Taking advanced open water soon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also do you love night diving? Ever face curious sharks?

I do love night diving ... lots of critters are nocturnal and you will either see them tucked into a hole or you won't see them at all during daylight hours. At night they'll be out and about roaming around looking for dinner.

But my favorite time to dive is dawn. Getting in the water while it's still dark and watching the "shifts" change as daylight brightens the water is a delight ... particularly in the tropics. It also gives you a nice appetite for a hearty breakfast.

And yes, I have faced curious sharks. In my home waters we have six-gill sharks, which are both curious and lovely to watch. The first time or two it'll give you the flutters ... because they are really big fish. But after a while you realize that as long as you respect them as you would any wild animal they will not bother you ... humans aren't on their menu, after all ... and unless they feel threatened they will swim right up to you, check you out, decide you're neither edible nor mateable, and slowly swim off. It's always a thrilling experience.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Im not doing this for money at all. Once I'm divemaster I'm gladly to volunteer to work on boat and help out other companies when they need or if they have Deaf wants to do Discover Diving or new Deaf Students... In fact I LOVE Diving to death!!

I am planning on provide free American Sign Language course for South Florida Divers who want have easy access to communicate underwater. I am curious would you be interested in that?

I don't wish to rain on your parade, but are you comfortable with the idea of having some responsibility for (hearing) divers in potential emergency situations, when the need for rapid, accurate surface communication may be critical? I've had a lot of work-related hearing loss over the past decade or so, and although I've always enjoyed mentoring or teaching people in the past, I have no interest in doing so with scuba professionally, because my ability to hear and understand spoken communications without my hearing aids and under a hood is so limited. I'm just not comfortable being _professionally_ responsible for the safety of new divers when I can't easily hear what they're saying. Underwater it's not an issue, but on the surface it certainly is, even in calm conditions. Add in the sound of wind and waves and my ability to hear and understand speech is pretty hopeless, unless someone is right next to me and shouting.

If you're dealing only with deaf divers, I can see it, because all of you will be used to communicating by sign. And I think it's great that you're willing to teach ASL free to those who wish to expand their vocabularies. But have you checked to see if agencies/boats will allow you to DM for hearing people, and whether you can get insurance to do so? I can foresee potential liability issues there.

Good luck to you,

Guy

Thanks for your concern, You aren't the one that think Deaf "Can't do this & that" just because of communicate issue.

On most of Dive Charter they have at least 2 Dive master and one crew on boat. One DM will do a orientation & discuss about the safety while another DM & Crew sit and listen... then both DM will have group of diver going in and one crew stay on. There is NO verbal communicate requirement underwater only on surface. And of course DM are required to take rescue course.

Also when diver surface with some kind of potential emergency situations they usually have body language and face expression... they often will yell, or speak loud but not clear.

If there is a "hearing" DM taking a "Deaf" to do Discover Dive, Being their dive buddy, or DM and they can then Deaf can.

I can read lips, and speak very little... otherwise write it down.

FYI I was CNA (Nurse Assistance) and I had 9-12 "Hearing" Patients on my watch with no trouble even when they were in trouble such as, fallen out of bed, and heart attack, not feeling well, etc... many of times nurse will not understand what they are saying so they grab me and I knew what was wrong by just looking at body language and read lips.

I do not like when folks think Deaf can't do this & that...

I don't wish to rain on your parade, but are you comfortable with the idea of having some responsibility for (hearing) divers in potential emergency situations, when the need for rapid, accurate surface communication may be critical? I've had a lot of work-related hearing loss over the past decade or so, and although I've always enjoyed mentoring or teaching people in the past, I have no interest in doing so with scuba professionally, because my ability to hear and understand spoken communications without my hearing aids and under a hood is so limited. I'm just not comfortable being _professionally_ responsible for the safety of new divers when I can't easily hear what they're saying. Underwater it's not an issue, but on the surface it certainly is, even in calm conditions. Add in the sound of wind and waves and my ability to hear and understand speech is pretty hopeless, unless someone is right next to me and shouting.

If you're dealing only with deaf divers, I can see it, because all of you will be used to communicating by sign. And I think it's great that you're willing to teach ASL free to those who wish to expand their vocabularies. But have you checked to see if agencies/boats will allow you to DM for hearing people, and whether you can get insurance to do so? I can foresee potential liability issues there.

Good luck to you,

Guy

Wasn't that a nurse shark on the video? They are pretty mellow from what I have seen so far.

I am itching to do my first night dive but I have to admit I am a bit scared(ok, a lot scared). I think I'll ask my instructor to hold my hand the whole dive (ya hear that, Eric?):D

I think that is awesome!! When I took advanced it was very straight forward and all single tank dives. I was most nervous about the night dive, but after completing it I loved it. I have since went back and dove several night dives and they are great. I too would love to work my way up to DM, and no not for the money, just as a personal goal. Right now i have Rescue scheduled for late this spring.

Cool!! I'm sure your lookin forward to Rescue Course... :)

What was the cool thing you ever seen in your night dive? I mean it's pitch black under there :D

I think that is awesome!! When I took advanced it was very straight forward and all single tank dives. I was most nervous about the night dive, but after completing it I loved it. I have since went back and dove several night dives and they are great. I too would love to work my way up to DM, and no not for the money, just as a personal goal. Right now i have Rescue scheduled for late this spring.

I am curious is there anything I need to know about the course? Using 2 tanks also possible carry 3rd tank on ur side? Etc??

Is there a particular reason why you were wondering about this? Do you have this setup normally?

It is not required for AOW.

Also do you love night diving? Ever face curious sharks?

I love night diving. About a third of my dives are done at night. There is much more life to see and I also like the dark in general. I have never had curious sharks at night, only during the day. But then I don't live in an area that has curious sharks around at night. Shark attack chance is low so don't worry about it if that is your concern :)

Have a great time on your course :)

Sounds awesome what your doing!!!! Wish you the best!!!!!!

Wasn't that a nurse shark on the video? They are pretty mellow from what I have seen so far.

If you're talking about the 18 Fathoms wreck video he posted, that was most certainly NOT a nurse shark.

Difficult to tell and I'm by no means an expert, but it looked like a Bull to me.

Using 2 tanks also possible carry 3rd tank on ur side?

Scuba slang for two dives with one tank each is "a two-tank dive". That might be what you heard. Misleading, but that's the way we talk for some reason.

I mean it's pitch black under there :D
It's usually not. Your eyes adapt well to low light conditions. Depending on how cloudy it is, the phase of the moon, etc, you might not even need a light.

As an experiment on a night dive, turn your lights off for a few minutes and you'll likely be pleasantly surprised at how much you can see.

enjoy your diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom