Split from Exploration dives without a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ditto, I know I get narced over 100 to a degree. So, I limit my time and take a buddy. ALWAYS. (unlike Dennis) It is like knowing your limit with drinks, to a point.

Shoot, I get impaired on really long more shallow dives. One reason I don't dive 100's---and don't laugh---is that I really cannot get into too much trouble on an Al80. maybe I am wrong, but thats my practice.

redhatmama:
I will admit that I get narced and very noticably below 140 feet. That's where I would consider diving it.
In the realm of technical diving, I think eliminating helium is just kinda silly. But our helium price is cheap, so its easy for me to sit on my high horse and preach to the choir. We would do a trip to the west coast for a week and the price difference between the "Nitrox package" vs "the helium package" was less than $500. Comparing that to the ~$25,000 on gear/training/travel that I dropped...its pocket change.

I'm not sure what or how I would think if I lived in a place that the cost of helium was high.

I took the adv. rec tmx with IANTD together with adv. wreck. It made perfect sense to me (in florida)...it will get you onto some of the nicer wrecks and also get you excited about the more undived ones...
Of course then I went back and got a full tmx ticket together with tech. wreck too...

For IANTD the limits are 1,4 & 1,6 for deco...you also get the theory that allow you to make informed decisions about where to set your own personal limits...

I´ll go past 130ft on air in warmwater locations...I did a wreckdive on air @ about 150ft, then I did the same dive on mix...I couldn´t believe it was the same wreck...a good learning experience...if its availabe I´ll use tmx for that depth...

Cost of helium @ lds´s here (the few who have it) is 0,02€/l. I think that´s something like 7,5$/cft so not very cheap...also the logistics are a hassle...most people who dive that way here end up mixing at home...

I haven't gotten to Extended Range yet (Deep Air) or Trimix. So far, the 2 classes I've taken (taking) have covered diving to 130 feet. TDI has lots of steps before you get to Trimix. That might not be the best way to go. But I'm already on the path.

redhatmama:
I haven't gotten to Extended Range yet (Deep Air) or Trimix. So far, the 2 classes I've taken (taking) have covered diving to 130 feet. TDI has lots of steps before you get to Trimix. That might not be the best way to go. But I'm already on the path.
You don't have to do Extended Range to get to trimix.

Adv Nitrox -> Deco Proc -> Trimix

Some instructors use the Extended Range for either a) A chance to train the student more or b) Suck money out of the diver.

redhatmama:
You could get in Florida, St. Croix, Cozumel. I'm not sure about the Caymans. Would they recognize a "rec trimix" card. The DMs would be nervous, thinking you are doing a deco dive. They wouldn't want you on the boat with the other divers, I would think.
It's easy to get trimix in Bonaire ... and dives that are worth using it for.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks, Jeff....didn't know that.

NWGratefulDiver:
It's easy to get trimix in Bonaire ... and dives that are worth using it for.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, like the 2nd reef from the Hilma Hooker. At Buddy's we just got some of the EAN36 63 cu ft. tanks that the old ladies use and slung them. Interesting shore entry. :laughing:

Originally Posted by redhatmama
You could get in Florida, St. Croix, Cozumel. I'm not sure about the Caymans. Would they recognize a "rec trimix" card. The DMs would be nervous, thinking you are doing a deco dive. They wouldn't want you on the boat with the other divers, I would think.

I think your concern is justified...I´ve showed my tmx card on vacation to get a nitrox fill and the conversation usually goes like this:
Dm: -So can you dive nitrox with that then?
Me: -yes
Dm: -that´s alright then...
(this was with a "tech operator" who actually had scr´s and tmx prices listed)

Most ppl won´t have a clue about your "tech certs"...I´ve started bringing copies of IANTD standards with me on vacation...just in case...

JeffG:
You don't have to do Extended Range to get to trimix.

Adv Nitrox -> Deco Proc -> Trimix

Some instructors use the Extended Range for either a) A chance to train the student more or b) Suck money out of the diver.

I'm going to take a course that has Advanced Nitrox and Extended Range combined. Not sure which agency but it's through the John Bennett school in the Philippines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom