Suicide strap for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI does not require that regulator setup, though the dive ops may

PADI may not but as a DM you use the configuration dictated by the Instructor for the class and the shop you work for. I may not agree with it but I do what the powers say. I wear a regular BC similar to the shops for the OW, they do let me wear my BPW for all the open water classes except the Rescue Class.

Tank valves all the way ON was a decision made by the shop, one step forward.

Thanks. Yes I did not realize that gag strap and and bungee necklace were separate items.

When I heard about the bungee necklace it sounded like a great idea. I asked the question here since I (thought) I heard people calling it a suicide strap, and did not know why the configuration would have that name and be that bad.

Okay, no worries. It just sounded like you had already formed an opinion. I don't know anything about "gag straps," either--from what others have said, that's apparently rebreather terminology. Beyond my scope of knowledge as a recreational diver. Ominous terminology like "suicide" and "gag" are probably best avoided in recreational diving circles. I don't think these terms will show up in PADI's material any time soon.

Considering where it rides, it's hard to imagine someone grabbing it instead of the one in my mouth. Especially if they are the type of person to grab either one unannounced.

It's a solution for a non-existent problem. Better to have the regulator pull free and you have to replace it than have the mouthpiece pull off or the regulator slam back into your face/neck if someone grabs it and then lets go.

The necklace seems to be popular but my dive buddy and I (wife) both train to offer/take the octo. We each test the primary 2nd and octo before each dive and secure it in a manner where it pulls free with easily. We have practiced buddy breathing as well but only in the pool.

Suicide strap is a silly, melodramatic name. Lets never use that again.

A bungeed octo is a great idea, great for both newbies and experienced divers. It should be the standard method. It's easy to make your own using bungee cord (2-3mm) and a cable tie. I've seen a commercial all-rubber necklace but it didn't stay on very well. Homemade works well and lasts well.

Last edited:
It's a solution for a non-existent problem. Better to have the regulator pull free and you have to replace it than have the mouthpiece pull off or the regulator slam back into your face/neck if someone grabs it and then lets go.

I've seen a couple of different ways for attaching the bungee; IMO it's best to set it up so that the regulator can be pulled off the necklace, and I think most divers that are using the bungeed necklace are doing that. The 'old school' way of capturing the bungee ends underneath the mouthpiece zip tie seems to have all but disappeared.

Then again, I've never even heard of an OOA diver going for the bungeed alternate when the primary is right in front them. I have had my primary pulled out of my mouth twice by OOA divers. It's impressive how fast someone can move underwater when sufficiently motivated!

The 'old school' way of capturing the bungee ends underneath the mouthpiece zip tie seems to have all but disappeared.

Hmmph. Eh, can someone point me to a site that shows how to tie the requisite knot for the newish-and-improved method?

I use an air2 these days, mostly because an octopus is superfluous on solo dives, but I can buddy dive without having to change my reg configuration. I am yet to have dive with an OOA, but I gave up on instabuddies a long time ago. This a much bigger issue it if you are doing dives in an overhead environment where straight up is not an option or as instructor or DM, where getting mugged for your air is significantly higher.

Hmmph. Eh, can someone point me to a site that shows how to tie the requisite knot for the newish-and-improved method?

How to Tie a Regulator Bungee Necklace

I think that's from Devon Diver's site.

I wouldn't call it 'newish' but I do remember seeing something a long time ago on a DIR related site that simply had the ends of the bungee captured by the zip tie. This could present a problem if you really needed a break-away for any reason. Like for example getting back on the boat after a nice dive, sitting down to put your tank in the holder, then standing up without remembering to remove the bungee necklace. Now how would I know about that? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom