Standardized Prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings all,

I have been reading this thread with some interest and up until now I have sat on the sidelines. It seems like the same points are raised, challenged and countered on a regular basis here on SB. I don't think this will ever stop but maybe we can do something interesting in this case. For the most part I have been encouraged by the mature level of discourse but there still seems to be several who comment about GUE and GUE dive training but to my knowledge have not taken any GUE training. This seems a little strange to me but in this case we might be able to address this. I have read several times how GUE training is expensive for multiple reasons including class fees, equipment requirements (if you don't have the right equipment,) etc., so I would propose to remove some of these impediments. I don't know you Dale, but I have read several of your posts and I know you live in Vancouver or the Vancouver area. I live and regularly teach on Vancouver Island. Lynne, I know personally (hi Lynne:)) but haven't seen for a while. Dale, I think it is time to correct you lack of GUE training :) I propose we coordinate a GUE Fundamentals class for you, Lynne and someone else. I will offer both of you this class and provide you with any or all additional equipment you may need to be able to take the class at no charge. We will need to find someone else and I would prefer someone who has participated in this thread or another diver who is "GUE curious". I will make the same offer to them.

There is one requirement for attending this class. You must agree to engage in an ongoing dialogue about the class, during the class (kind of like a blog thing) here on SB to keep everyone else in the loop. Lynne, I know you have already done Fundamentals but this may be a fun way for you to update yourself with current GUE protocols and initiatives etc. Maybe you can even talk Peter into attending :) Dale, you will have the opportunity to ask a zillion questions about GUE and GUE training and get the answers from a GUE instructor as opposed to the internet etc. At the very least you will be an informed critic at the end of the class :) Lynne, I think it will be interesting for you to participate with Dale because I believe that a group discussion between us all will be entirely interesting!

I realize that the students will have to find time in their schedules to attend but I will work with everyone to make the logistics as easy as possible. Maybe we can do it over two weekends or something like that. I will provide all the breathing gases etc., at no charge. The class will be here on Vancouver Island so you will have to travel but I hope that by removing as many of the other impediments as possible it will make it worthwhile. You will have to pay the GUE registration fee when you sign up for the class. It is not much and the money goes to support our Project Baseline initiatives around the world so I think it is a worthy cause.

So what do you say?

best,

Guy Shockey
GUE Instructor Trainer

oooohhhh now this is going to get good. I have a feeling lots of already tech certified divers don't avoid fundies due to the cost (although it's a great smoke screen), but rather because they're scared they will not tech pass.

Guy, that is an amazing offer! I have wanted to come up to Canada to meet and dive with Dale for a while -- I enjoy our discussions, and I love his videos and website of his lake work. I will do this, but we may have to schedule out a few months, because I have to request weekend time off at least two months in advance.

Peter wants to know, if you already have a tech pass and take fundies in a single tank, do you get demoted to a rec pass? :)

Hi Lynne, I am good with scheduling out a few months also. Tell Peter, that yes, I can actually even remove his PADI instructor status if he insists on doing fin pivots in class....:)

To all, I would like to make clear that this is not an attempt to "call anyone out". My offer is sincere and intended to encourage open and public dialogue about what a GUE class is and what it is not. There is simply too much misinformation thrown around and perpetuated on the internet. Hence, my intention to help clear things up a bit, at least for the relatively small group that reads this section of SB and maybe participates in the online conversations. I have taught many tech instructors who were challenged by fundamentals but also many OW divers with as little as 50 dives who did quite well. I regularly take classes in subjects that are new to me in order to keep grounded in what it is like to be a student again lest I take for granted what fundamentals students feel like. My latest is skydiving and while it may seem very different in terms of the environment, there are also many similarities in how the training works and it's importance in being proficient.

We may need another student so if you are interested please post on this thread.

best,

Guy

.... We may need another student so if you are interested please post on this thread. best, Guy

A few more dives with the new set of doubles and I might be ready to brave the challenge of upgrading my Rec to a Tec pass ...

BRad

Well, I didn't expect to read that when I logged in :)

I am both impressed and very appreciative of that incredible offer. I know what it represents. It really shows a cool, positive attitude and approach.

And I accept! Hopefully we can turn it into an interesting social experiment as well as build a few bridges. I will certainly do my part to participate wholeheartedly and share the experience with others.

As it is I am pretty good for weekends and have some gear, we can talk and you can give me your opinion on what I have as it pertains to the course. I will PM you and Lynne with my email address and we can talk.

Super! I'm feeling jazzed about training with both you and Lynne.

Best regards,
Dale

Last edited:
hOORAY! Now we just need a third.

Awesome folks, and great attitude DaleC. And, of course, my hat is off to Guy for an offer like this. Very nice. I like the direction this is headed, and look forward to the daily reports - that is, if the team isn't too tired after a Fundies day to write a report! :)

Most Excellent! We have ourselves a horserace! :)

Now we need a third.....someone who will commit to sharing their experience with the rest of the gang reading this. AJ, I hear you could use some remedial work......;-)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom