Split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to sound like an advertisement, but the smoke on the water split fins are the best out there. Stiff enough for moderate current, but still forgiving on the legs. It's really all about what you are comfortable with.

Splits are terrible if you need to go anywhere against a current, or sideways to it. Because so many divers rejoice in swimming slow, splits have done well, as they are a very tiny gear, and are kind on the legs of sedentary people that do not want fins made for a "fit" diver.

The fins that actually accomplish what Splits stole credit for, are Force Fins..and Force fins have models for weak sedentary divers, for divers of normal fitness, and for elite athletes. Even the splits for the sedantary, "can" make headway in a big current where Apollo style bio fins will be structurally failing to push the diver fast enough to beat the current.

And for a "fit" diver, without question, a good composite Freedive Fin like DiveR's, will allow a fit diver to drag a split fin wearing diver upcurrent, FASTER than the splitfin wearing diver could swim upcurrent themselves...and that is pretty sad!!!

I'm a little reticent to post a differing opinion because of the respect I have for folks like Dan that regularly dive in very difficult current. I have both splits aned blades. In little or low current I notice virtually no difference between the 2 when doing the frog kick. I used my splits in Palau where it was necessary top go against the current for short sprints (to get to the wall or whatever) and I was able to do everything anyone else could do. Splits CANNOT go backwards. If you are going to do wrecks or cave diving or anything where you need to backup you need to do two things. Use blades and practice a bunch. You need to develop some new muscle tone. I don't doubt that the blades are better against the current but I can only imagine a difference in the most extreme conditions. And I have used splits in some failrly extreme conditions for short sprints. Now I do train for a month before I go on a dive trip. I go to the pool and do 2 plus miles 3 times a week to get my legs ready and I bike on the other days so my legs are fairly strong. That may or may not be a factor. I always use my blades when I'm going somewhere with draconian weight restrictions because the splits (scubapro jets) are twice as heavy, or if going to a wreck diving location. I guess I'm saying that for 90% of recreational diving it won't make much difference which you use.

I'm a little reticent to post a differing opinion because of the respect I have for folks like Dan that regularly dive in very difficult current. I have both splits aned blades. In little or low current I notice virtually no difference between the 2 when doing the frog kick. I used my splits in Palau where it was necessary top go against the current for short sprints (to get to the wall or whatever) and I was able to do everything anyone else could do. Splits CANNOT go backwards. If you are going to do wrecks or cave diving or anything where you need to backup you need to do two things. Use blades and practice a bunch. You need to develop some new muscle tone. I don't doubt that the blades are better against the current but I can only imagine a difference in the most extreme conditions. And I have used splits in some failrly extreme conditions for short sprints. Now I do train for a month before I go on a dive trip. I go to the pool and do 2 plus miles 3 times a week to get my legs ready and I bike on the other days so my legs are fairly strong. That may or may not be a factor. I always use my blades when I'm going somewhere with draconian weight restrictions because the splits (scubapro jets) are twice as heavy, or if going to a wreck diving location. I guess I'm saying that for 90% of recreational diving it won't make much difference which you use.

Thanks for the politeness :)
In fairness, when I talk about currents, I am talking about BIG Currents. Maybe even currents many here would never worry about getting themselves into.....alot of this depends on what you are after, and what kind of diving you like.
And I can't dispute that a good diver with splits "can" get around well, right up until the point at which the current gets to be BIG, and then huge...then, all bets are off :)

With my DiveR's, I can enjoy full tidal exchange water flow in the Palm beach Inlet, and have even done this in one of the tiny inlets with water velocity so fast there are standing waves like in a white water river....with the DiveR's, I can get around, almost no matter what. Of course, in the flows with serious standing waves, I am NOT swimming up current :)

Gosh, a lot of information - its great! I would say I have moderate dive skills, I've done both easier (eg Maldives) and also some more challenging dives (eg Galapagos and Komodo) where the currents were hard work. Until now, Ive used my split fins I think, considering all of the various views on splits vs blades, the best thing I can do now is but some blades and see how I go. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

I always used to think I could frog kick fine in my TUSA Split fins, and I suppose I could. Then one day I borrowed a friends Mares Avanti Quattro Power - WOW. I could generate so much more power & speed with the same effort as my split fins. No leg cramps or anything. Bought myself a pair of these and they are simply the best fin I have used. I would never go back to split fins. They also brought in the 20M+ era for me in freediving.

I've had Apollo's, and changed to Twin Jet Max, which I found better/a bit lighter, and my feet don't sink in them.. Have no problems with frog kicks in the Twin Jet's, but, I'm not an expert. I had problems swimming against currents(followed a DM), no idea how many knots, but when I gave up, I sailed at least 25 meters backwards(if anybody can tell aprx. knots from this I'd be glad to know).
So, when I could get hold of a pair of Seawing Nova's for a good price(same as the DM), I bought a pair... My experience with them is that I did not seem to swim any faster, they were a bit long, so backtracking was not easy, and the same with frog kicks. Would not use them inside wrecks..
I liked the straps though! I'll go back to using the Twin Jet Max, and if I should try anything else, it would be Force Fins or regular Twin Jets/F1's...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom