split fin recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm considering the Oceanic V12's....atomic aquatics split, and the apollo bio fin. I can get the oceanics for 100.00 and the other two for 140.00. Any opinions on any of these fins? I dove with the Apollos and liked them but would like something a little stiffer if possible. Thanks.

I own the Apollo Bio Fins and they work well for me. I tried a couple of other split fins and really didn't notice any big difference that would prompt me to change. The fin testing done on Rodales consistently rate the Bio Fins on top. I think they are all very close in performance.

And I never looked back. I noticed an immediate difference. The stiffiners (sp?) in the Atomic fins made for better thrust over the flapping rubber of the Bio Fins. More importantly, they made for better control. Its not like I can fin backwards (actually, never tried it) but I can turn, stop and keel my way around with them.

I definately prefer the Atomic fins over the Bios....

My Jets were ordered last week - we'll see how it goes with those stubby planks. Someone said recently that the Atomic fins were no good for a surface swim, but were great under water. That's an accurate discription. The jets will make a better surface paddle, for sure.

See...it only took two posts for Jets to make it into a post in the Fins room that had nothing to do with Jets.... that may be a record. :eek:ut:

I suck. I am so assimiliated its embarassing.

Well, if you really liked the Bios, get the Oceanics. It's the same fin - all rubber.

But I do have to agree with the Atomics. People that get them are very happy with them.

norcaldiver once bubbled...
But I do have to agree with the Atomics. People that get them are very happy with them.

What he said. However, I use Scubapro VCA's, which is a pretty stiff paddle fin, for wrecks and in situations where I need maximum control.

From another post

When he was doing his night dive, once the instructor gave the Ok a couple of Fathers joined their sons. I decided to see how Zellet handled problems so snuck behind him and held onto his tank, became a little negitively bouyant and watched to see what happened. All he did was put some air in his BC and continued to swim around. After the dive I asked him if he noticed anything different on that dive, his response was "Dad, the new fins(Tusa Expert Zoom) you bought me don't work very well"

I was wearing my Apollo's

I've got over 100 dives on the Apollo splits and about 10 dives on Atomics which I just bought. Apollo's are nice if you want to tool along and flutter -- they do this with almost no effort. I got them to scull and frog kick, but not much speed from these. Agree that Atomics are much stiffer, and therefore give you more power. That's why I went to Atomics -- they also allow an awesome frog kick.

Have you tried the ScubaPro Twin Speeds, not the Twin Jets. They seem to have more of a traditional blade feel. Why worry about if the fins are "stiffer". All of the split fins that I've tried took a small amout of learning the best kick but worked great once I got used to the kick I needed. Good diving.

$140 for the Atomics are a good price. I love the ease in which I can motor around - even in moderate current. I have no problem on surface swims, and have found at times that I have to stop kicking to allow my buddy to catch up with me.

I also dive the Atomics. They are the stiffest splitfin I am aware of, and Rodale's rated them highest for ergonomics and on kick variations.
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/propfins/review.shtml
The BioFins may be a little more efficient when you are going straight forward, but the Atomics give you more flexibility because they are more stiff (I love contradictions).
However, when I start doing more strenuous diving, e.g., wreck diving where I need top performance from other kick variations, I will get either Jetfins or the Mares Quattros. It's not a matter of being assimilated, even the official non-DIR mag Rodale's gave Jetfins "Top scores in sizing, fit and comfort; surface swimming, changing speed, changing direction; different kicks and stability."
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/2001gear/2001fins.shtml
However, still love the Atomics.

Back
Top Bottom