Standarizing APEKS Second Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DomRep Diving

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
Maybe the title is not the best but here is my "problem". I have a Mares Abyss that I use for open water dives, and for OW training since I'm finishing my DiveCon, and Padi and Naui DiveMaster. I want to buy an octopus for it, but I though of what could be a better option.
I saw that the Apeks Tx40 with the DS4 is not that expensive. So I though I could buy the combo, and get the TX40 as my octopus for some time, since I'm getting to Cave in the near future, I know I will need some more regs.
Now, my question is, Am I going to be able to change the hose of the TX40 (1/2") to a standard (3/8") as my Abyss uses?
Also, I think I can buy a 3/8" hose, but will it fit the TX40? I mean, the side of the hose that connects to the second stage, is that also another unusual size?
I don't know if the last question was clear, but hope you understand...
Thanks In Advance...
Orlando

The only Apeks with an odd port on the first stages are the TX100 and ATX200. The DS4 has all 3/8" ports. So the hose with the TX40 will fit the Mares first stage. The second stage end is standard.

JoelW

Thanks for all the info....
Let's see if I got It right... If I buy the Tx40 or 50 with a DS4 I will be able to remove the second stage with the hose, and just plug it into my MR22 first stage to use it as my octo.

But if I buy the DST first stage I will have to change JUST the hose and I will not have to change anything to the second stage. Just the hose and plug it to my MR22, am I right?
:confused:

I'm confused as to what you're trying to do, but maybe this will help:

Any 3/8 hose will fit on either of those first stage and all of the second stages. You need to plug the 1/2 " port on the Apeks, if it's not plugged already. The Apeks may come with a 1/2" hose attached to it's second stage. Just throw it away (or keep it as an emergeny spare.

Now mix and match as you require.

One caveat-I'm not sure of the recommended IP settings on the Mares. Make sure that it matches the Apeks.

Well.... I guess I''ll buy the TX40 with DST since it is at a pretty nice price at DiveInn, and I'll buy a 3/9 hose for it to add it to my Mares.... Btw... which is the "RIGHT" size DIR recommends for the octo hose? I'm not a DIR diver, but I want to try the bungee back-up, so I think I should also use the size of hose they recommend...
Thanks for all the help....

The recommended length of your bungee backup hose should be 22-24 inches depending on your body size. The 22 inch hose might be too short and you won't be able to turn your head to the left if you are breathing off of it.

BTW, if you are planning to go to a DIRF class, I would go the route of the DS4 instead of the DST. The difference is that the DS4 is a turret while the DST is a swivel, which is not recommended as the swivel adds an extra failure point.

Thomas

So.... I guess the Turret is a "nice feature" for recreational diving, so it is more expensive... then why everywhere I see the DS4 is more expensive than the DST?
Am I right, or should I look somewhere else?
Do you know of any good place online (since I live in the caribbean and my LDS is just rec stuff) where I can find them for a reasonable price?

Back
Top Bottom