Suunto Computers - Final Conclusion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CavernFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
From reading all of the threads here, I was still not able to determine exactly what the problem is with the Suunto algorithm. From everything I read, it seemed like the only complaint was that it may end up taking you out of the water a few minutes sooner than other computers would. To me, that seems like a good thing! Is anyone saying that the Suunto algorithm is actually more dangerous or could kill or injure divers more often than other computers? I personally am only interested in recreational diving. I love the display on the Suunto Eon Core and it's so compact, easy to read. Of course, I wish it had the techies blessings too. So, what is the beef with these Suunto and is it just a religious debate or is there some merit to the argument against these?

If there is merit to the argument against the Suunto, I cannot imagine why the manufacturers have not corrected the problem, changed the algorithm or made it selectable in a firmware update. Can someone explain why that has not happened?

FYI, I am a new diver looking to purchase my first gear setup.

Thanks!

I am relatively new to diving as well. I dive a Suunto Vyper. Have not had any issues with it. It was affordable and does all I need it to do. Air integration would be nice but , I can’t justify the cost. Some people say they are to conservative on multiple dives. Myself I prefer a little caution.

The problem with the Suunto is that with its conservatism and quirks it is difficult to coordinate with others using a more liberal computer. If you are diving by yourself or a buddy with a Suunto, or understand this limitation it is a good computer.
I had one that I used as a backup for an Oceanic and after the first day it locked me out and was only useful as a depth gauge.

Last 2 trips we've been on my wife has has to abandon the Vyper on about the 4th day of diving. On single dives it's fine, even a few but the penalties accrue over time.

I have a Zoop and am able to be one of the first to splash and last to get back on the boat. These are typical DM led vacation diver groups with multilevel first dives to 85-105 feet (45 minute) and shallow dives with around 60 feet (60 minute) maximum. I do find that the NDL seems to creep to the single digits soon on some second dives. I am a rookie and conservative and prefer to keep the NDL no lower than 9 minutes. I just finished 9 days of diving and only on two days the profile was such that my preference to keep NDL out of single digits had me staying somewhat above the group and I'd have rather been lower down to look into nooks and crannies on the reef. Comfort with letting NDL get to around 5 minutes may help somewhat on some dives but I don't see a need to change computers at this point. I'd just use nitrox if during a series of dives I found I was being limited.

The biggest strike against it, is that is a black box kind of algorithm. IE known data goes in, and you get an output, the how/why is proprietary to Suunto and they don’t share it. Where as with some of the other computers they use open sourced tables/algorithms so you can see exactly what is going on. Our first computers are Suunto Cobras, and they are acceptable first computers but we will be replacing them with something else in the near(ish) future.

I dive with a Zoop Novo, as does my girlfriend (typical dive buddy), and my good friend who occasionally dives with us. To me it's about the perfect computer for us to dive with together, especially since we all have less than 100 dives. It does absolutely everything I need right now, including nitrox. I don't mind the conservative algorithm because we're all using it and as a beginner it doesn't sound bad to error in the safe side. The only thing I didn't really think about is my plan to use it as a backup computer when I inevitably upgrade might backfire if my profiles are borderline.

From everything I read, it seemed like the only complaint was that it may end up taking you out of the water a few minutes sooner than other computers would. ...
I personally am only interested in recreational diving. I love the display on the Suunto Eon Core and it's so compact, easy to read. Of course, I wish it had the techies blessings too.
The 3 issues with the Suunto are:
  1. The RGBM algorithm is suboptimal. The public ZHL-16B gives better deco schedules.
  2. The Suunto algorithm is a black box and it's impossible to predict and sync deco schedules among your team.
  3. Suunto computers will lock you out completely if you violate their rules too much, instead of giving you "emergency" deco data.
Point 2 is irrelevant to NDL (rec) diving. Points 1 and 3 are relevant if you go into unintended deco.
Generally, with shallow, non-overhead dives, even light deco, Suunto are still OK. Deeper than that or with planned deco, you really want a ZHL-16 computer like a Shearwater.

The Eon looks like a tech computer, but isn't; it's the same Suunto in a new skin. A bit expensive for what it is, in my taste. But if you're sure you'll stay within the bounds of recreational or very light tec diving, it's fine. If everyone around you uses Suuntos, that commonality can actually be a benefit.

(By very light tec diving, I mean things like doing 2x80 sidemount on mostly rec sites, with <50m rock bottom, 1-2 stops - the kind of dives that are very routine.)

As to point 1, it's not that it will take you out of the water sooner. That's conservatism, and in NDL diving, it will. But in deco diving, or basically as soon as you get a deco obligation, a Suunto will keep you in the water longer, and keep you at depth longer. That is not a good thing. Shallow is good, deep is bad - the deeper you are, the more gas you use, the longer till you can ascend, the harder for the people topside to help you. Suunto's algorithm is based on the now-deprecated bubble model and deep stop policy.

The EON has a very nice display and easy to press buttons but for the money just buy a Shearwater Perdix AI.

Also happens to have the "techies blessing" you mentioned for the most part.

They are perfectly fine entry level recreational dive computers...my wife and daughter use Zoop's and with a week of two dives per day, the computer is flawless....if there were issues, then they wouldn't sell near as many nor be accepted by many dive shops around the world.

Once and if ones goes technical, then an upgrade is most likely an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom