Subic Bay - 17th Jul - 2 divers missing on USS New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is confirmed they were found at the same area during the first rescue dive. Just Tin is recovered in the early evening, and Steve was recovered next morning.

But I have no idea if Tin STILL HAS AIR IN HIS TANK. I just know Steve has empty tank.

For the empty BC, it might be the last several breath of a tec-diver. Usually no one would empty his BC in a wreck, because the diver would surely become negative and hit the bottom and silt out everything UNLESS he had already no air in his tank, this is the only method if he want 2 or 3 more breath of air...

Steve might just have had a small leak in the wing... it could have deflated overnight. However, it wouldn't be illogical to use the wing air for a few extra breaths.

I heard that Tin had air, from a reliable source who was in contact with the recovery team. Of all the known factors, that one is perhaps the most pertinent... because it points towards the root problem / initial cause of the incident.

Any definitive word yet on where, exactly, they were found?

...However, it wouldn't be illogical to use the wing air for a few extra breaths.

Ironic, but I discussed this concept with Steve last time I was there. He definitely didn't rule it out. No further information on this incident?

Ironic, but I discussed this concept with Steve last time I was there. He definitely didn't rule it out. No further information on this incident?

Will go back there next week, hope we can find some more information.

Greetings All,

I ran across this thread last week and realized that I had met Steve on a dive in 2006 while he was teaching a OW class to two divers in Subic Bay. We were diving with Johan's on a weekday if I remember correctly. We spoke just a bit on the boat and he seemed like a very nice person. Very confident in his manner.

I was so sorry to hear of the accident. Has there been any further announcements regarding the accident? I wonder if we will ever know exactly what happened on that dive.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you, SeaFlea.

Was there any autopsy performed at the HK-diver who also died? Would be interesting to know the answer since he still had air in his tank when found.

Has there been first-hand confirmation that Tin did still have gas in his tanks? Not sure about that

It's still possible to drown even if you do though

Back
Top Bottom