Starting cert, have a question for other divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My $0.02.

I realize this isn't what you asked and you may already know all this, but in my opinion (and in case you haven't) divers should have some degree of comfort diving without a mask with their eyes open. If your mask gets knocked off, even seeing a blur may help you get it back, or read your gauge and surface safely. Some contacts stay in the eyes better than others underwater (size), and you may be less worried about loosing one if you dive with cheap disposables.

Just something to keep in mind.
I couldn't agree more. All divers should be completely comfortable without a mask. This objective is simultaneously often frightening to new students but remarkably easy for a competent instructor to accomplish. One should question the ability of the instructor of any student who fails to be able to comfortably do so.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Yesterday, I managed to complete the drill of filling my mask to the maximum and slowly clear the water in my mask slowly and pinching my nose when i was breathing from regulator and the water is not fully cleared yet. I also did the drill of removing my mask underwater and swim around before putting it back on. Removal and swimming without mask with eyes closed was not too bad. But the process of putting the mask back on my face and slowly removing the water in my mask was more tricky. Hopefully i will get the hang of it in tonight's pool session.

My $0.02.

I realize this isn't what you asked and you may already know all this, but in my opinion (and in case you haven't) divers should have some degree of comfort diving without a mask with their eyes open. If your mask gets knocked off, even seeing a blur may help you get it back, or read your gauge and surface safely. Some contacts stay in the eyes better than others underwater (size), and you may be less worried about loosing one if you dive with cheap disposables.

Just something to keep in mind.

Now how many different 'sizes' do you think CTL's come in these days???...?Are you meaning the diameter or the B.C.(base curve) of the lenses???......

Now how many different 'sizes' do you think CTL's come in these days???...?Are you meaning the diameter or the B.C.(base curve) of the lenses???......

I was thinking diameter. I'm no expert, but different brands and different types generally equals different diameters. Of course, some people also have more luck with certain lenses than others, so some experimentation may also be helpful to determine which works for a particular individual.

Practice Mouth Breathing..

Pinch your nose and take deep breaths in and out through your mouth. This will get you in rythym.

Back
Top Bottom