Talk me *OUT* of a BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's only more complicated for a new diver because of buckle threading unfamiliarity so spend an evening in front of the TV threading buckles and tank straps until you can do it in your sleep and you'll be good to go.

How can backplates be unfamiliar to anyone in resorts and not allow them because before the early late 70's - early 80's and the Scubapro Stab Jacket, every diver dived either a plain harness attached to the tank/bands or plastic/metal backplates sometimes with a BC and sometimes not - it's just a method to hold your tank in a comfortable position on you as you dive.

All the resorts I've dived with (the majority of my short diving career) have been staffed with divemasters who weren't born until at least the 80's.

I'd even like to try the Jenga game in open water.
Do it with rocks. In a cave it's called "Deco Jenga".

I still couldn't make the mental leap - it hadn't entered my paradigm so for me, it just wasn't a possibility.

I hope I have shed some light on the difficulty in immediately seeing and grasping the advantage of the BP/W.

When one has little or no experience, having as many options as possible often seems like a good idea. With experience comes comfort in the knowledge of all the many options you actually have no use for.

I think this applies to integrated BCDs versus BP/W. Having padding and quick adjustments and quick release buckles and pockets and ditchable weight pockets all seems like good ideas at first. But, many people gain experience and realize they don't actually need any of that stuff. Then, the simplicity, relatively low expense, and stone-like reliability become much more appealing.

Then, the simplicity, relatively low expense, and stone-like reliability become much more appealing.
I've moved away from all this. Fit and comfort are my guiding principles and spartanesque or multipurpose gear holds no attraction for me. It's probably why I dive a hybrid (Dive Rite Hunter Pack or Zeagle Express Tech) for single OC diving. I dive a BP&Wing only when I have lots of weight to support, like doubles or my backmount SF2 rebreather. In caves I prefer sidemount with a dedicated sidemount harness.

If anything is apparent with all the threads about BCs and BP/Wings: everyone has different needs and tastes. Sometimes it's like watching a bunch of religious sects vie for supremacy. They all worship diving, but you have to do it their way or face the Scuba Inquisition!

upload_2016-10-8_10-6-14.png

Last edited:
I have never understood the fascination with bent doubles technical plates for not technical open water single tank diving. A worse piece of gear I cannot imagine. Some of these (doubles tech) plates are better adapted to single tanks than others but "adapted" is the operative word. It is a form of tech bleed over. N

I quite agree. I am on the backplate and wing side of the fence but it's a personal choice.

The absolute best thing to do is find someone who will lend you a no and wing and set it up for you and go and try it out.

I think a lot of halcyon dealers have a try before you buy option.

I will stress in order for such and activity not give a complete waste of time make sure some one is on hand to set it up right.

The Scuba Inquisition will beat you with a fluffy BC....

Ive recently been diving a wide variety of BC's from full jacket to minimalist back-inflate to 6mm Steel plate for the RB to sidemount and honestly, they all dive much the same for me once i have the weight distribution dialed in. The single biggest factor for me is the total dry weight of my gear.

Since even my lightest non-BP rig needs 5 pounds to sink it empty, I find my legs and back thank me every time for diving with the BP or sidemount where i am easily 8-10 pounds lighter carrying my gear to the boat or walking on the soft soft beach sand.

When the OP visits me next month he will get a chance to dive in every combination I can get my hands on, Im betting real money he ends up moving to sidemount. In which case i will win the thread for succesfully talking him *OUT* of a BP/W .....
:snoopydance:

For me the biggest advantage of BP/W over jacket is, how much easier it is to handle it - to rinse, dry, pack and store it. In a disassembled state it fits in a briefcase. I have had mine in hand luggage. DSS is realIy ingenious, being so easy to take apart. I feel less drag with BP/W, too. However, it lingers in closet since I was introduced to sidemount.

When one has little or no experience, having as many options as possible often seems like a good idea. With experience comes comfort in the knowledge of all the many options you actually have no use for.

I think this applies to integrated BCDs versus BP/W. Having padding and quick adjustments and quick release buckles and pockets and ditchable weight pockets all seems like good ideas at first. But, many people gain experience and realize they don't actually need any of that stuff. Then, the simplicity, relatively low expense, and stone-like reliability become much more appealing.

I am beginning to see your point. Now I am at another fence - BP/W or sidemount? I have 2 HP 95's and 2 HP 100's. I will read more posts.

Thank you,

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom