Stuck with beginner diver who runs out of air in 20 mins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is this a problem? Are you not weighted correctly? Yes, they become about 5 pounds lighter when empty, due to the air that was used up. ALL tanks have the same problem.
In an ongoing effort to reduce the amount of lead I use or any at all, I personally choose not to use AL80s and prefer a larger tank whenever possible.

In an ongoing effort to reduce the amount of lead I use or any at all, I personally choose not to use AL80s

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk when I say this, but maybe your effort should be to be correctly weighted, instead of just "use no lead"? Carrying some lead and not being confounded by a nearly-empty AL80 sounds a lot better than no lead and having a tank that becomes a PITA as a result.

My HP100s are 0.5# negative when empty. An AL80 is 4.4# positive when empty. If I switch from my HP100 to an AL80, I just add 5# somewhere and go diving. The only trick is adding the weight in the right place to preserve good trim.

I would rather have the 100, but that is mainly for the extra gas. I'd always rather get out with an extra 20 cu-ft of gas left in my tank.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk when I say this, but maybe your effort should be to be correctly weighted, instead of just "use no lead"?

Respectfully noted, I switched over to BPW with STA a few years ago hence the decision to not use weight at all. I feel this rig streamlines me better in the water for proper trim w/o the need for weight. Just saying if at all possible, I just choose not to use an AL80. If there's a larger tank, I always choose the latter.

I tend to dive with my hands out in front, tend to teach that way as well... helps maintain a horizontal pose when hanging...
I do that and some of my regular dive crew call me Superman and ask me how the flying was :)

In an ongoing effort to reduce the amount of lead I use or any at all, ...//...
Maybe consider balancing your lead so that what is on your weight belt is slightly more than the total weight of your gas (gas only) when full. That way, if you dirt dart with a full load of gas and a closed valve, you have the second option of dropping your belt and returning to the really big tank in the sky.

Maybe consider balancing your lead so that what is on your weight belt is slightly more than the total weight of your gas (gas only) when full. That way, if you dirt dart with a full load of gas and a closed valve, you have the second option of dropping your belt and returning to the really big tank in the sky.
Not a fan of using weight belts-for me personally I don't like the feeling of having something that can potentially slip off. In any case, when I warm water dive, I don't use any weight due to the SS BPW and STA and can easily descend to depth. I was just saying I personally don't like using AL80s and prefer a larger sized tank if available.

Hi there -
On a recent short liveaboard trip, there was a beginner diver who ran out of air in about 20 mins every single time when everyone else in the small group still had enough to dive another 30-40 mins. There was just one guide, so no option of diving in separate groups for the rest of the trip. A pity indeed that we did not get to see as much as we could have given that those were all new sites for us and not so convenient to access. What can I do the next time I am stuck in such a situation? Thanks in advance for your advice.

That's just BS.
After a second time he should have been told his problem should not have been everyones.

Maybe soak his wetsuit in meat juice while he's sleeping LOL!

Should liveaboards carry a few "larger" tanks for those people who have high air consumption's?

(I know that is a bandaid and does not solve the core issue)

Why do you consider it a bandaid? What exactly is the core issue?

I'm 6'5" 255 lbs. I've no hope of matching air consumption with a 4'10" 90 lbs woman.

I rowed varsity in university 25 years ago and can still do 30-45 min on a rowing machine with a split just over 2:00 (if you are a rower you know the fitness required)

Yes, I'm a new diver and still scull with my hands occasionally. I'm probably still over weighted, although I have recently taken 8 lbs of lead off so am getting better.

There are many reasons for high air consumption, only some of which can be corrected.

Think of it this way, they don't put the same size gas tank in a honda civic as they do in an F250, and for good reason.

True, with diving experience you will naturally become better with your air consumption but being an active fitness person(I workout 6 days a week), I will never match the air consumption rate of those who are smaller in frame. I am curious to see if a Mesomorph's SAC rate vs an experienced veteran diver's SAC rate.

I am a beginner also with just over 200 dives, but I use some air. Always have. At 6-4 and 230 and pretty decently fit I just seem to use a lot of air.

To help in this I use 100 cu ft tanks. That puts me right with everyone else as far as consumption. I have turned down dive operations that do not have 100s available to make sure that I do not bring others to the surface to early. I am surprised the liveaboard did not have 100s available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom