Stranded Pilot Whales need your help in Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another article:
Hundreds of volunteers work to save stranded whales in Florida Keys - Environment - MiamiHerald.com

Hundreds of volunteers work to save stranded whales in Florida Keys

By CAMMY CLARK
McClatchy Newspapers

KEY LARGO, Fla. -- Since the first plea for help came over a Florida Keys radio station, hundreds of volunteers have worked around the clock to save pilot whales that mysteriously stranded in shallow waters.

The massive effort, now entering its third week, includes veterinarians, retirees, college kids, a paraplegic, two-time Olympic gold medalist swimmer Steve Lundquist and blockbuster film producer Jon Landau of "Titanic" and "Avatar" fame.

Some volunteers have worked shifts as long as 40 hours. Occupational therapist Brenda Ewer and her boyfriend, Brad Azar, postponed their "cruising" to the Bahamas on a trimaran to run a makeshift kitchen to feed the weary volunteers.

"We're exhausted at the end of the day, but it is just amazing to connect with the whales," Ewer said. "And I've noticed that as much as the humans are helping the whales, the whales are helping the humans."

Blair Mase, the marine mammal stranding coordinator for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Southeast Region, said events like this stranding of a pod of 23 whales "brings out the heart and soul of the people of the Keys."

The massive rescue that began on May 5 is now a rehabilitation effort to nurse the remaining four survivors back to health. They were found in critical condition, all with some form of pneumonia and various other problems.

The effort appears to be paying off.

"I'm very cautiously optimistic we can save all four," said Douglas Mader, one of the volunteer veterinarians.

The Marine Mammal Conservancy, the nonprofit organization leading the effort to save the whales, can be found at the end of a dusty dirt road off U.S. 1 in Key Largo. Its critical care unit operates from a hodgepodge of old trailers, shade tents and a sea pen.

While the all-volunteer organization is part of the stranding network coordinated by NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service, most of its funding comes from private donations.

Individuals and business have provided medical supplies, fish for the whales, food for the humans and tents to keep everyone cool from the blazing sun. Publix supplied a refrigerated truck to transport the surviving whales to rehabilitation.

But while there is bonding between the caretakers and the whales, the two adult and two juvenile patients are called by numbers: 300, 301, 302 and 303.

"Calling them by names gives us more of an emotional bond," volunteer veterinarian Pamela Govett said. "Then we start calling them our whales, and they are not. They are the ocean's whales."

The goal is to release three of the whales back into the deep sea. But the youngest, about 1 1/2 years old, most likely will end up in a public display facility such as SeaWorld because it probably would not survive in the wild without its mother, Mase said.

In 2003, during the last mass stranding of pilot whales in the Keys, four female adults and one male calf were rehabbed at the Marine Mammal Conservancy and released back into the wild. But the calf did not survive, believed to have been attacked by bull sharks.

Mase said the lesson learned from that experience is why the youngest female juvenile now being care for will not be released into the wild.

There are only three pilot whales in captivity in the United States. They all are at SeaWorld in San Diego.

Historically, most pilot whales don't survive a mass stranding.

I don't know if they need more sign-ups for Friday 5/27 night into Sat morning shift, 12m-4a. You will have to call to see.

But Jenny and I are carpooling together from Hollywood. I have room for two more in my car for anyone from Broward who might be interested.

I'm baking my version of "Mrs. Field's" chocolate chip cookies to bring to the volunteers & staff ... it's quite possible a few (just a few) might end up in a Road Trip ziplock ...

PM me to coordinate.
Joanie

Whooo hooo!!! Road Trip!

Hi all,

Went to Key Largo for a 4am - 8am shift. It was a very rewarding experience. Please sign up and go down with an open willingness to do whatever is needed. Also, be sure to check the WISH LIST to see if you have any items that might be helpful.

Thank you so much!

Went down Sunday night for the 8:00 PM - midnight shift. Had to stay until 3 Am. Had to leave for work. People did not show up for their shift. Just let MMC know that you can't come. They turn away walk ins. Life happens. Let them know. The coordinators had to be brought in to fill the void. Each time that I have been there it has been the same coordinators. I know that they are not getting any sleep.
There was remarkable improvement in the girls. I would rather be in the water than on the beach.

So sad. She(303) was so sick.
Another pilot whale euthanized, three remain

Another pilot whale euthanized, three remain
By KeysNet Staff
Posted - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 01:22 PM EDT
Quantcast
Quantcast

Officials at the Key Largo-based Marine Mammal Conservancy on Wednesday euthanized a second pilot whale that stranded May 5 off Cudjoe Key.

The adult female, which had been in critical condition since the stranding, was not responding to treatment and was continuing to deteriorate, said Robert Lingenfelser, director of stranding operations for the Marine Mammal Conservancy. A necropsy is to be conducted.

MMC personnel had to euthanize another pilot whale on May 13. Now, one other whale remains in critical condition, one in guarded condition and one in stable condition, Lingenfelser said.

Overall, around two dozen pilot whales stranded themselves off Cudjoe. In addition to the whales still alive at the Marine Mammal Conservancy, two were healthy enough to be taken out to sea and be released. All of the others died.

Why pilot whales strand themselves isn't known.

Last edited:
Do we know which one she was? I have a suspicion that it was #303. She seemed so sick on Sunday, her breathing was so laboured and she didn't move very much.

Joanne

Quickie report (I'm a bit tired!)

Went down last night for a 12 hr shift overnight. I had the privilege of being able to help each whale, and 300 twice. 301 (the baby) fell into a deep relaxing sleep in my arms (and the other two volunteers). Even her pectoral fins dropped. So precious. Spent about 9 hrs in the water. yeah, I'm whooped.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom