Suggestions for bolt snap removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Google "suicide clip" and sidemount and you'll find a plethora of posts showing both sides of this debate. If the clip is both within reach (just in case) and facing the correct way on the d ring there is not much opportunity for line to get inside the clip because of the circle formed by the bungee, tank, BACK of the clip, d ring, and the side of your body.

I dive every weekend and see about half the sidemount divers out there using either these or boat clips... (boat clips are these http://www.lucianwintrich.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/S-D-139131-1_med.jpg)

If they make you uncomfortable, don't dive with them. I've investigated the issue and decided they are ok for the dives I do. If your dives are swimming upside down and backwards without bungees through the electrical room of a deep wreck, you might want to come up with something else.

One thing I have learned on SB is there in no ONE right answer for anything. Lots of opinions, and sometimes even logical thinking behind those decisions, that's what makes SB so fun, interesting, and informative to me. A lot of the fun for me is sifting through the dross and coming up with a solid, logical, and reliable idea that works for me (and my buddies) in my diving situations. I'm with you Swampy459.

I am also absolutely of the same opinion there:
there in no ONE right answer for anything

But: :wink:
... you might want to come up with something else.
There is actually a severe and complex disadvantage, apart from the mentioned safety problems, when using any clip but a 'normal boltsnap':

As mentioned above putting the ringfinger though the eye solves almost every handling problem.

The boltsnap can move freely on the integrated swivel, making it especially easy to handle, and also essential in using the sidemount bungees to their full potential:

I experimented with nearly all connection systems available at the time before I was able to get better education and did not come up with a flexible way to connect the tanks using most of those on my own.
Have been using large stage-snaps and smaller 'big-eyed' ones on the traveling cam-bands ever since.

Boltsnaps connected with bungee and clipped into a low profile D-ring (IMHO) connect the tanks in the most flexible and at the same time absolutely secure way to the diver. The tanks are able to move unrestricted by the lower connection up to a certain point.
When the sidemount bungee (or bungees/loops) presses the tanks into the lower connection they automatically twist and turn into position and follow every move that way afterwards - without being rigidly connected they do this 'softly', however - feeling as if not being there at all.
Connecting with any other clip I tried will always restrict that movement range and lead to a more rigid connection, negating some of the positive effects of the bungee systems I used.

Someone please (politely) shoot me down if this is a bad suggestion - I am still new at this and am experimenting myself. I had trouble orienting my hand on the snap until I put my - heavily gloved - pinky finger a little way into the ring to add stability. Then it got easy.

Not much of experience here, but had the same problem as OP during the training. Figured that I need to stabilise the bolt snaps before getting a good feel of what's happening out there. After the cert, moved to another dive shop where did couple of open water dives. Changed the bolt snaps with larger rings. It was so easy to put the ring finger in the ring, stabilise the bolt snap with the index finger and use the thumb to pull the bolt snap open. It doesn't move anywhere and it's done in a snap. I use reef gloves always in warm water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a newb at sidemounting, but for what it's worth:
I'm a cold water diver in dry gloves most of the time.
I found no problems with the upper bolt snap but found it easier when I switched to a larger bolt snap at the bottom of my tanks.
Also cliping direction, I always clip with bolts towards my back.

Mike D

I would highly suggest not using carabeeners or boat clips especially if you are in a cave or in any environment where entanglement can be an issue. Line has a mind all of it's own and it will find it's way into the most impossible of places. Diving with clips like that in a cave is just asking for the line to get caught up in them and when that happens you better have an aware buddy or the skills necessary to get yourself untangled. My rig is very streamlined thanks to Edd and even then I have found myself caught in the line a couple times going through true sidemount restrictions and passages. Not that you should be doing that at your level but it can still happen in bigger cave if you aren't paying close attention to your surroundings.

1. Lengthen the bolt-snap from the cylinder by using some cord. This gives some room to maneuvre. However, as Rob mentioned, you need to factor in the overall length of cord + boltsnap to ensure cylinder trim along the torso mid-line. Try like this:

sidemount bolt snap.jpg

2. Use a bolt-snap, not a butterfly clip. Bolt-snaps are much easier to remove/replace IMHO.

3. Put your ring-finger in the bolt-snap loop, as others have mentioned, for stability/control.

4. Establish a routine method of attachment (bolt-snap always face-up/down) and stick with it. My personal preference is face upwards, because that's how my hands fall naturally, when reaching back and holding the bolt-snap with ring-finger in the loop.

5. Sit on your couch one evening, watching tv and wearing your BCD. Practice removing/replacing bolt-snaps on all D-rings for hours... until it becomes and ingrained muscle memory.

Google "suicide clip" and sidemount and you'll find a plethora of posts showing both sides of this debate. If the clip is both within reach (just in case) and facing the correct way on the d ring there is not much opportunity for line to get inside the clip because of the circle formed by the bungee, tank, BACK of the clip, d ring, and the side of your body.

I dive every weekend and see about half the sidemount divers out there using either these or boat clips... (boat clips are these http://www.lucianwintrich.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/S-D-139131-1_med.jpg)

If they make you uncomfortable, don't dive with them. I've investigated the issue and decided they are ok for the dives I do. If your dives are swimming upside down and backwards without bungees through the electrical room of a deep wreck, you might want to come up with something else.

There are better forms of research beyond google...

Over time instructors, agencies, well informed divers, and survivors define best practice and boat clips/suicide clips aren't exactly "best practice" anymore for the known entanglement hazards.

Speaking of the internet, here is an advocate of the suicide clip...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401908237.566185.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom