Standardized Prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you still looking for a foresome? Its not fair that I am no longer a Seattle resident. Living in Singapore, its a long trip back home and my warmest wetsuit is a 5mm! ;~) charlie

All,

I was contacted directly by a diver wishing to join our team and he also happens to be from Vancouver so the logistics will be relatively easy (sorry Charlie :)

I think he is new on SB and couldn't post in this forum yet but he is a 15 year military and 3 year law enforcement veteran and promises to participate in the after action reviews. :)

best,

Guy

Cool! Now all we need are dates. And it's a good thing you're okay with scheduling out a ways, because I just broke my hand, and I'll be out of the water a while . . .

As a former ski professional and DM, it my feeling that skiing and diving are not that similar. The ski racing analogy is not appropriate - it takes much talent, ambition, and lifetime of full- or near-full time training to reach national or international level of skiing. If one learns to ski at 45 years old (similar to my wife, a talented athlete), that skier will never learn the necessary muscle memory or skills to ski in all conditions, terrain or weather. That said, the bulk of the skiing public still has fun. Few ski instructors, at a PSIA Level 3, are not really able to ski steep slopes with marginal conditions or effectively ski a challenging or technical course. But they are still effective ski instructors. Most skiers do not need instruction at a national coaching level. Similarly, many divers do not need training from Danny Riordan or JP Brewster or even at a GUE standard.

Scuba is a way more accessible sport than skiing. As far as I can tell, GUE was designed to support underwater exploration within the farthest reaches of the aquatic realm (adapted and modified from the GUE mission statement). Most recreational divers can learn a lot from this training, but I am not sure that one needs to take Fundies in order to dive with grace and skill.

I think that the DIR/tech community might give more credit to mainstream dive instructors. Some instructors have decent dive skills and have the ability to teach those skills. A few weeks ago, I was a DM for a group of four, with two divers that just purchased a new kit (everything was new, including a BCD with an integrated inflation/deflation system). They had very poor buoyancy, trim, and gas consumption. After five dives and a bit of coaching, they had much better buoyancy and were beginning to work on their trim. With more time underwater and coaching, I suspect that they will begin to get the feeling of effortless diving, better gas consumption, and proper trim. Many divers are not interested in tech diving, nor learning how to perform delicate frog kicks. Perhaps, mainstream agency dive instructors or DM’s might benefit from a Fundies class.

This is in 1 day too. And it got nothing to do with tech diving.

[video=youtube_share;qY0KTHeT6Bk]http://youtu.be/qY0KTHeT6Bk[/video]

Hey all, my name is Ryan and I am the third diver that Guy was referring to earlier. I am very much looking forward to getting in the water with you all and learning some new things. This should be a lot of fun!

Welcome to Scubaboard and the DIR forum, Ryan. Again, I look forward to the class reports.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2014 at 03:24 PM ----------

Cool! Now all we need are dates. And it's a good thing you're okay with scheduling out a ways, because I just broke my hand, and I'll be out of the water a while . . .

Sorry to hear this, Lynne....well, actually I saw it on your FB page before here. Anyway, get well soon and get this class rolling. :)

Dear Guy,

I have had the pleasure and privilege of diving with Lynne on one occasion and we have spoken on a couple of others. I have been very interested and GUE-curious for some time. Seems like you have a highly skilled and qualified threesome, but if there is any opportunity for a 4th, I would love to join you.

I am a relatively inexperienced diver with ~220 dives from Chicago. I have a DM rating but it has been (through nobody's fault but my own) far more 'academic' than practical. In the long-term I would love to become cave certified but it is not a viable option for me in the near future.

In any case, the offer you put out there was beyond generous. If the possibility of joining you exists, I would consider myself extremely fortunate. If not, though, -- and to be perfectly truthful! -- you may well encounter me as a paying customer at some point in the future!

-Joseph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom