerous times, also 4 x 1# weights that I usually keep in my bag. It is amazingly strong. And yet, once I've pulled everything out, it takes up almost zero room under my bench on a boat.

I bought this based on the perceived durability of the larger, 1cm mesh pattern and the largest number of positive reviews on Amazon. I've been more than happy, and I've yet to see another bag I would have preferred.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004...s+mesh+bag&dpPl=1&dpID=51FIFQbzluL&ref=plSrch

I use a waterproof stuffsack inside it for dry items. Works for me.

I usually carry weights/weight belt in a large mesh bag. The rest of the stuff goes in an old hockey bag with a busted zipper (not sure where it came from). I see no reason to spend $ on an official dive gear bag. Then again, I usually only take one charter or so per year.

I bought this based on the perceived durability of the larger, 1cm mesh pattern and the largest number of positive reviews on Amazon. I've been more than happy, and I've yet to see another bag I would have preferred.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004...s+mesh+bag&dpPl=1&dpID=51FIFQbzluL&ref=plSrch
We have what I believe is a much earlier version of that bag. Our have flat pockets instead of the expanded one. We've been using them for like 20 years and still going strong.

We also have some light softer nylon and mesh duffels that I've repaired a number of times. They were long ago demoted to holding light kayak gear like PFDs. We've also used old hockey type bags, but for local diving. They're not something I'd travel with, and any metal zippers usually turn to junk.

Old hockey bag; ugh! One of the advantages of a mesh bag is that you can easily wash it out and it dries quickly, as does the gear inside. I don't care whether it's "official", just that it is mesh. We have old US divers mesh bags and they are very durable and not too expensive.

Another rule in our family is that every diver is responsible for lugging and caring for his/her own gear.

Old hockey bag; ugh! One of the advantages of a mesh bag is that you can easily wash it out and it dries quickly, as does the gear inside. I don't care whether it's "official", just that it is mesh. We have old US divers mesh bags and they are very durable and not too expensive.

Another rule in our family is that every diver is responsible for lugging and caring for his/her own gear.
I agree about the mesh AND every diver carying their own gear. However, my wife has different expectations. Happy wife, happy life. Actually, it's a trade off for other things so I don't mind.

Cheers - MM

Back
Top Bottom