Split from: How to be a better solo diver thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
**** This thread was created to divert OT discussion from this other thread. Snowbear ****

hey, what are you doing in here? first you have to admit to solo, or you can't come in. did I miss something?...okay, I am going away now, but just for the record, my solos are loosely planned. As I plan to get picked up somewhere. Has to be like that cause the current switches so that means so does the topography, what caverns you can access, etc.

catherine96821:
hey, what are you doing in here?

Who me? Oh.....well I never said I didn't solo. Just that I didn't think we should encourage it.

My last solo dive was two fridays ago. 35 metres for 30 minutes on the bottom and 30 minutes hanging.

R..

Nemrod:
Why is that?

Because I think people need to decide for themselves if solo diving is an option or not. Anything we do to "advance" it or "encourage" people to try it is selling solo diving. I'm against that because we simply don't know enough about the people reading it. I don't believe that solo diving should be undertaken by just anybody and while trying to make it more popular and/or break down the taboos around it might have some, perhaps self-serving, value, I'm not at all convinced that it's helpful to the target audience.

Good points about keeping things simple.

R..

edited from Nemrod's Post:
"Who me? Oh.....well I never said I didn't solo. Just that I didn't think we should encourage it. "

Why is that? This is a no troll zone I thought. Leaving that aside...

**** MOD POST ****
From NetDoc's Forum Sticky:

Still, there are many out there who practice this type of diving and so it's techniques and safety should be discussed in an open forum.
<snip>

The discussion is not to be centered around whether to do a solo dive, but in the techniques and strategies involved.

Thank you
**** END MOD POST ****

I get so confused...somebody help...why was the mod-ed?

It's frequently encouraged implicitly and explicitly without the mods jumping on it (at least not that I've seen).

Are you saying that it's wrong to wonder if this soft-sell is wise and/or helpful?

R..

I think solo diving is a personal decision. I solo dive and talking about it is fine but doesn't mean I'm recommending it. When we talk about it on the rest of the board I don't think we should have to qualify it every time by saying "don't try this at home".

*Disclaimer* This is just a statement about how we should address it in open forum, not about questioning it.

When I was teaching I always mentioned that the buddy system has flaws. You can allow yourself into a mindset where you know you're safe, because you have a great buddy. That in itself is dangerous in my opinion. On the other hand if you are as prepared as a solo diver then you honestly are much safer functioning in a buddy team.

Then again lets not forget the dangerous buddies that are out there, like many of my newbie open water students. Actually they were safer than many "experienced" divers because the skills were new and recently practiced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom