Suicide Clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well.... when I originally posted the question I didn't think it would start such an interesting debate.

Welcome to SB, and if you think this debate is "interesting"...check out The Pub. :)

The name is enough to put me off using them! I was using one without knowing it was a suicide clip. I think I'll leave them alone for now.

!

If that is the case you will want to stay away from bungied wings of death (even if is mostly marketing in both cases).

I avoid them. Mostly because they are typically found on crazy big wings. I like my 27lb wing.

I want to go back to the stainless vs brass debate. The "good lord" factor is far more entertaining.

When I'm diving this nobody is looking at the clips:

Snapshot 1 (01-05-2013 8-24 PM).png

I buy all my hardware at Tractor Supply. It is less expensive than buying from online scuba shops. They have stainless steel everything u need. Can buy online too. Rope, strap, tubing.

I think the case against "suicide" clips is overblown for most recreational applications.

Like a lot of things, people give worst-case examples in order to justify their own preferences. If you're not diving in caves or wrecks, or in places where entanglement hazards exist ... which would be most of the diving world ... then it's a complete non-issue.

Like anything else, choose the tool that's suitable for your applicationi ... there is no "best" for every circumstance ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Some very impressive people at the dive shop or taverns (for the post-dive debrief) enjoy using the phrase "suicide clips" because: a) It rolls off the tongue easily; b) it is easy to say after a few beers; c) it sounds like you have a clue; chicks dig it.

Tailor your gear. There is no such thing as "this is the gun (knife, mask, flippers) that the SEALS use. Think about it.

... depends on whether you're looking at the line or making love to it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Zackly- think Steve Irwin... now how did that happen?

Sorry guys in most cases I don't agree, in caves or wreck penetrations OK but open water dives... :fear:

I carry so much critter observational gadgetry with me (Magnifiers, lighting, lasers) that I once happily accepted the reference that I looked like a Japanese Astronaut. Years ago I had quit mountaineering (crappy pay grade and the chicks don't shave their pits)... what to do with all this iron? All my sailing buddies were immediately enchanted with them in the 70's. Now. they consider them standard hardware.

I apparently don't know squat about 'suicide clips', although I been in a few wrecks. I was there, literally, when Yvon Chouinard (pre black-diamond, in the Ice-9 days) wrote the book on carabiners, which I managed to learn something about.

For "gear hanging dangly clips", these "wiregate bale" types:

are great- the don't corrode into unserviceability. DO NOT use the USGI snap links- they rot in salt- good only for shoulder hanging n M4 in the sand.

These work well for light objects, and yes- they were designed to fail if snagged by 20# of suicide:

They are sold as Nite-Ize (Harbor Freight) and similar as key fobs at REI.

Suicide isn't for everyone.

Last edited:
I don't cave or wreck penetrate. That being said the only suicide clips I use are on the tops of my sidemount tanks. I feel that their location is easily monitored and in case of a line trap, easily remedied with a knife or hand. This however is my opinion and experience in the matter. I do however see the dangers of them in confined areas and would gear accordingly to that situation.

I want to go back to the stainless vs brass debate. The "good lord" factor is far more entertaining.
... or bent d-rings vs unbent d-rings ... we haven't revisited that important topic for a while now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... or bent d-rings vs unbent d-rings ... we haven't revisited that important topic for a while now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bent d-rings? Hah! A gear solution to a skills problem, if you ask me.

How's that for retention?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom