Tank whips (not transfer whips)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, duckbill, for sharing your pics.

As for getting the frayed whip cables into the tank neck, couldn't you just roll up a thin magazine or a few sheets of newspaper to capture the ends and direct them into the opening?

How long is the 1/4" steel rod?

Is there anyway we can get before-whipped and after-whipped pics of the inside of your tank? :D

The rod came in a 36" length which I cut down to 28".

No luck on the in-the-tank pictures. Sorry.

Good idea on using paper to facilitate getting the whip into the opening, but I ended up cutting about an 10" length of 1/2" PVC, tapering the outside of one end down to fit into the tank opening, and split it in half lengthwise. Works great.

BUT, I wish I could report wonderful success in the results of using the whip. I cannot. I'm thinking I made the free ends of the cables too short at 7". The commercial whips look longer. Even though the ID of the cylinder is less than 7" and the whip opens up to about 13 1/2" when spinning, it seems like it isn't doing much, except at the bottom which ends up with a nice, clean wire brushed look. This whip is just not going after the flash rust and residue on the walls as well as I think it should.:(

I may just break down and order a commercial whip to see what a whip is supposed to do. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of this whole procedure.

O.K. What I found out from one manufacturer or distributor of whips is that the whip is not supposed to be held centrally in the cylinder as it is being used. It should be rotated around the walls, as well as up and down. I found this tends to twist the cables, but I guess they all scour the wall as a unit as they move around an area. In this case it is not so critical the lengths of the cables. I also learned that what doesn't get removed in about five minutes will probably not come out with a whip.

So, I re-whipped a couple tanks with that in mind and they came out better. Not glistening clean, but still better even though some stubborn areas persist. I also ordered a commercial whip to see what difference it makes.

@duckbill: Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm really interested whether you get better results with the commercially available tank whip vs. your DIY whip.

I know I'll have to do be whippin' at least one of my tanks this fall. Not looking forward to it.

Just finished cleaning 8 tanks, of various degree of a rust. nothing major some rust spots on a bottom and some flush rust.
I have build a nice tumbler tumbler and a whip, never was able to clean it as a whistle though :(

This time around i used, Esprit Rust Remover. (check ebay i bought 1/2 gallon of concentrate), it some non acid stuff, organic and non toxic.
(i used last year , but got black rust on a bottom of cylinders, so i decided to modify process a bit)
I got such of nice results , i like to share my process.
(i bet you can just roll tank on a ground without tumbler)
1. Made a 20% diluted mix from concentrate.
2. Filled tank to 1/2 let it run on a tumbler for ~30 minutes, this would wet the walls and remove flash rust
3. Put tank vertically , and let it stay for 24hr (again this is not acid, so safe to let it stay as long )
4. Use whip with solution in the tank to whip a bottom and sides, so black residue is not sitting on the bottom.
5. Put tank back on tumbler for 30 min
6. Pour solution out to re-use again (it is usable until jet black)
7. TWICE wash tank by filling half of it with tap water and rolling on a ground.
8. i cut off low pressure hose, connected it to second stage and regular lp tank full of compressed air.
9. Put hose all the way in a tank you cleaning, its kind of hard to hold 120cf tank upside down :) this is what gym is for i guess
10. i emptied whole tank of air both tanks became very cold.

My tanks and water were pretty warm, due to weather, so if you air dry warm tank while it is warm it will get some flush rust.
So while tank is CHILLED do these:

11. while tank is cold, pour half tank of solution into it, and roll for 10minutes.
12 . repeat 7-10
Have a nice clean tank.
No rust, no spots.

Thanks, Andrew. Interesting read, and I appreciate you took the time to spell your procedure out. I think I'll go with traditional procedures before resorting to your intriguing method though. 24 hours full of fluid makes me cringe, though I'm sure it's fine if you've tried it and say so. Please keep us posted if you find any changes that improve the outcome.

Luis H has a bottle or maybe gun brush that he uses to get stubborn areas, he says it works great and I believe him. I know he's posted about it before, so you might be able to find one of those posts. The whip you made looks great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom