split fin recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I just got my first set of split fins (had USD Blades) I bought Aqualung V-Tec's (they look just like the Bio fins). My very first dive with them I thought they were great, easy to swim with lots of speed with little effort was easy to use with dif kicks or turns. My next dive had a bit of surge/current and I had to work real hard, my SAC for that dive was .71 compaired to my normal .5 When I got back on the boat I asked if anyone else thought the current or surge was bad and they didn't even seem to notice it by their comments (all the other divers had paddle fins). The rest of the dives I have on them they seem to work better than my USD's but I haven't had the same surge/current conditions. I also had a hard time getting back on the boat (no ladder) but not sure if it was due to the fins or my weight.

Geek

GeekDiver just seeled the deal for me. I just started my ow cert and have been trying to decide if I should get splits or traditional. My instructor, GeekDiver and many others have said that in current there is no substitute for traditional fins they just have more power. Sure the split fins a great for perfect conditions you move fast with less effort but what if the condition changes what do you do. There is no way I am going to substitue safty for ease of use. If I get cramps that just means i'll have to get in better shape. So I bought the Quattros and tooled around in the pool for a little wile with no cramps and alot of power. So now if i'm in Cosumel and need to cross or swim in a current I won't have to worry if my fins are going to performe. Like I said before i'm brand new to this sport but this seems to be the best decision for the research I have done. Just me two cents:wink:

I haven't tried them in surge yet, but my V12s work great against a current. I think that, in general, standard fins will accelerate better than splits, but splits will maintain speed with better efficiency.

I'm sure that many of the split fins, and several of the paddle fins are close to the V12 fin... but as far as efficiency, Rodales said, "The even newer Oceanic V-12 fins had the best course efficiency scores and were also near the top on speed runs. The V-12s are an adjustable scuba fin with more flexibility and excellent stability. Oceanic plans a V-8 in their Vortex series that would be a combination of materials and characteristics of the V-6 and V-12. http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/propfins/review.shtml

Blade

I am using the Oceanic V12 & have since recommended 3 other divers to use them. We all love it. I prefer them to other split fins as the foot pocket is very comfortable, does not cause ankle fatigue & the fin does not 'flop' around like the biofins. It's longer & more efficient in propelling forward with just small flutter kicks. The same goes for finning against the current, small, calf-generated-flutter kicks. The only thing you need to get used to is the feeling of not having anything on, or wondering if your fins had fallen off...!

I like my ScubaPro Twin Jets
Why not look at the report on Split Fins available on the Rodale's Scuba Diving (RSD) Website?

The ease of effort with these fins was quite impressive - even after I had read the impressive results in the RSD research report.
Happy diving, whatever you end up choosing.:)

Another vote for the atomics. I mostly shore dive and we get a pretty good amount of surge, and I'm 6'5" 220lbs. They work amazing. I had a pair of ScubaPro's that I really liked, swore by them as a matter of fact.

BUT...... then I tried the Atomics... HUGE difference. They almost feel like a traditional fin, but the thrust you get from a full force kick is amazing. Or to just cruise is even easier.

My wife dives Atomics and loves it. IMO I think they are made for recreation diving in still waters or maybe slight current. I belive any diver that is pursuing a high cert. should avoid using split fins. They do have there pros and cons and like every piece of scuba equipment, everyone has their own opinions. Hope you like them and be sure to give us a update.

IMO, the split fins give smooth propulsion, are quiet on the surface, and to me it almost feels like you aren't wearing fins. But when you need power to work against currents or are in a confined space, the jet fins really shine. You can use just the tips of the fins to turn and do finesse stuff. They are a little on the negative side, and can help with "floaty feet". Try the Jets before you decide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom