Split from Exploration dives without a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redhatmama:
But, Jeff, Helium requires a lot of additional training from any agency. A GUE rec diver is pretty limited to dives above 100 feet. It would be such a PITA, too, particularly traveling.
Not really ... I took the IANTD recreational trimix class, and it's nothing a reasonably competent recreational diver wouldn't be able to handle.

The cost of trimix might be more of an inhibiting factor than the training ...

... Bob (Grteful Diver)

redhatmama:
But, Jeff, Helium requires a lot of additional training from any agency.
Gue doesn't have the same view point on Helium as the others do. Its not a voodoo gas :wink:

redhatmama:
A GUE rec diver is pretty limited to dives above 100 feet. It would be such a PITA, too, particularly traveling.
If you follow the rules set out by the mothership then yes. Not everyone follows the rules, and they probably don't go on SB telling people of their strokery :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
Not really ... I took the IANTD recreational trimix class, and it's nothing a reasonably competent recreational diver wouldn't be able to handle.

Hey, what were the pre-reqs for this class?

Don't ask, don't tell. OK. I wonder if rec trimix will catch on? I run into divers all the time who are not even diving nitrox. One of them on my boat got bent.

PerroneFord:
Hey, what were the pre-reqs for this class?
Prior nitrox certification, and some basic in-water tests (buoyancy control, OOA drills, gas planning, and the ability to follow a dive plan).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe I'll look into that. I'm not doing much below 100ft now, but am starting to do some below 80. Would be nice for some of the gulf dives that are 90-110...

-P

where do you guys envision vacationing where you can get those gases? truk...ok.

Think of the places you couldn't go though.

redhatmama:
I wonder if rec trimix will catch on?
There's a couple of threads on that subject. I voted "No...won't catch on". The expense and availability are probably the biggest problem.

Kinda hard to convince someone to add helium to their gas, if they say they are not narc'd. :wink:

catherine96821:
where do you guys envision vacationing where you can get those gases? truk...ok.

Think of the places you couldn't go though.

You could get in Florida, St. Croix, Cozumel. I'm not sure about the Caymans. Would they recognize a "rec trimix" card. The DMs would be nervous, thinking you are doing a deco dive. They wouldn't want you on the boat with the other divers, I would think.

JeffG:
Kinda hard to convince someone to add helium to their gas, if they say they are not narc'd. :wink:

I will admit that I get narced and very noticably below 140 feet. That's where I would consider diving it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom