Tank hydro cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, talk about bloated pricing...

Last time I had cylinders hydro'd it was $9.50/cylinder and I paid another $4 for the vis (the vis is actually $3 but they tack on another $1 for the new o-ring :wink:).

Hey SparticleBrane:

Where do you get your tanks hydro'ed? I took mine to New Bern Fire Extinguisher and bypassed the place in Greenville (the employees were smoking where they were testing tanks- no thanks). I would travel for a better deal as it's about an hour to NB and a little over an hour to RDU area.

With kind regards,
Thomas

here in Melbourne, at Hatt's (local lds) I believe the last hydros I did went for $40, annual viz is $10, tank fills for al80's are $4, but you can by a 10 fill card for $30, which we do.

Around here you can pay big bucks for everything but shopping around I have found I can get a hydro + viz for $25 and a fill is an extra $5

However I found out that having as many tanks as I do it was considerably cheaper to get PCI certified for doing visual tank inspections and I dont pay for air locally so then its just the hydro cost which ends up around $15-20 per tank every 5 years.

I recently bought 7 tanks that all needed hydrostatic testing and new valves (they were all J valves) after a few hours research, found a great place in Aurora, IL (outside of Chicago) that will do the visual/hydro for $15.51 whereas one Scuba shop quoted me $38 and one quoted me $50 (incl visual/hydo/air fill). Google Cyl-Tec. They're going to sell me new K valves/DIN by San-O-Sub for $25. I'm thrilled! I'm a bit of a geek for good deals as I do accounting (when I'm not diving or in grad school). And, no....I don't get any benefits for referring anyone and I don't work there! hahaha!

Happy diving!

Wow, talk about bloated pricing...

Last time I had cylinders hydro'd it was $9.50/cylinder and I paid another $4 for the vis (the vis is actually $3 but they tack on another $1 for the new o-ring :wink:).

Holy carp I just got my ass busted for hydro and vis and o-ring. Get this.

hydro--> $50
vis--> I can't remember
fill--> $6 the last place this was included
o-ring--> $6 (give me a break)
tax...... All together it was $67 and some change. Ouch!!!!

This is the last time I buy anything I mean ANYTHING from that shop. They have the market cornered I guess in the area. I'll go to mid-TN from now on, the last time I had it done it was $17 cheaper. I would not have used these guy but my buddy had it and it was too late when I was told the pricing.

Wow - $6 for a O-ring. My shop gets them in bulk and wholesale (yes they are the correct size, type, and duro) in lots of 1000+. At that rate, it comes down to around 2 or 3 cents per O-ring. When we hydro a tank, Orings and burst disks (and dip tubes if needing replacement) are included in the price. Talk about jacking the price up on the customer, thats just bad buisness.

I sort of thought that as well. My buddy is a yuppy and just doesn't have the inclination/time to shop around. It amazes me how many people are lazy like that and put up with the rip offs.

I was not happy, but it had been done and so I had to pay.

Really shows the range of prices out there and why shopping around is not a bad idea.

Holy carp I just got my ass busted for hydro and vis and o-ring. Get this.

hydro--> $50
vis--> I can't remember
fill--> $6 the last place this was included
o-ring--> $6 (give me a break)
tax...... All together it was $67 and some change. Ouch!!!!

VIP must have been only $5.00.

:rofl3: LOL

Back
Top Bottom