Stories you've told to spouse when you buy gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133

lost, even with a compass
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wondered what kinds of stories some of us have told a spouse or significant other when, or before, we have bought dive gear. And lets make it interesting and tell if you eventually got caught.

I told my first story the other day and told the GF that I was doing some work for a dive buddy and he was going to give me two AL80's in exchange. This isn't totally out of the question since I have been know to do this. So far I haven't been caught but figure that within a few months I will say something that won't add up and she will figure it out.

Let the stories begin!!

Man, this is going to be interesting...

Talk about messed up priorities.

My hubby just sneaks everything he buy's to his "room" he has upstairs in our house. when i notice something it's been a bit of time. though sometimes our friends who own the dive shop he buys from tell me .."did you like/see what he bought"! Hmmm. he makes his own money and he pays for it..as long as it doesn't effect the bills we pay i don't care.

Referring to your new 21 w HID Cannister Light in the following manner:

"That? Oh, it's a scuba flashlight. I paid for it with my spring strap money."

I'm happy because she never asked the magic question.

She's happy because she thinks it costs around $50. I mean, after all - it's a scuba flashlight, how expensive can that be, right?

:)

Marek K:
Hard to be sneaky, when the wife pays the credit card bills and Larry is listed as "ScubaToys"... *sigh*

I have discussed this with Larry a while ago. He's supposed to get a merchant account that says "Larry's Transmission Shop". That way, when you buy $800 in scuba gear, you don't hear "What, you bought another..." and instead hear Wow, $800 bucks for transmission work, not to bad..." The key here is set-up. Several weeks before you need something, start complaining about how car(truck) is shifting. On the day you order the stuff, say "I'm taking the car to the shop" and then go diving. Heck, it takes a long time to fix one of those things. When you get home, explain the problem in relation to the size of the purchase. New BC? Ah heck, it was a blown seal. Complete reg. set? The torque converter. Complete setup? The whole dang I'm stupid went. I'm just glad they hade one on the shelf so I could get my car back today.

My method is to buy the wife something at the same time I buy something for myself. Now as long as I make sure that her new item comes out of the bag first she becomes distracted by her new toy, leaving me free to enjoy mine....

Hubby does that sometimes so i don't say anything to him. ha,ha,ha...

My wife just bought herself an epxensive new phone...perhaps I can use this as financial blackmail in order to get some new gear.....

of course, she did drop a bunch of cash recently on me for a sweet new dive watch...so maybe I'll be merciful and let her have her fun....

Then again, I think the car has been asking a little funny, and I am looking for a new mechanic :wink:

Thanks for reminding me not to get married.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom