Suicide strap for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How to Tie a Regulator Bungee Necklace

I think that's from Devon Diver's site.

I wouldn't call it 'newish' but I do remember seeing something a long time ago on a DIR related site that simply had the ends of the bungee captured by the zip tie. This could present a problem if you really needed a break-away for any reason. Like for example getting back on the boat after a nice dive, sitting down to put your tank in the holder, then standing up without remembering to remove the bungee necklace. Now how would I know about that? :)

My Fundies instructor had me capture the ends under a zip tie, but that does not mean it's the best way. I think I'm persuaded to change it.

And me neither--I have never forgotten to remove the bungee'd secondary before standing up. :)

I've used both the bungee cord necklace as well as the silicone necklace. The silicone necklace is the more forgiving when you stand up and forget to remove the bungee. The bungee cord necklace is not as annoying when your secondary is in your mouth. YMMV.

I am conflicted about the term bungeed octo some use. Not being critical just building up to a question. Secondary makes sense. So, what is the better way here and why to convert a rec-reg-set (both second stages are identical, except for color) to a rec-reg-set with bungee necklace and get the family standardized on more or less the same thing? (One uses a long hose, maybe 2 in time)

A.) Use the pretty yellow Octo on the pretty yellow (slightly longer) hose as the primary to increase the likely hood of that being taken by someone OOA and deal with the hose being a bit long for a primary (but too short to tuck like a long hose). Use the other regulator (the previous primary on the slightly shorter black hose) as the secondary on the necklace.

B.) The other way around?

C.) Use one of them as the primary (WHICH AND WHY) the other as the secondary, but change hoses.
To which kind (especially length of course) and why?
Especially if this is to be our pure received set for the very occasional diver and I think a real long hose is really not necessary.

How to Tie a Regulator Bungee Necklace

I think that's from Devon Diver's site.

I wouldn't call it 'newish' but I do remember seeing something a long time ago on a DIR related site that simply had the ends of the bungee captured by the zip tie. This could present a problem if you really needed a break-away for any reason. Like for example getting back on the boat after a nice dive, sitting down to put your tank in the holder, then standing up without remembering to remove the bungee necklace. Now how would I know about that? :)
It's almost like that could be ruled a suicide....

:troll:

I use a yellow seven foot primary hose in case an OOA diver comes up to me but fortunately have never been in an emergency situation. Most of my dives are either solo or same ocean buddies.

I took the OP as not really knowing much about the subject and so (I think) somewhat confusing the concept of a gag strap (which is how I interpreted "suicide strap") and a bungee necklace.
I also thought "suicide strap" was a gag-strap from rebreathers

Thanks for the replies so far.

Is there a specific product you like, or do most people make it themselves (as shown on youtube)?

I have dove this configuration for years and all my kids who dive were also trained this way right from the start.

I've never used the pre-made straps.. Just get some 3/8" marine grade bungee and learn to tie the knots and your all set.
What he said.

The 'old school' way of capturing the bungee ends underneath the mouthpiece zip tie seems to have all but disappeared.
I use this method. The one with two fisherman knots might be too loose, BTBH I've never tried it. Bungee ends in zip tie, without knots never failed me, yet, but I imagine if someone pull too hard it will fail, leaving mouthpiece on. Possibility on putting it back in the loop, make me consider knotted version.

Fisherman knot - easy, secure, pulls loose if you tug, easy to re-stow. It's what I still do, and how I taught my children.

As I recall it, keeping in mind that I am an old scudder and memory fades...

Surgical tubing did not tie well - the knot seemed either too big or too small - so we used 2 zips ties to mimic the fisherman knots - we never considered putting the tubing/bungee under the mouthpiece zip tie. However there was never even any discussion of somebody pulling on the bungeed second because that was never on the radar - this was not an "insta-buddy" situation.

We did talk about the potential for entanglement pulling the mouthpiece off - and decided that was (however slight) a risk easily avoided, i.e., don't put the bungee under the mouthpiece zip tie. WHM did one of his best "what do you think would happen..." bits on this one.

I don't know how or when the under-the-zip tie method got started, but it wasn't in the group I dove with in the very early days when I was cave diving.

Thanks. Yes I did not realize that gag strap and and bungee necklace were separate items.

When I heard about the bungee necklace it sounded like a great idea. I asked the question here since I (thought) I heard people calling it a suicide strap, and did not know why the configuration would have that name and be that bad.

While I agree that "suicide strap" is a terrible name, I wanted to mention that I first heard this term last night while reading Diver Down by Michael R. Ange. In the very first incident upon which he reports, he explains that the diver (an experienced instructor and technical diver) secured his regulator using a "suicide strap."

Clearly (from the context clues) the author is referring to a gag strap.

Since I think we all agree that it would be ridiculous to continue to use the term "suicide strap," I also think it's important to note that a quick Google search of suicide strap presents you with a handful of results showing how to tie one of these things.

It's just ... it looks like the term is in circulation and while we should work to change it's usage, we should also be aware of its existence.

So, what is the better way here and why to convert a rec-reg-set (both second stages are identical, except for color) to a rec-reg-set with bungee necklace and get the family standardized on more or less the same thing?
I went with a whole new set of hoses - 48" (plus 110° swivel) for my primary and 24" for my secondary; all black.

I didn't have a yellow reg to worry about (I was converting from an Air2 equivalent); if they're the same then I'd probably use the yellow one as primary (reduces chance of OOA diver grabbing at a bungeed secondary because it's yellow).

I didn't have a yellow reg to worry about (I was converting from an Air2 equivalent); if they're the same then I'd probably use the yellow one as primary (reduces chance of OOA diver grabbing at a bungeed secondary because it's yellow).
Problem is, many reg sets come with a slightly lower end 2nd as the backup. Like the Apeks XTX sets sold around here, which use an XTX40 as the backup, no matter whether the primary is a 50, a 100 or a 200.

Good thing is, swapping faceplates is often easy. On my set it was a two-minute job, including digging out the set.

20190422_085643.jpg

Front: a yellow XTX40 with a black XTX100 faceplate and a bungee necklace, back: a black XTX100 with a yellow XTX40 faceplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom