Starting cert, have a question for other divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In our experience with new students, we have them do 5 breaths when they take their mask off for certification, then put the mask back on. The best way we found to teach them this was to breathe through a snorkel without a mask like I said. After a few times, it just becomes instinctual not to breathe in your nose when underwater.

When I did my first pool session I found the hardest thing to overcome was 40 years of survival instinct to hold your breath when you go under water. I started to go down and kept thinking to myself...self...what is missing here? Quickly realized that I had all this gear on and this thing in my mouth, so I took a breath. Similar process the second time I decended after that it became second nature. I think the same will be true about breathing through your mouth. You'll take a breath through your nose, get nothing, conciously begin mouth breathing and bam....your a convert.

Learn to breathe using the snorkle. Later in the class you will have to take off your mask and breathe with just the 2nd stage regulator. It's not as hard as it seems but practice will make it easier.
Good luck.

Another thing that I noticed with Snorkels, You are adding a considerable amount of dead air space by attaching a tube to your mouth. Some people feel like they are not getting enough air because of the CO2 buildup in the dead space. I am one of these people. If you start to feel like your going to suffocate don't worry, take deeper breaths and it will go away.

When I first started diving I had problems the first time we used the equipment in the pool. It felt like I was not getting enough air and hyperventilating, not sure if it was just something new for me or a crappy rental reg. I regained my composure and did great in the class. Now I don't even think about it , its just as natural as breathing on land now. Just take it easy and you'll do just fine, I've found that most of the time when people have problems in a scuba class its entirely mental.

Happened to me, too. In fact, it was three days ago. Surprised the heck out of me! Though my brain was saying "get the hell out of here!," I had the presence of mind to signal the DI that I was OK, but going up. Disgusted with myself, I tried to replay the problems I was encountering in my mind and figure out how to deal with them. It all started after I'd successfully removed and cleared my mask and began to struggle with my way-heavy weight belt. I got out of breath and just couldn't feel like I was getting enough air, including big coughing.

I calmed myself down in the shallow end and pulled my hood back (which was pretty tight and unneeded at the pool temps).

I re-descended and ran through all skills without a problem.

I'd learned that I need to take things slowly underwater and not get out of breath. I hope that I've convinced myself that should I screw up and get out of breath, I'll have the presence of mind simply to stop what I'm doing and breath slowly and deeply until the feeling passes.

Glad to hear that it's happened to others and that they went on to become fine divers.

Welcome to the world of diving! It is great to hear of your up comming training. As you have already heard from others on this thread only great things are ahead for you! Trust me when I say, I understand your conserns I had the same responses and it can be fustrating at times but it gets better with practice. The coolest thing about diving is to commit to it. If it takes extra practice just do it! The more time spent perfecting skills is time well spent! So with that have a blast and enjoy! Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!:)

There are mamy techniques that work to solve these sorts of problems. My favorite is to help the student to learn independently control their nose and mouth. Try this:

1) At the surface, with your head out of the water and no mask, take a full breath and then alternate short bursts of exhalation between your nose and mouth. After you’ve done this several times take a full breath, and do the same thing, only this time submerge your entire face after a few cycles on the surface. Repeat this until you are very comfortable (or feel very stupid<G>).
2) Now put your mask on and repeat the process. Start out of the water, move to face submerged, DO NOT FLOOD YOUR MASK.
3) Now repeat the process, but flood your mask after your first exhalation with your face in the water.
4) Now try and clear your mask, fully submerged, as per normal.
5) Let me know how this works for you.

Hi,

I have just started my OW course this week and had 1 pool session last night. I got problem completing one of the drills, filling up the mask with water fully and learning to clear the water. After trying to clear the water, I always end up water in my mouth or nose and i started to panic coz my eyes are closed as I wear contact lenses. Tried many times and also tried to use the method of purging water from regulator. But still don't seem to do it well.

Any advice from the experienced divers how can i overcome this problem?

Hi,

I have just started my OW course this week and had 1 pool session last night. I got problem completing one of the drills, filling up the mask with water fully and learning to clear the water. After trying to clear the water, I always end up water in my mouth or nose and i started to panic coz my eyes are closed as I wear contact lenses. Tried many times and also tried to use the method of purging water from regulator. But still don't seem to do it well.

Any advice from the experienced divers how can i overcome this problem?
Try the exercise that I described earlier.

After trying to clear the water, I always end up water in my mouth or nose and i started to panic coz my eyes are closed as I wear contact lenses.

My $0.02.

I realize this isn't what you asked and you may already know all this, but in my opinion (and in case you haven't) divers should have some degree of comfort diving without a mask with their eyes open. If your mask gets knocked off, even seeing a blur may help you get it back, or read your gauge and surface safely. Some contacts stay in the eyes better than others underwater (size), and you may be less worried about loosing one if you dive with cheap disposables.

Just something to keep in mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom