Split from: How to be a better solo diver thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Because I think people need to decide for themselves if solo diving is an option or not. Anything we do to "advance" it or "encourage" people to try it is selling solo diving. I'm against that because we simply don't know enough about the people reading it. I don't believe that solo diving should be undertaken by just anybody and while trying to make it more popular and/or break down the taboos around it might have some, perhaps self-serving, value, I'm not at all convinced that it's helpful to the target audience.

Good points about keeping things simple.

R..

I'm another frequent solo diver who agrees 100% with this point. Well said!

Diver0001:
... For example, I bet a lot of people reading the solo section have a BMI well over 29 or other medical risks. Do you know who they are? I sure don't..... What do you think we should tell them? That a pony bottle is all they need?
Actually, telling them about fitness, training, redundancy, etc... is the WHOLE POINT about this forum. I left your post in that other thread because it was completely valid. What I removed was the discussion that came later that did not answer the original post and is technically outside the rules of the forum. I DID leave it here in the solo forum because it's a valid discussion about what this forum is for and what is and isn't allowed.

Anyhow, I'll work on the sticky later. Right after I posted that last post we got called out for a structure fire. I just got back and now need to go do the fire report. Since it's now a bit after 5am now, I think I'm gonna have a hard time staying awake in class all day....

I think there will always be arguments in this forum. And the arguments could well be between solo divers, not anti solos saying why not to do it. For instance, one solo diver may think diving to 100 feet in 3 foot vis with strong current in an area known to be used by gill netters, is OK. I would tell him he's nuts. So the argument starts.....It's a bit like discussing deep air diving.

Snowbear:
Actually, telling them about fitness, training, redundancy, etc... is the WHOLE POINT about this forum. I left your post in that other thread because it was completely valid. What I removed was the discussion that came later that did not answer the original post and is technically outside the rules of the forum. I DID leave it here in the solo forum because it's a valid discussion about what this forum is for and what is and isn't allowed.

Anyhow, I'll work on the sticky later. Right after I posted that last post we got called out for a structure fire. I just got back and now need to go do the fire report. Since it's now a bit after 5am now, I think I'm gonna have a hard time staying awake in class all day....

I see. Well I guess where the disconnect is for me is that I don't see much difference between telling people they need to be in shape and suggesting that we shouldn't encourage people we don't know because we can't be sure what kind of shape they're in.

You handled this gracefully, BTW. I don't suppose I'm the easiest person to deal with when I'm in a snit. I hope your day at work improved after your last post :)

R..

I agree Hank. There is no structure in place for divers to follow so yes, there will always be disagreements. Right now it is up to the individual to say what is right for them.

Diver0001:
I don't suppose I'm the easiest person to deal with when I'm in a snit.
LOL.... you're by far not the most difficult either :D
No worries - I still like you and still look forward to reading your posts. Most of the time I actually agree with what you have to say. Someday I hope to get to dive with you :D
Diver0001:
I hope your day at work improved after your last post :)
After a vehicle fire and a false alarm, my work day ended. Then I was late for class, but they started late anyway, so no big deal. I even somehow managed to stay awake, but I don't think I'll be on here for long though :11:

OK... I'll go work on that stickie now....

they need to be in shape and suggesting that we shouldn't encourage people we don't know because we can't be sure what kind of shape they're in.

What is the word I am searching for...not condescending, not patronizing,..not patrician, but there is a word when you take the authority to condone or not for another individual which flies in the face of my love for individual personal freedoms. What makes you assume you should decide this, Rob? I am not trying to be argumentative. I think you operate from an assumption that seems presumptious to me. I think you are one of the best "cognitive" (since I have never dove with you) divers on this board, but I cannot relate to the responsibility you feel towards an adult who has pushed the solo button...

I agree with Nemrod, comparing it to sex education. I think, given all the solo divers who have surfaced lately, we could use a little light in here. When you said "well there is nothing to know about" that dissapointed me a bit because I would like to think of your mind as a bit more open.

To your credit, I have decided not to discuss it too much in the basic forum.

Personally, I think the closet, secretive part of solo diving is responsible for a lot of the anti-DIR sentiment. There is this feeling that DIR folks must really consider themselves superior to be against it but do it themselves and not talk about it. Not to be overdramatic, but I feel a bit "duped". the psychology of it, is like...."what else are they not forthcoming about?" Not because of you, but this entire revelation has shook my faith in "the church" a bit. Why does it matter? Because I am not on this board to hear my own thoughts, I am on here to test my reality against other's thoughts...and when I think of all the times I have made my case about solo, fought the battle, and now, half the board is like "oh, yea, we all do it...", what am I to think? .... That people don't feel they can admit it or would like to skip the heat they know they will take.

I feel a responsibilty to give an honest impression of how I dive if I am going to give opinions and possibly influence others. Is it just me, or does this make sense?

I am still going to discuss it in the main forum. I do now and I'm not going to curtail my posts. I have never been a advocate of solo diving but I'm not going to hide the way I dive.

Sorry Catherine, I didn't see the edit until I posted but I think we are both on the same page. People will dive the way they want and admitting that we solo dive does not mean we are in any way promoting it.

Dennis, I think once people opt in, we should not have to worry about whether we are promoting it or not. Even if I say "it is the best part of my diving", I think people once they have opted in can handle that.

In the general forums, I would be willing to be respectful of others' strong sentiments against it, if they could just back off in the solo designated forum with the danger, danger bit. It is all one big guilt trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom