Tank hydro cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank hydro's are not done every year; they are done every 5 years. Cost: 30 USD/tank plus or minus 10 USD. I get mine done for 20 USD/tank and I have 4.

Of course all prices are location and available facilities dependent. Where are you?

How much should I expect to pay each year for a tank hydro test?

it all depends on what your shop charges...

like mts0628 said, hydro is only required every 5 years (by DOT regs).

Visual inspection is a "dive industry" requirement and is required annually.

Typically a shop charges around $25 for a hydro. I've seen some shops charge less and others charge $50.
Most shops don't do the hydro in house but take them to a DOT certified hydro facility. I take mine directly to the hydro facility and pay $12 bucks. (before anyone says the shop is ripping you off for a 100% profit, remember they have to pay an employee to drive down and drop the tank(s) off and then go back the next day or so and pick them up, so they aren't exactly getting rich off of adding some to the hydro cost after you figure in their employee costs, etc).

Figure that a visual inspection will run you $5 to $10 on average every year.

don't forget that at that time you need an air fill and that differs per shop also. ($3 to $8 bucks on average).

If you're doing partial pressure blending nitrox fills, you'll need your tank o2 cleaned after the hydro. I've seen that run from $15 to $40 on average.

Its all location dependant. I run a Hydro facility up here, for a hydro and vis, I charge a flat $40. Of course the shops that bring me the tanks charge $45 for the hydro and $25 for the vis, so they make a profit. Thats the going rate with all the shops up here. On the flip side, I havent paid for a hydro for my personal tanks in a while.:D

Its all location dependant. I run a Hydro facility up here, for a hydro and vis, I charge a flat $40. Of course the shops that bring me the tanks charge $45 for the hydro and $25 for the vis, so they make a profit. Thats the going rate with all the shops up here. On the flip side, I havent paid for a hydro for my personal tanks in a while.:D

a shop charging $25 for a visual inspection? wow.... :shakehead:

In Dallas thesre is a Fire Protection Systems (Koetter Fire) place that does the hydro for $15. Then the vis is done by a dive shop for $10.

Otherwise, $40 for hydro and vis through a shop.

Hydros are probably the single item that I have seen the biggest price differences in. From the hydro facilities I have seen anywhere from 12 to 80 dollars. This was from a reasonably small geographical area. That is before a shop marks it up. Most shops do not do the hydros, they contract those out due to the high cost of the equipment and little use it would get in a dive shop. Basically you pay whatever the local market will bear, supply and demand.

a shop charging $25 for a visual inspection? wow.... :shakehead:

i've paid that for doubles, fills included

Back
Top Bottom