Steel versus Aluminum... is steel better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If its a single tank and a steel 12 you're going to be 3kg max negative at the start of the dive. Anyone can swim that up if needed even without a drysuit.

You seem to be learning, then, Ligersxxx.

It is indeed true that diving with steel tanks and a thick wetsuit is foolishness.

And diving with a thick wetsuit and twin steel tanks is lunacy.

You've got that much straight.

Now if you simply learn to think for yourself and stop asking others why everything is so, then you might become a safer diver. Oh, and did I mention lose the ad-hominem personal attacks on others?

Haha, it's not a personal attack....more of a warning to others to be skeptical when something you say doesn't quite make sense.

If one is capable of swimming the entire weight of their rig up from depth while wearing a wetsuit and a steel tank, then there's no problem with wearing a wetsuit and diving a steel tank. For example, I'm more than capable of going down to 80 feet (where there's significant wetsuit compression), dumping all the air from my wing, and swimming my full steel tank up....yes, I've tried it, and I know it's possible, thus diving a steel tank in a wetsuit is not an issue.

Many people who dive in cold waters with wetsuits prefer a single steel tank because it allows you to take some weight off your weight belt. And that's certainly nice both at surface (because it's less junk to lug around) and at depth (because a steel tank allows you to trim out better by moving it up or down).

I agree....there's absolutely no reason you'd dive double steel tanks with a wetsuit. That's not smart....but single steel tank and wetsuit is fine as long as you can swim your full rig up from a point of significant wetsuit compression.

..or use a steel twinset with dual bladder wing if paranoid about it.

If you dont have the weight of a steel tank you're carry the extra lead on the belt instead. Its still the same amount of weight.

I'm a newbie but on two recent dives, one with an aluminum tank, the other with steel, I noticed that the steel tank seemed to 'roll around' more on my back. Was this simply a matter of me being inexperienced or are steel tanks less stable? If, because of their extra weight, they do have a higher centre of gravity and as a result do tend to roll more, how do experienced divers compensate? Is it simply a matter of developing a better technique or getting used to it or are there other things that can be done?

For what it is worth, I used to dive a Zeagle Ranger with both Aluminum 80's and Steel 120's. Now, unless diving abroad, I exculsively use my steels. One thing I found was that the BC straps handled the AL fine, but got a little wobbly when carrying the weight of steel tanks (they were of course, physically bigger tanks). I have switched to a BCD that is a bit if a hybrid and takes a backplate. This, along with a single tank adapter, has really firmed up my rig, especially if I throw a 30cf pony bottle in the mix. I don't know what BC you're diving, but make sure it has at least double straps, and any other modifications you can make to get everything firm will make your dives more enjoyable.
I'll have to see about adding a strap or otherwise making it more secure.

Thanks

Yes, it is hard to stay at 10' when your getting near empty. Aluminim 80s float when they are empty and real heavy when full.
I use aluminum 80s for that little bit more air but i try and stay out of the red.
It's best to look for a kelpstock before you come up also don't go into the red drift diving in a current.

Thats it, even though i am going light now that i have switched to aluminum. But wow can you get off the bottom at the end of your dive.
I have also gone to a "Hawaiian Sling" type backpack it has no straps!
After long days in the water my armpits wore holes this backpack is the bomb!

Back
Top Bottom