Suggestions for Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A group of 10 of us were on island end of Feb this year. Unfortunately, high seas (10+ foot swells) at the reef, so we were not able to do more than a few dives. Easy entry, just not much fun looking up at the props with those swells getting back on the boat... I think there was only a few of us who didn't get sick, one of them me, thanks goodness.

See photo below, looks like we were fishing for divers. Good news is the DiveOp said they would honor the remaining dives in our prepaid package upon another visit... So we got to explore other parts of the island and many of the restaurants/bars on the rock and focus on land photography vs U/W. And still had a great time!

DJ's, Elvi's, Wild Mangos, Fidos, Sunset Restaurant (on the Lagoon side) Black Orchard and Lazy Crocs, you need a golf cart to get to the last two, but they are my fav's! Fun to buzz around in the golf cart and check out parts too far to walk. In general, you can see it's a pretty small area with many options up and down the beach and street. See this site http://ambergriscaye.com/maps/art/Map-large.jpg to give you some perspective on locations for some of these and also Trip Advisor. Looks like you are staying close to the bigger market to pick up provisions as well.

I did walk/jog alone at times on the beach (day and night) with no issues. One just has to smart and aware, right? Same goes for my Cayman and Cozumel trips. And of course this is San Pedro/Ambergris Caye, not Belize City on the big rock.

Have a great time and enjoy your dives. You've got me thinking to book that return flight back down there soon! :) It's a beautiful place with lots of sharks... and be sure to ask about the "chicken drop" event on Wednesday nights.

Belize.jpg
Looks like we are fishing for divers...

Belize1.jpgBelize2.jpg
1st photo is of the beachwalk going to DJ's, 2nd photo is sitting in DJ's with cold one!

I'll be there 8/1-8/8 and will be diving with Island Divers.

Lazy Crocs is closed again.

Sadly, I do not recommend walking the beach alone at night anymore. Sunny, glad that worked out for you.

Sunny, that picture of fishing for divers? Is that taken out at the Atolls?

Bummer, Lazy Crocs was a fun little joint with the old gator to watch while you ate!

The photo "fishing for divers" was taken just a short boat ride to the reef from Ambergris Caye from Hugh Parkey's Belize Dive Connection. Unfortunately, it was our group's 1st dive of the trip. We just hit a bad week of high winds that can happen in February...

Looks like a calm day UK diving. No breakers shear bliss.

Yup, may look that way, but that was the view with divers on top of the 10-12' swell, a few seconds later you are under the boat looking up at props timing your grasp on the ladder not under the boat... Hence some of the guys loosing their breakfast in the water and some on the boat! :)

Belize.jpgBelize1.jpg

Yup, may look that way, but that was the view with divers on top of the 10-12' swell, a few seconds later you are under the boat looking up at props timing your grasp on the ladder not under the boat... Hence some of the guys loosing their breakfast in the water and some on the boat! :)

Yup! Just like UK diving!

Im sitting at the blue tang inn right now. Its nice. For diving I used ecologic divers just down the beach. Being a single diver it was a case of whoever was going as none of them go unless they have t least 3 divers. The guys at ecologic were great though.
Everyone else has given you good advice. Only thing I can add is that there is 2 grocery stores right behind blue tang.
Enjoy and hope you get better weather than i have had

August isn't a busy time and some dive shops may not be going out. Island Divers certainly will be as people are already booked from 1st August. Given most people's views on them that is who I would go with. I'll be on their boat at least some of the time. Alternatively Chuck 'n Robbie's is rather closer if you're going to walk, and as they're one of the busier small dive centers I expect they'll be going out. Not much else around that attracts me. Your choice!

Day one, hit one of the supermarkets (we liked the ones run by the Lebanese best)
If you're talking about the big pink building that place is the biggest rip off I've ever seen in my life. $10 for a gatorade. $12 for oreos. Would never step foot in it again. Unfortunately just about everything in SP is overpriced. DJ's on the other side of town does make an excellent burger if you get tired of seafood.

On your no dive day, take one of the snorkel tours. I think the spot is Hol Chan. They feed the fish there and we saw some massive groupers, several hundred pounds each.
Agreed.. Hol Chan is awesome!

10. Avoid hanging out with your own kind. Get out and mingle with Belizeans, especially the ones who aren't trying to make a buck off of you. Great people.
In all my travels thus far I've found Belizeans to be the friendliest people.. and I took chicken buses all around the country, walked alone at night in SP/Placencia, etc.. never felt threatened or any danger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom