split fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

es601:
I also should add that I bought the blue twin jets and the lds told me that they were softer than the black color. Can anyone verify this for me?

Black Twin Jets are the most stiff (and negatively bouyant). Blue and gray are in the middle, and Yellow are the most flexible (and bouyant).

I have a pair ot sp twin jet and the tried and true jet, I must be old school I prefer the my blade fin. I do from time to time get leg cramps with the blade fin but power and speed is no comparasion. In the pool with a class I use split, it offers more flexibility It is purely a matter of preference. And or diving conditions, mine are usually less than perfect, go figure. My vote is for the blade fin, course I will still try split. especially on a less intense dive.

So whats the best split or not? I've got blades and im not in a hurry to just through money away.

dbombtek:
So whats the best split or not? I've got blades and im not in a hurry to just through money away.
Dive what you have. If you have read everything here and you don't understand it, I must assume that you don't have enough experience to know what you'll need.

Will you only vacation dive in Coz, or will you become a Florida cave diver? If you know, you can use that and this thread to learn what you need, but the whole *point* here is that you shouldn't let someone else decide for you. Until you can take what you've learned and decide for yourself, keep your money (or spend it actually diving).

snhrph:
You definitely need the split-fins, you are not a diver without them!!!

I assume that you are joking...I really hope you are joking...You ARE joking, right?

I have paddle fins that I have been diving for five years. They are scratched and gouged but are in otherwise perfect working order. I was always interested in the true physics of the split fin design having studied chemistry, calculus, and physics in undergraduate school. But I was also suspect of the "gizmo" gimmick we can fall prey to. So I watched and read, and waited, oh and watched, well, and read. This past summer I set my wife up with lessons and a fine set of paddles; brand not important. I stayed at home and did the Mr. mom thing while she took lessons. She came home and said "I've got to have split fins they're great!". Now, I'm thinking 'yep, the instructor is making a sale'. But she said she switched back and forth between both sets and likes the splits better. Now, her experience and possibly some effort from the instructor is all she knows on the subject. So she buys a pair and life goes on. On the day of her check out dives I go along as her buddy, private lessons. Now, I am a strong swimmer and have been using fins all my life. I know all of the kicks and use many of them on every dive. She has only been in fins a few times. Folks, she left me in the dust on the surface swim. In the dust. My feet started cramping trying to keep up with her.

All the reading, talking, calculating, pros vs. cons, all of that, went out the window when I had to have her stop so I could catch up. I don't know what other's were up against when they "lapped" the blade fin rescuers but I bought a pair before leaving that day. Now who ever said "they're for going fast and I don't want to go fast", again like me have probably not given them a fair shake. I have taken them on about thirty dives and would never give them back. I still have my paddles. They seem indestructible I will more than likely use them with my rock boots. Only because it has more to do with foot pocket size than function. I now have also done all or just about all types of kicks with these fins. They work just fine. In fact I move along gently with little effort using a modified flutter or frog and the silt stays put! I don't need any differential equations or wind tunnel tests, just the emphatic excitement from a new diver not set in their ways enough to try something new. I guess it pays to listen to new divers once in a while.

My suggestion is to try out both types of fins and see which you prefer. Everyone is different and just because one diver prefers paddle fins over split fins (or vice versa) doesn't mean you'll find that true for you. Do your own test and evaluation if you can.

scubalifer:
I don't know what other's were up against when they "lapped" the blade fin rescuers but I bought a pair before leaving that day.

I think the reason that splits aren't very good at towing a diver has to do with the kick. If you are doing a tank tow, you are going a very weird, feet apart, awkward kick. Perhaps it doesn't take advantage of the splits design. Also, when towing a diver, there is a ton of extra drag from the other diver. Even though I have the black Twin Jets, the stiffest, it still felt like they were flexing an awful lot. I would almost equate the feel to the very soft yellow Twin Jets, but with a lot more leg work required. Now, when pushing another diver with their fins on your shoulders, I think they work great. And of course they're great for normal diving conditions. YMMV.

crispix:
I love how salespeople try to spin spending money as an "investment". As if you'll get a rate of return on expensive scuba fins!

Splits are supposedly more efficient -- more power with less effort -- and some people swear by them. I'm a fairly new diver myself, don't have split fins, and like what I have just fine. I'm somewhat intrigued by people who say switching to split fins had a significant effect on their SAC rate. But I'm not ready to "invest".

Split fins are good if you are under the water and using the flutter kick or modified flutter kick, but you plan to snorkel with them they arent the best, and it is extremely hard to do the frog kick in them, not to say that they wont work, cus I have some friends who only use them (snorkeling, frog kicking, etc) and they swear by them.

I would definetly suggest trying them first. Some people love them, some dont. Everyone kicks a bit different and it might take you a bit to get used to them. Go to your local store and see if they will let you try them first. On most of my products I carry customers can try it before they buy it. This will be alot easier and faster when I get my pool installed this winter :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom