Taxi Fare ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taxi Mafia being the Taxi Mafia. The lack of them on the internet makes me think it doesn't exist.

They do exist or at least did exist at one time, on this page are links to an old one.
Its obvious they don't want the traveling public to have this info as its easier to overcharge if they don't.

Here are the actual scans of the outdated version:
Page-1
Page-2
Page-3

Hopefully Christi will get a new one eventually.

I thought so, too, but since the extra ticket cost about what I would have tipped for handling the bags (which I didn't do of course) it was not a big deal. The driver only screwed himself.

FWIW, the female official there at the shuttle zone backed him up when I questioned it..
I will be arriving with two large bags (camera and other), plus small carry-ons (backpack and fanny-pack camera case). If I get charged for a second seat, they had better give me a seat and not stuff me in like usual.

This sounds like airlines, when they first started charging a second seat for fat people but putting another passenger in that seat because they were overbooked. Can't have their cake and eat it too. If female official insists I need a second ticket, I'll find her boss.

I will be arriving with two large bags (camera and other), plus small carry-ons (backpack and fanny-pack camera case). If I get charged for a second seat, they had better give me a seat and not stuff me in like usual.

This sounds like airlines, when they first started charging a second seat for fat people but putting another passenger in that seat because they were overbooked. Can't have their cake and eat it too. If female official insists I need a second ticket, I'll find her boss.
Then the van leaves with a different passenger in your seat and you're left for a later one. It's fine with them.

Yeah if I got charged for two seats, I'd want to stretch out in both of them.

FYI - we are aware of this one :) It was posted back on page 1 or 2 of this thread!

They do exist or at least did exist at one time, on this page are links to an old one.
Its obvious they don't want the traveling public to have this info as its easier to overcharge if they don't.

Here are the actual scans of the outdated version:
Page-1
Page-2
Page-3

Hopefully Christi will get a new one eventually.

Meh. I'm on island time. Not a fight I chose to have, especially when I had an easy way to mostly recoup and leave the driver with less than he'd otherwise have had. No tip for you!

I spent nearly a thousand bucks to get myself and my wife to the island. Eight bucks? Meh.

Meh. I'm on island time. Not a fight I chose to have, especially when I had an easy way to mostly recoup and leave the driver with less than he'd otherwise have had. No tip for you!

I spent nearly a thousand bucks to get myself and my wife to the island. Eight bucks? Meh.
My fare is a bit more to Secrets Aura, probably $14 or so. I doubt I'd tip that much for bags. Besides, I only spent $85 getting to the island, so another $14 is a big deal :)

Anyway, I've got time to kill until it gets sorted out as many recent Secrets Aura reports have people delayed getting in their rooms for an hour or so after arrival. Surely such a policy would be in writing if it exists.

Most tourists aren't in a position to know the posted rates and would be unlikely to argue with a cabbie quoting a higher rate.

Even if you do know the official rate and try to discuss it, it does no good. We've even shown a Plan Local card to demonstrate that we're locals and still get told (falsely) that there are separate local and tourist fares and that we don't qualify for the local fare.

they are required by law to provide it

I wonder if PROFECO could be of any help on this if the taxi syndicate remains recalcitrant?

Been reading through this thread. I guess we've been lucky. We've been to Cozumel 6 times in the last 18 months and haven't had any problems with the taxi's. We usually stay at El Coz but have stayed in town. Cab fare from El Coz to Central is 8 bucks. I usually give them 10. Same back. From Central to the South Cruise Ship complex (we were meeting someone for the day) was about the same. Maybe that's high but seemed reasonable to me. I've also never charged extra for my bags at the airport. Maybe I have that likeable face.

Even if you do know the official rate and try to discuss it, it does no good. We've even shown a Plan Local card to demonstrate that we're locals and still get told (falsely) that there are separate local and tourist fares and that we don't qualify for the local fare.

I wonder if PROFECO could be of any help on this if the taxi syndicate remains recalcitrant?

Know the rate, pay and then walk. What's to discuss?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom