Steam Machine Prizm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrySuitDave once bubbled...
Joe, how does the Infinito accomplish C02 monitoring....

Now if such a think can be added to the Turtle....

Ever get your unit yet?

Haven't gotten mine yet :(

I'll know more next month when I go to England next month.. Have to assist in crossing over an IT to ANDI..

Rumours are APD have been working on 2 lines of CO2 monitoring for a long time

Problem is that existing Infra Red CO2 monitors (cheap and easy to get hold of), just dont work in the high humidity and high gas flow

Also a CO2 moniter is not much use, there should be NO CO2 exiting an active scrubber. When it fails it fails and tons of CO2 come though so a CO2 monitor can only really say "Your loop is now not viable, bail out). APDs test on the scrubber show clearly it goes from 100% removal to no removal over about 5 mins

Now an approach like the following would be great. An electric CO2 sensor in the head that sounds an alarm when the scrubber breaches, saying "Get off loop NOW!!!" and a temperature monitering device that tracks the heat front moving up through the scrubber material. This could be used to predict the consumption of the current scrubber. Trouble is some users will be stupid enough to rely on the guages and dive the unit until the scrubber fails rather than changing the Sofnolime when they should

... comes to mind. Needs to be set for three hours scrubber changing time and combined with the CO2 detector. Add an obnoxiuos alarm, and people wouldn't want to exceed the scrubber time. :D

Lots of details to figure out, what starts and stops the timer. Couldn't be a simple lid switch as you need to access the scrubber to check for excessive moisture ... yet needs to know when you change. That sort of thing.

Idealy it would be calculated rather than arbitrary. Measure volume passing through the scrubber, depth and temperature, that sort of thing. :rolleyes:

The Infinito had thermal monitoring of the scrubber since its inception. I am assumming this has been retained along with an actual readout of CO2 in the loop.

madmole once bubbled...
. The CE was the clincher and, as from later this year CE is being extended to cover personal imports and selling second hand, which effectively bans the Prism, KISS, RB80, Meg etc in Europe

What does this mean exactly. Can I buy a non CE approved rebreather in the states and bring it home ? I still have my eye on a RB80

I thought that CE approval was only necessary if you use it professionally ie instructing etc.

What does this mean for the Waldbrenner and Buchaly et al the EKPP? Are they able to use it?

Kindest Regards

WL

WL,

No problem buying the RB80 in the states. Of course in order to do so you must have the proper certification for the RB, which at present there are only two instructors that can teach it. Basically you can place the order, but the unit will not be shipped, until you are already certified, or the instructor is on-site to conduct your training. If you fail the course, the unit goes back to Halcyon.

An awesome SCR!!!

CrazyC

WetLettuce, At present nothing stopping you getting a breather in the US and bringing it back home, other than the 12.5% import duty and the 17.5% VAT to add to its price. At the moment you can sell it in Europe as second hand goods

later this year the law changes and it will be illegal to sell ANY non CE marked breathers, new or second hand, in Europe. You will still be able to import one for personal use

However if you dive commercially (ie paid instructor) It is illegal to use non CE kit in the course of your work. What you do on personall dives is up to you

As the CE rebreather standard is actually for once a pretty well thought out and sensible set of standards (Amazing I know), Its probably a good indicator of the quality of a unit if it has or hasn't CE approval. There are plenty of CE test houses in the US so they would have no problems getting this approval (other than cost) if the unit was capable of it

Quite frankly, the cost does make the CE-mark hard to justify. What was the latest price quote, 70 grand? I can see why the US builders stay away from it. And remember, that just the testing. If anything needs change to get approval, that comes on top. To justify that you would have to sell a lot of RBs in Europe. Which probably means setting up a dealer/supply network. Get instructors to certify on the units ... and all not knowing how many you can sell.

If for example one of the European navy's knocks on the door and says we like a couple of hundred of your units, but it needs to be CE-certified, the testing process would probably start the next morning. But for a handfull of buyers, who can find an instructor somewhere whose language they speak well enough to pass a course?

Dunno, Madmole, just dunno :(

that are being used, LARs, CBDAs, MKs ... are they really all going to get grounded? Or did they already pass CE-cert? :confused:

Is the Bundesmarine gonna issue yellow backpacks to match the frontmounted (reversed) Inspirations? :D

Buchaly and Waldbrenner would have any problems as the former put the "RB" into RB80 and the latter is his dive partner. They can always be testing... :D
I did ask Michael the same question though, the somewhat explicit answer came down to 'I dive with what I need' and 'I choose my equipment, not some office jockey'.
As I rather doubt there are any gov't officials in Germany who have their knowledge and experience that stand makes sense. :upset:

Back
Top Bottom