Spectators at Incident Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might have the "right" to take a picture, however, you probably don't have the "right" to publish it without consent: Photo Attorney: Rights of Privacy Concerns for Photographers

I've seen this and it doesn't contradict anything I've stated. For commercial or advertising use, yes you need consent in written form. But photographing an accident victim who is in public view is legal if used for editorial, ie., news media, use.

Why worry about legal issues? Why is that even a thought? Any mechanical issue with the gear would be found without taping...and the rescue divers, what the hell can you do "wrong" when bringing up someone who is unconscious and is under water?

I think people are getting upset with my point of view >.>

Like I said in my first post, I'm GIVING THE VIEW FROM A DIFFERENT WINDOW. I do not agree with arbitrarily video taping someone's death. I agree with video taping for the purpose of thoroughness. My whole equipment failure was a part of another story of being thorough, ie. Saving someone and ditching their BC to the bottom of the ocean where it couldn't be recovered.

What if someone accused you of foul play and you had no proof (The BC/Reg) that it wasn't you? A very far-fetched scenario, but it HAS happened.

If a person is being dragged in, and you think they're dead, it's still your responsibility to make sure you did everything for that person. Not to say the rescuers did anything WRONG, but how would we know how to rescue someone if we didn't look at a situation and say:

"Hey, this should have been done here."

"This clip shows what these people did wrong."

As disgusting as it sounds, sitting by and video taping something is sometimes the best thing you CAN do.

Once again, I don't MEAN to strike any sore spots. I don't MEAN to take a counter-stance to blocking Youtube taping. I'm just putting in another perspective to the situation so that people don't start hating others for misunderstood reasons.

Best diving to everyone :) I'm out of the water until this earache clears up. -.-

I was there from start to finish. When the news guy showed up he asked questions and clearly thought he was filming a rescue. When attempts to revive seemed to be failing a fire fighter came up and asked him to shut it off. He did, he packed up and left. I never saw him return and attempt to film the transfer in to the ambulance.

Interesting opinions here. I too think its kinda tasteless, kinda like rubberneckers of car wrecks. However if I was the victim and somethinng could be learned I say tape my rescue or recovery. If I live I don't care if my naked butt is on youtube. I think if I wasn't involved I would get out of the way tho.
I don't see why some are upset. It's news; it gets videoed if possible - and should be. Record the facts for possible use, sure. When it's determined that someone is dead, you respectfully cover the body.

I too was there - victims name was Terry Sholin.
I have nothing but praise for the response of the Pelham Fire Department and the time they spent on resuscitation. Sadly by the time he was found he had been under for way to long to recover.

According to the owner of Blue Water this was there first death in 10 years.

Keep Terry's family in your hearts.

There was a free diving death at Blue Water in june 2009,
Does anyone know any more details?

A diver's doing no one a favor if he's at quarter capability due to stress. The whole stress and rescue courses are there so you can handle situations with a calm mind. Should they even be diving if they're so stressed they aren't be doing things by the book?

When I first did my open water I do believe I was asked the question of whether to ditch the person's BC/tank/Regulator to the water and swim them to safety. I said yes and my instructor told me I was wrong. All of that is evidence, even if it IS cumbersome to haul with a person in critical danger, if not dead. Was there something wrong with the air? Was there a problem with the regulator? The BC? If you dump it there's the possibility it'll never be found and those questions won't be answered.

Well for one, I would just like to say that the concept of placing "evidence" of an incident, over the value of a human life, is ridiculous! I can honestly say that I would never want someone with that mentality as my dive buddy. If I'm having issues, or even have become unconscious underwater, I want to be brought to the surface as soon as possible, BCD or no BCD. If someone is going to hesitate on expediting a rescue by not removing gear in the name of evidence, in my eyes, they can stay out of the water. Evidence can be recovered, a human life, cannot.

And on the note of a stressful environment, and how the human body copes? Lamont said it best. Just having gone through a rescue course, whether it be for diving, or for any other activity, does not prepare you for the reality of a life or death situation and your mind will always be affected, only the level by which it is effected is lessened with each REAL situation you go through. I'm sorry, but having a dummy imaginary "expire" on you during a drill, or pretending that your partner has died, does not even begin to compare to having a REAL person expire in front of you. I may not be "experienced" with diving quite yet, but when it comes to having a person die in front of you, I am speaking from experience, and there is nothing you can do to prepare for it. Ask any EMT out there what it was like, and how much their "practice" helped them when they lost their first patient and you'll get the truth.

Was there an equipment malfunction? heart attack?
Does anyone know what happened?

I think all the available information has already been posted. There's just not much to know, unfortunately.

People were filming it because they have a sick and twisted desire to show all of their friends and family that they saw some poor guy die. It does absolutely nothing to aid or assist anything to do with the accident

Sick and twisted people have needs too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom