Split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I am wondering, and that's if the benefits of split fins, (easier kicking, less leg strain, etc...), couldn't just be achieved with smaller or more flexible paddle fins. I strongly suspect that they could.

I don't think there's anything at all about a cut down the center of the fin that makes them inherently more efficient. In fact I think the added drag probably cuts efficiency marginally.

I don't doubt that for a minute. I will bet you will not finish the class with them though. Just friendly chat chat my fellow diver...:thumb:

Why not? I can't establish buoyancy and hover with split fins? I can't do a controlled descend and ascend with split fins?

My instructor is more concerned with me learning decompression theories, gas management, failure drills than whether or not I look like a cool all-black-gears naval commando.

Why not? I can't establish buoyancy and hover with split fins? I can't do a controlled descend and ascend with split fins?

My instructor is more concerned with me learning decompression theories, gas management, failure drills than whether or not I look like a cool all-black-gears naval commando.

They will not properly function against any kind of a current. I hope you are the lone exception. I truly hope you have a great class. I am just somewhat amused with your faith in the fins....

Last edited:

I suspect Valhalla's comment had nothing to do with your instructor and everything to do with you.

Strap on doubles and a bottle and a drysuit and see if you are comfortable and mobile with the splits. If so, great. Personally, I like having the feedback associated with a stiff paddle, and I hate the "oh crap I can't move" feeling I get from an inadequate fin (which in the case I'm remembering wasn't a split but rather a too-small blade).

Since I got Jet Fins I really struggle to understand why anyone would dive with anything else, whether splits or flimsy paddles.

Their precision and manoeuvrability is amazing.

They're superb in current.

The work great with all styles of finning.

They're easy to get on/off.

They're cheap.

I admit they are a little heavy and can give you cramp if you over work them (because they generate so much thrust/acceleration) but there's rarely any need to.

Probably my best purchase of all time and I could not imagine going back to either splits or flimsy paddles. I defy anyone to try them out on a couple of dives and then go back to what they were using before (unless what they were using before at Jet fin wannabes :D)

J

I'd agree that I like my Apollo Bio 'splits' better than my DiveRite 'paddles', but it's been my experience that most 'tech' instructors will have a major 'cow' if you show up with 'splits'...YMMV.

Since I got Jet Fins I really struggle to understand why anyone would dive with anything else, whether splits or flimsy paddles.

Their precision and manoeuvrability is amazing.

They're superb in current.

The work great with all styles of finning.

They're easy to get on/off.

They're cheap.

I admit they are a little heavy and can give you cramp if you over work them (because they generate so much thrust/acceleration) but there's rarely any need to.

Probably my best purchase of all time and I could not imagine going back to either splits or flimsy paddles. I defy anyone to try them out on a couple of dives and then go back to what they were using before (unless what they were using before at Jet fin wannabes :D)

J

John, strangely enough, I feel just as stongly as you do about my fin selection, but my 'vote' is completely opposite from yours, namely I'm 100% sold on my Apollo Bio 'splits'.....have been diving them for years, and my 'backyard' training/playground is here in the Texas 'Flower Gardens', which is considered pretty advanced diving, with high seas and screaming currents not uncommon, and most liveaboards, when they ask about dive experience, and I tell them the 'Flower Gardens' , they say 'Oh, ...OK!' knowing I'll be the last person they need to worry about on their trip.

There's nothing more fun than trying to reboard a 100 tons of boat yo-yo-ing up and down so bad that that an 8' boat ladder is completely exiting the water, as in the bottom rung is out of the water one instant, and the next instant the entire stern is thundering down trying to turn me into instant ketchup! .....all the while the boat is swinging wildly around the mooring as an added bonus!

.....I'd trust my life to my Apollos any day......and actually have done so many a time! Also, have dove the assorted WWI and WWII wrecks/subs off the coast of North Carolina......10 days on Nautilus Explorer/Socorro Islands....all of which are considered 'big boy' diving...all in my Apollos.

...and there is a DM here on the board (DiveTheGalapagos is her ID here on the board) and she uses the Apollos, and I should think someone who dives Galapagos day in and day out probably knows a thing or two about diving in severe conditions/currents.

Just a little more 'FYI', Apollo makes an XT version which is substantially more rigid than the standard versions.....I've got (3) pairs of the 'standard' version and (1) pair of the XT version, and the XT is very noticably more rigid, so if you're into a rigid feel the XT would feel right at home.

Also, I can't even conceive of diving fins without the SS springstraps, they are a MANDATORY/NON-NEGIOTABLE item in my book. :)

Karl

Actually the split makes a great difference, it is a design choice based on fish tails and modified to work best with your foot. Flippers were designed by someone outside of the water and with the caveat, I don't know if these are any good.

There is of course the non science, my great great great grand daddy understood things better crowd that won't hear of anything but flippers for diving, all I can say is the 20th century happened and it ended just like the 14th you live in, try to catch up.

I fail to see any advantage in using a split fin design.

Attachments

• split spoon and bowl.jpg
    split spoon and bowl.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 50
I fail to see any advantage in using a split fin design.

If you made a couple more cuts (probably not as deep), you'd have a "spork". Some (campers?) find them quite useful.

If you CAN'T see any advantages to using a split fin design, maybe this image of a dolphin's tail could help:

Winters-Field-DolphinTail.jpg

BTW, I don't think their "split-fins" have any more trouble with current than mine do.

Please not that there ARE some split-fins that don't do well in current. I returned a pair of split-fins that I found inadequate/too flimsy for even single-tank recreational diving. As I mentioned in an earlier post to this thread, not all (split)fins are created equal.

I'm also generally not trying to move a truck-load of gear through the water when I go diving.

Just my opinion.

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom