Split from: How to be a better solo diver thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
I'm not saying it's wrong or right.
There is a place to question it, and it has been questioned plenty, but this forum is not the place to do it :wink:

Quite the contrary, the solo forum is *exactly* the place for solo divers to philosophize about the wisdom of their choices. By blocking this kind of discussion you're killing any chance that potential solo divers who scan that forum have of hearing practitioners talk openly about their reservations with respect people getting into it. So aside from the useful but constantly rehashed discussion about material and technique (most of which can be summarized in a two page sticky), what's left? The chest thumping from people, some of whom probably don't get further than talking the talk? The lyrically positive (read pushy) posts from people Nemrod who think the whole world should solo dive? The people asking what they need getting the RA-RA, Go-Go, Who-da-Man, Be-da-Man B.S. While any meaningful discussion of risk is systematically purged?

You might see it as cutting off the arm to have the life but what scubaboard is really doing is actively participating in a soft-sell of solo diving to divers who you don't know, many of whom probably shouldn't be doing it.

"Rules" or no "rules" this is wrong. I think people who are interested should have access to both sides of the discussion so they can make informed choices. There is a big difference between people who do not solo bashing solo diving and active practitioners warning people that it isn't just "the next level".

R..

Diver0001:
I think people who are interested should have access to both sides of the discussion so they can make informed choices.
Absolutely. And they do have that access. There have actually been quite a number of those discussions in the Basic Scuba Forum, including one that's been quite active recently.

This is very similar to the rules of the DIR forum, where the idea is it's a place where folks can go to get info about the system from those who consider themselves 'DIR trained' without the detractors constantly coming in and giving non-DIR answers.

Here, the idea is that folks who have decided to start solo diving have a place to come and ask others who do so how they attempt make this practice "safer."

Does it always work that way? No. Some of the discussions still get sidetracked. If the sidetracking gets brought to our attention, either informally or formally 'reported,' a mod will usually step in deal with it, as I did here. However, this board has become so huge that it's impossible for us to sift through every discussion, so we rely heavily on the other members letting us know when there's a problem.

Snowbear:
without the detractors

I object to labelling contributors who believe that issues should be fleshed on all sides a detractors. I believe this is unfair, incorrect and devalues the forum. (not to mention that I find it personally insulting).

If this is how it needs to be then I think there should be a big sticky at the top of the solo forum that reads

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW IF SOLO DIVING IS FOR YOU, THEN YOU ARE IN THE WRONG FORUM. PLEASE REFER TO THE BASIC SCUBA DISCUSSIONS FORUM FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION. THIS FORUM IS STRICTLY FOR PRACTITIONERS.

(which, of course, is very odd seeing as how practitioners don't need these discussions)

If you would do that, then I would be happy. The current sticky is too vague and is too focused on what the moderators will do to you if you become a "detractor".

If not then people who THINK they are in the right forum will get this:

Q: How do I get into solo diving?

Ans#1: Solo diving is beautiful. Buy a pony and experience the joy

Ans#2: *** removed by Mod for trolling ***

R..

Diver0001:
I object to labelling contributors who believe that issues should be fleshed on all sides a detractors. I believe this is unfair, incorrect and devalues the forum. (not to mention that I find it personally insulting).
I was absolutely not trying to insult you in any way. I humbly apologize for coming accross that way :frown:
Diver0001:
If this is how it needs to be then I think there should be a big sticky at the top of the solo forum that reads

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW IF SOLO DIVING IS FOR YOU, THEN YOU ARE IN THE WRONG FORUM. PLEASE REFER TO THE BASIC SCUBA DISCUSSIONS FORUM FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION. THIS FORUM IS STRICTLY FOR PRACTITIONERS.

(which, of course, is very odd seeing as how practitioners don't need these discussions)

If you would do that, then I would be happy.
Good idea, though I'll change the wording a bit :wink:
As for how to make the sticky "big" I'm clueless.....

R. You shouldn't get upset with Snowbear. Before the Solo diving forum was created it was almost impossible for anyone to have a thread on the topic without getting seriously flamed. I know....I tried:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=50916

I know for a fact that Snowbear feels similar concerns as yourself regarding the topic. I remember (but can't find right now....Snow?) one she started about entanglements and whether you could really get out on your own. Regardless of that, and despite the reservations of many others around this topic, I believe the idea was - if they're going to do it anyway then maybe a forum of how/best/safe practices was actually a good idea. The last time I looked the solo forum was also opt-in - ie. only interested people need apply. This is the basis for the protection that is there...and therefore the basis for how it's moderated. It's hard to concentrate if a lot of people are busy telling you you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. I posted the thread above just after I joined the board. People had NO IDEA who I was at the time, or my attitude towards diving. It's really amazing what people think they know from a few posts from someone on the net.

Kim:
R. You shouldn't get upset with Snowbear.

Oh... I'm not as upset as I probably sound and I'm certainly not upset with Snowbear.

The last time I looked the solo forum was also opt-in - ie. only interested people need apply

That's where it falls on it's face. You're probably assuming that the people who opt in either already have their bases covered or have already decided to try it. I'm assuming that many are just curious and wondering if solo diving is something they should try. These people would be better off with a less one-sided message. For example, I bet a lot of people reading the solo section have a BMI well over 29 or other medical risks. Do you know who they are? I sure don't..... What do you think we should tell them? That a pony bottle is all they need?

R..

R. I hear you loud and clear. I suppose though that it comes down to the fact that you can't be all things to all people all the time. As it stands now we have the solo forum for people to have discussions free of criticism - although of course that doesn't (to me) automatically mean that the pre-conditions, including health or anything else, can't be listed. If people want to blow through good advice then it becomes up to them...no? It's similar to the DIR forum. Think of something like smoking and I hope you'll understand what I'm trying to say. It's fine for someone to say that you can't be DIR if you smoke in there.
Of course - more general anti-solo or anti-DIR messages are OK in other places (if people can remain civil with each other at the same time! eyebrow)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom