Split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wasn't there a poll on this here previously on :sblogo:

I thought we had it all figured out.

Now~ On to PADI vs _______.

Try them. If you like them, buy em and use em. If not, buy blades. Or join the ranks of us who have both. They work and feel differently for everyone that uses them, and all the debate is just personal opinion. The only one that counts is yours.

I forgot option 2- read and argue about them ad naseum here on Scubaboard, then go to the above.

Good points.

I'd like to add the following:
Not all split fins are created equal. Just as not all blade fins are created equal.

Which is better? Split or blade? Well, you might as well ask which paddle/blade fin is better than all the rest, etc.

Check out a couple different blade fins, a couple different split fins, etc.

I've used many different split-fins and there are huge differences. Some split-fins have really strong rails that will provide some serious thrust in the water. Others have very flexible rails.

With very flexible rails, a split-fin might feel like you are kicking and moving nowhere. I didn't like that feeling at all. If I had only tried the set with ultra-flexible rails, I would probably never have tried another set of split-fins. I'd probably be telling everyone how horrible split-fins are. BTW, that manufacturer recently changed the design of that fin. Haven't tried the new design, so I won't mention which model it is.

Similarly, some blade fins are quite rigid. Others are super flexible. Some have flexible panels in the middle of the fin.

If you are diving with a set of doubles, stage bottles, etc. you'd opt for a different fin than someone who only does boat dives in warm, tropical water with a single tank.

Personally, I generally use a set of full-foot split fins made by Atomic that cost about $80. I use them in current, doing frog-kicks, around Wrecks, etc.

Just my opinion.

Cheers.

I was taught to spread my fingers when swimming. A quick search turned up an article from the Journal of Biomechanics that concludes that fingers spread at a 12° angle create the optimal drag. (I realize that's not the "live long and prosper" or split-fin position, I'm just musing.) Extrapolating from the article, perhaps a fin that spread it's surface out and allowed water to flow through it (like the vents on jet fins et al?) might deliver "muscle, hydraulic and propulsive efficiencies." The rationale:

Here's the abstract:

Very interesting. I can't refrain from commenting that such a conclusion is very likely inapplicable to everyone (various physiologies, etc.), but it's worth experimenting on at the personal level. I swim a few miles a week, and am always tweaking my stroke.

I can swim faster or slower simply by altering the relative angle of my hand to the water, as well as by spreading my fingers. I find that I'm fastest when I really cup the water (let as little spill through as possible), but it's completely subjecting and non-scientific.

Fins don't wear out too often. So... to sell a new set of fins to every diver in the world, declare their existing fins obsolete or inadequate. Get the magazines and dive shops to help promote the idea of the new superior fin. The latest new product is always better, right?

Sales. That's the purpose of the split fin. To sell to already-finned divers. If you like them, good for you. If you don't, so what. They sell.

I have both a split fin and a blade.

I have the Tusa sf-8 x-pert zoom/black and the Aqua Lung Slingshot.

The Slingshot is what I use 99% of the tinme. I really like the power I can get from the slingshot, especially when divemastering.

It takes some getting used to, especially in 3rd gear. If your calf muscles aren't in top shape, you will know exactly where they are. lol

If I am JUST taking pictures, I sometimes switch to the split fin, as I think I get a bit more nuance control.

You can doubt all you want but when I take the advanced nitrox/deco class, that's what I'm gonna dive with.

Have fun pushing yourself, doubles, and two extra bottles in splits.

Like riding a bike in first gear...

Bicyclesm.gif

You can doubt all you want but when I take the advanced nitrox/deco class, that's what I'm gonna dive with.

I don't doubt that for a minute. I will bet you will not finish the class with them though. Just friendly chat chat my fellow diver...:thumb:

The Slingshot is what I use 99% of the tinme. I really like the power I can get from the slingshot, especially when divemastering.

It takes some getting used to, especially in 3rd gear. If your calf muscles aren't in top shape, you will know exactly where they are. lol

If I am JUST taking pictures, I sometimes switch to the split fin, as I think I get a bit more nuance control.

X2

My Slingshots are amazing. If you've got leg/joint issues you can adjust them to the looser setting, if you're an athlete you can put them on the tightest and they're incredibly quick.

They're big and heavy as hell, though, so if that's a problem keep that in mind, but I usually deal with it because they're THAT incredible for me.

Split fins are faster than blades because they they move water better. <period> They are also more efficient, work better against current and kick up less stuff from the bottom as well. Physics is physics and truth is truth, they don't care what you think or believe they just are. Come back tomorrow and they will not have changed.

Many members of the dive hobby are extereme conservatives when it comes to this hobby and that is not a bad thing when it comes to an activity that risks your life some what. When it comes to fin technology so many are, "it was good enough for Daddy, its good enough for me" doesn't matter how the new stuff tests and performs, its not what Daddy used.

I could channel Jaques Cousteau, have him say the truth about split fins and the nay sayers would chime in maybe the case in heaven, but not in the 'real world'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom