Split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Split fins are faster than blades because they they move water better. <period> They are also more efficient, work better against current and kick up less stuff from the bottom as well. Physics is physics and truth is truth, they don't care what you think or believe they just are. Come back tomorrow and they will not have changed.

Aaaaand here we go.

:dancinglock:

Physics is physics and truth is truth, they don't care what you think or believe they just are. Come back tomorrow and they will not have changed.
I'm with you so far; I mean, I agree that physics is physics. I also agree that truth is truth. And that neither is susceptible to opinion or the passage of time. So far so good.

Split fins are faster than blades because they they move water better. <period>
Okay, you're losing me a little bit here. I guess this is the truth part, but I missed the physics part.

They are also more efficient, work better against current and kick up less stuff from the bottom as well.
More truth, I guess, but where is the physics? I'm no scientist but I took some physics in college--I was expecting some F=ma type stuff.

I could channel Jaques Cousteau, have him say the truth about split fins and the nay sayers would chime in maybe the case in heaven, but not in the 'real world'
If you could just channel my physics professor for a moment, that would be even better than Jacques Cousteau. He was always persuasive because he explained things in terms of the laws of physics, instead of just making pronouncements and assuring us they were true. This thread took a stab at getting a scientific explanation, but nothing as definitive as what you seem to be suggesting emerged.

Last edited:
Split fins are faster than blades because they they move water better. <period>

Huh. Then maybe you can explain why I, in my OW class, flat wore myself out trying to keep up with my instructor while using Scubapro Twinjets, but since I bought some Mares Superchannel blades, I've gotten quite a bit faster... both at the surface and at depth. :idk:

Huh. Then maybe you can explain why I, in my OW class, flat wore myself out trying to keep up with my instructor while using Scubapro Twinjets, but since I bought some Mares Superchannel blades, I've gotten quite a bit faster... both at the surface and at depth. :idk:

Technique

Bicyclesm.gif

Greetings Paladin954 and really it boils down to what type of fin fits you and can propel your gear. What follows is just my personal experience that has proven to work best for my diving and technique.
I started out diving single 80's with Oceanic V12's worked fine, frog kick not so fine!
Moved on to Scuba Pro Twin Jets fit the bill for both kick styles.
Started diving dry and the Twin Jets got weak fast, as my mass increased my propulsion / air consumption went through the roof! I could not keep up with my buddies blades.
I bought a pair of Rockets better but not enough to keep them.
Then I started diving doubles and that was the end of the story!
I dive Aqua Lung Blades as a back up for my Diver Rite blades with in just a few weeks my fin technique improved drastically "Frog Kick" and I found I was getting less fatigue / cramps with blades.
I was just at a Sidemount clinic yesterday and my wife wanted to try my fins and gave me her Twin Jets. It was like a guppy trying to push a cement block. I was wearing S/M lp 77's and a 7mm wet suit! I took the fins off and walked out of the pool trying to sell them before she returned. Now she wants my fins! She discovered how much easier it is to frog kick with blades.
More resistance with blades sure, but easier maneuverability and far more thrust per kick. My air consumption has significantly improved with blades and technique.
These are just my personal finding and you will find another out there who would be the opposite but try it for yourself and determine what works best for you and your style of diving. Have fun and welcome to the journey, IN SEARCH OF THE PERFECT FIN! I have several pairs of splits for sale if you are interested. Just PM me.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I started with split-fins (Tusa) and I know I can fin faster with them compared to my Hollis F1s (I bought later). Since then I've realized that with diving it is not so much about speed as it has to do with control and slow movement. With my F1s I have better control and I see more things than I ever did before.

Saying that my split fins did come handy on my snorkeling stamina test for DM as it was easier to snorkel with them for 800 yards w/o getting cramps. Granted this was timed event and I was pushing myself harder than I would ever do diving.

Okay, so I've read the verbal warfare between the pro-split-fin crowd and the anti-split-finners. But what is the real story here? I've never used split fins so I don't know jack about them. What are they for and why the argument about them?

This is not a troll, I am honestly curious about all the hubbub.

Wanna buy my retired Scubapro Twinjets and find out for yourself?

One of these days someone is going to take me up on this.

Split fins are faster than blades because they they move water better. <period> They are also more efficient, work better against current and kick up less stuff from the bottom as well. Physics is physics and truth is truth, they don't care what you think or believe they just are. Come back tomorrow and they will not have changed.

Source?

If you have one, please reference it in the thread vladimir referenced.

If you're just spinning your wheels (bike in high-gear pun intended), never mind.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/325435-split-fin-physics.html

I have both too. Use the splits for large crowd or drift diving and the paddles for deep diving. I like them both but they do feel different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom