Suicide strap for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! The harshness of some of the responses!

I took the OP as not really knowing much about the subject and so (I think) somewhat confusing the concept of a gag strap (which is how I interpreted "suicide strap") and a bungee necklace.

To be clear, a gag strap is used by some CCR divers to hold their "mouthpiece" in their mouth, even if they, for example, pass out. It goes around the back of the head and is pulled tight enough to keep the mouthpiece in and maintain a seal even with an unconscious diver's mouth.

That is somewhat different than a bungee necklace that holds one of your 2nd stage regulators just below your chin/throat.

I have been using the "streamlined open water" (i.e. primary on long hose and secondary on short hose with bungee necklace) since I bought my first reg set right after I completed my OW training. In my opinion, you are best off to buy some bungee cord and make your own bungee necklace (if you want to use that configuration). The ideal arrangement will be that the length of the bungee necklace is just right so that you could get your alternate into your mouth without using your hands if you really needed to. Store bought necklaces are going to be too long for almost anyone to do that, since they are kind of one size fits all.

Also, there seem to be two schools of thought on how to attach the bungee to your 2nd stage.

One way is to use two Fishman knots to make a necklace with an O between the knots that you can put around the mouthpiece and then pull tight (since the knots slide). I used to do it that way. I had more than one occasion of something tugging on my reg and having it pull out of the bungee necklace. Too easily, in my opinion, even though I tried to cinch the necklace down on it as tight as I could.

The second way is to remove the zip tie holding the mouthpiece on, tie a knot in each end of the bungee. A regular overhand knot will do. Then put a new zip tie around the mouthpiece and put the bungee through that on either side. Then tighten the zip tie as much as you can. The bungee can't really pull out, this way. The only way you could pull the 2nd stage out of the "bungee necklace" is if the zip tie broke or the whole mouthpiece assembly came off the reg. This second way is the way I'm doing mine now. This way also makes it easier to get the bungee length just right.

I know nothing about this as Ive never heard the term...

but is it possible that some folks call it semi-humorously a "suicide strap" because it looks like someone is trying to hang themselves.

So its actually not supposed to be a comment on the danger of the set up (unlike the "suicide clips" where the name denotes a negative view of the set up)

Anyways, just my speculation.

Still an unfortunate name, which would lead to negative connotations.

Also, there seem to be two schools of thought on how to attach the bungee to your 2nd stage.

One way is to use two Fishman knots to make a necklace with an O between the knots that you can put around the mouthpiece and then pull tight (since the knots slide). I used to do it that way. I had more than one occasion of something tugging on my reg and having it pull out of the bungee necklace. Too easily, in my opinion, even though I tried to cinch the necklace down on it as tight as I could.

The second way is to remove the zip tie holding the mouthpiece on, tie a knot in each end of the bungee. A regular overhand knot will do. Then put a new zip tie around the mouthpiece and put the bungee through that on either side. Then tighten the zip tie as much as you can. The bungee can't really pull out, this way. The only way you could pull the 2nd stage out of the "bungee necklace" is if the zip tie broke or the whole mouthpiece assembly came off the reg. This second way is the way I'm doing mine now. This way also makes it easier to get the bungee length just right.

You don't want the necklace to be so immovable that it pulls the mouthpiece off if someone has to grab it. If someone is grabbing at my bungee'd secondary, they clearly need it, and probably now. They need gas so we can sort out the issue.

Pulling off the mouthpiece in the process of "donating" adds another element to what is already a stressful situation. Trying to breathe off a reg without the mouth piece sucks. If someone is already stressed it's going to make it worse. If someone is stressed enough that they're grabbing for your bungee'd secondary, there are already issues at play. Making it difficult to access just compounds any issues going on.

Do it the first way, it prevents problems. And if it comes out, it's easily reattached. Although perhaps more importantly, why are you diving with people who are pulling on your bungee'd secondary? That's a breakdown that starts back on the boat.

You don't want the necklace to be so immovable that it pulls the mouthpiece off if someone has to grab it. If someone is grabbing at my bungee'd secondary, they clearly need it, and probably now. They need gas so we can sort out the issue..

Considering where it rides, it's hard to imagine someone grabbing it instead of the one in my mouth. Especially if they are the type of person to grab either one unannounced.

Wow! The harshness of some of the responses!

I took the OP as not really knowing much about the subject and so (I think) somewhat confusing the concept of a gag strap (which is how I interpreted "suicide strap") and a bungee necklace.

To be clear, a gag strap is used by some CCR divers to hold their "mouthpiece" in their mouth, even if they, for example, pass out. It goes around the back of the head and is pulled tight enough to keep the mouthpiece in and maintain a seal even with an unconscious diver's mouth.

That is somewhat different than a bungee necklace that holds one of your 2nd stage regulators just below your chin/throat.

I got none of this from the responses so far.

Considering where it rides, it's hard to imagine someone grabbing it instead of the one in my mouth. Especially if they are the type of person to grab either one unannounced.

Panic is irrational. Just give the diver a chance.

Until others replied, I admit I had no idea what the OP was talking about, as I have never heard the term. It seems to me that by referring to a bungeed secondary around the neck as a "suicide strap," the person using that term has already made up their mind about it. If so, why ask the question? It's like polling people as to what they think of "this piece of ****" I am thinking of buying.

that was the term that we learned from day 1. I'm not sure of the origins, but it has been used in the program I dive with for at least 20 years

that was the term that we learned from day 1. I'm not sure of the origins, but it has been used in the program I dive with for at least 20 years

Interesting. The only use of the word "suicide" I had heard before in connection with dive gear was the "suicide clip" aka carabiner.

Regardless of the probability of someone grabbing it (although apparently this has happened to you several times), you're taking an easily remedied situation, and adding an element that will compound whatever issue caused someone to remove your bungee'd second in the first place.

Look at it this way, method 1, someone grabs your secondary, pulls it from the bungee, you get their issue sorted, you pop it back in the bungee and drive on, or it goes in your mouth and you drive on.

Method 2, someone grabs your secondary, breaks the zip tie and pulls off the mouthpiece and it disappears into the deep. Now sorting out whatever the issue is, includes dealing with a short-hosed secondary that is no longer secured, and no longer has a mouthpiece. If you've gotta breathe off it, it sucks. If you don't, now you have an unsecured reg, or you breathe off it and have a clipped-off long hose, which presents its own set of issues if someone goes OOG and they need it. Not to mention the issues if someone pulls a deco reg from your mouth and your choices are your (now) unsecured secondary or your clipped-off primary.

By all means, do whatever you feel comfortable with, just understand that there may be other considerations that may come into play.

Interesting. The only use of the word "suicide" I had heard before in connection with dive gear was the "suicide clip" aka carabiner.
This. I've heard of a strap for rebreathers and have used a bungeed second for years but never heard the term suicide for anything other than a caribiner.

Hi
I recently found out about suicide strap's and the idea of stowing an octo on a necklace.

What do people think about that relative to securing it to your BCD for general recreational diving?

I've always done it that way and think it's great. Terminology wise, I agree, it's a neclace -- not a suicide strap -- and it's a secondary, not an octo.

You then have various choices on hose length for the primary.

Back
Top Bottom