Sri Lanka Aggressor Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone here been on the Sri Lanka Aggressor yet? It launched last Fall, and I think they've only done a trip or two thus far, one of which I read that the guests were ultimately given a land-based tour instead of a dive trip! I'm nervous about a trip a friend and I are booked to go on in Feb 2017 because the boat is being pulled completely out of the water in January for some "additional maintenance." We've been waiting in vain for more information about what's wrong with the boat. I thought maybe a guest on a prior sailing might know some information about this based on direct experience.

Have you contacted them directly to find out?

Yes. It's been a confusing planning process for this trip, given that they're just starting out in Sri Lanka. Information has been hard to come by, that's why I'm asking here as a last resort.

I am heading there in May, but using a local operator that one of my tech buddies has been in contact with and used before.

I was on a canceled trip recently. Appears that they have a stability issue with the strong currents when the vessel is moored causing a lot of rock'n'roll and plenty green faces. I think it will be more than just 'maintenance' - more like a refit or some structural changes to make it right.

We ended up diving with Island Scuba from Mt Lavinia, that visit many of the same sites & wrecks Aggressor would have done. That is a small but a super nice operation and they saved our holiday!

That sounds awful! So how did it happen, everyone sick on the Sri Lanka Aggressor for a few days (or how long?) and then they just offloaded you somewhere and you guys found another dive operator to take you for the remaining days of your trip?

I was on a canceled trip recently. Appears that they have a stability issue with the strong currents when the vessel is moored causing a lot of rock'n'roll and plenty green faces. I think it will be more than just 'maintenance' - more like a refit or some structural changes to make it right.

We ended up diving with Island Scuba from Mt Lavinia, that visit many of the same sites & wrecks Aggressor would have done. That is a small but a super nice operation and they saved our holiday!

I can tell you that they are spending a tremendous amount of time and effort to make that boat work. I didn't know tht there was a problem, but I know a bunch of folks in the business (liveaboard boat folks) are going there to make the boat ready for charter.

I can tell you that they are spending a tremendous amount of time and effort to make that boat work. I didn't know tht there was a problem, but I know a bunch of folks in the business (liveaboard boat folks) are going there to make the boat ready for charter.

My problem is that we've been the subject of misinformation or no information at all since the start. First it was permitting issues, then it was confusion and nonsensical land transportation schedules to/from the airport to the harbor, then finally the 'additional maintenance' of the boat that requires it to be pulled out of the water for a month and a half, just before our trip.

Pulling a boat that size out of the water for 6 weeks, and as you say 'spending a tremendous amount of time and effort to make that boat work' with regard to stability issues, do not sound like maintenance and repairs - which is what's been communicated to us as guests scheduled to be aboard next month.

It sounds and feels like the Sri Lanka Aggressor is a complete disaster at the moment! People being given a land tour, sorting out other dive operators on the fly to salvage parts of their trip... these are not things I want to be a part of and the travel agency we booked through is not letting us cancel for a refund. I am seriously considering just eating the $4,000 plus my flights and just moving on with my life. What an ordeal.

My problem is that we've been the subject of misinformation or no information at all since the start. First it was permitting issues, then it was confusion and nonsensical land transportation schedules to/from the airport to the harbor, then finally the 'additional maintenance' of the boat that requires it to be pulled out of the water for a month and a half, just before our trip.

Pulling a boat that size out of the water for 6 weeks, and as you say 'spending a tremendous amount of time and effort to make that boat work' with regard to stability issues, do not sound like maintenance and repairs - which is what's been communicated to us as guests scheduled to be aboard next month.

It sounds and feels like the Sri Lanka Aggressor is a complete disaster at the moment! People being given a land tour, sorting out other dive operators on the fly to salvage parts of their trip... these are not things I want to be a part of and the travel agency we booked through is not letting us cancel for a refund. I am seriously considering just eating the $4,000 plus my flights and just moving on with my life. What an ordeal.
Be sure your trip insurance is paid up in full.

$4K is a lot to eat, after a few issues with ear infections on overseas dive trips I always take out insurance.

Back
Top Bottom