switching from Mares Avanti Quattros to OMS Slipstream? Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When swimming against the current for whatever reason, I would say that the Quattros use less muscle power per kick, but the Slipstreams give more boost per kick.

One of the main reasons I decided to try out a stiff paddle type fin was finding myself in situations where I have needed to swim against the current (getting back to the anchor line, working thru a strong down current, etc). The Quattros and other fins I had used had a point where I gained very little or no ground despite pushing the fin to maximum effort. The Slipstreams stand out as being better for me in those situations.

For a one type fin to fit all conditions, I have grown very used to the Slipstreams and comfortably use them for surface skills in addition to dives. If only doing surface work and not diving with the potential for stronger currents, I could see a preference for Quattros. They are nice on the surface.

Yes, that makes totally sense. It's pretty much what it felt when trying them out. It's a tough choice.

Here in this part of Mexico I also have to do snorkel with whaleshark outings (diving is not allowed), and more courses than I'll be doing in Thailand later on (where I'll be mostly guiding on liveaboards for 6 months).
Buying slipstreams here would also be cheaper here than in Asia, but I can't keep both for weight/volume issues...

Too bad you can’t have both, with that much diving it might be nice to switch it up. Could you ship your old fins there? It’s not like a ton of stuff isn’t always going back-and-forth from here and Asia.

Both are very good.
Slipstream is shorter than Quattro(same size) so it is easier to pack in check-bag or even as hand carry.

Back
Top Bottom