Tec, Where to begin??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whilst Divemaster programs across the globe contain the same syllabus, I think the emphasis on a given course does vary regionally. In the USA, divemasters are primarily roled as instructional assistants. In S.E.Asia, it is very rare for a DM to act as assistant - their role in predominantly as a dive guide and supervisor of certified divers.

DM training aspects which focus on supervising certified divers are primarily 'dive leadership' in nature. Dive leadership is a very good quality to develop, especially for a potential (self-reliant) technical diver..

It' a big mistake to be looking at PADI for any kind of technical diving instruction.

There was a time when that statement was true.... not anymore. There is a PADI tec/rec program in Princeton NJ and in cave country where the lead instructors teach for other agencies, including DIR. It is still all about the instructor, not the agency.
Eric

There was a time when that statement was true.... not anymore. There is a PADI tec/rec program in Princeton NJ and in cave country where the lead instructors teach for other agencies, including DIR. It is still all about the instructor, not the agency.
Eric

I agree. I am not a PADI tech instructor, and I have not seen a lot of examples of it, but the ones I have seen were quite good. I spent several days diving with a PADI tech group finisihing trimix training in Cozumel (saving a lot of money by tagging along with them rather than having to hire my own personal tech DM, other wise required by law). The instruction I saw was excellent--quite intense and demanding. The students were coming out of the program with outstanding skills.

I have no idea how anyone can simply dismiss all the instructors in a world-wide program.

It' a big mistake to be looking at PADI for any kind of technical diving instruction.

I'm a technical instructor with PADI...and several other agencies. There's certainly no quality difference between my courses, whichever agency banner they are taught under. I actually do like the TecRec 40/45/50 syllabus, preferable to AN/DP/ER, as it is more progressive and offers consistent improvement in all areas on all sub-courses.

PADI might be guilty of fast-tracking instructors to technical level, especially in recent years. It's a battle for market dominance and PADI fight that battle by saturation (pun intended). They aren't the only tech agency to have played that game though...

Realistically, there is good and bad instructors with the PADI tech instructor cadre. That means you need to do some research. You certainly shouldn't just roll up at a 'TecRec Center' and book training with some anonymous tech-instructor drone. That said, it would be a gross misassumption to write-off ALL TecRec instructors just because some are low-par. There are some great PADI tech instructors (many teach for multiple tech agencies).

+1, and some people feel the same way about GUE... like the UTD guys :) I went down the IANTD & PSA path. I know good instructors in all and pick and choose as some are respected and excel in certain specialties etc.

When you are ready you'll know which way to go. Use this forum for whats it worth and use it as pointers in your path.

There IS a difference between agencies. If you're down with deep air, steel stages, dual bladder wings, GUE isnt for you. If you're sport for learning skills on your knees, PADI is right up your alley. If you're down with weak Trimix, NAUI is for you. Intro on a single tank? NACD.

Agency does matter, as the agency controls their minimum standards. Delve into which agency has standards that you are comfortable getting trained to. Instructor matters to the point of choosing someone who can effectively get concepts and ideas across in a method that you're receptive to. David Rhea's style isn't for everyone, but some people might benefit more from it when compared to a guy like Gideon Liew. I think both are fantastic instructors, but they have very different styles.

Agency does matter, as the agency controls their minimum standards.

Minimum standards hardly define course quality. But that's why instructor selection is critical. Choose an instructor with the experience, expertise and motivation to well exceed standards. That's universal, across ALL agencies.

PADI doesn't encourage teaching from the knees, but sadly, they don't do enough to prevent it. Any instructor who teaches from the knees, especially technical, should be run from. I don't know any PADI technical instructors who wouldn't be aghast at such practices (but that's not to say they don't happen... muppets do carry tech-instructors cards).

Its in their book, man. The BOOK has tech students on their knees. Goon squad.

Get into an agency that doesn't even allow that nonsense.

I am in such an agency. I don't see any difference in how I conduct my courses, between agencies. PADI permits me to run courses to my satisfaction - nobody touches the ground, not ever. I'm a stickler... perfectionist. PADI doesn't limit that at all. That's why I don't think agency matters.

But hey, go to an any agency that doesn't "allow" teaching on the knees... because every instructor will be world-reputed, I am sure... hmmmm I've seen goons carrying all sorts of cards...

I actually prefer teaching Tec40/45/50 at the entry-level. I like ANDI for higher level stuff, esp; technical wreck and advanced sidemount syllabus. I didn't renew BSAC for a while, because I don't agree with their policies at tech level. SSI (TXR programs) just offered no return-on-investment. I'm considering a TDI cross-over - there seems little point, other than if I can identify a return on the costs. GUE is too restrictive...and falling behind in some aspects IMHO. I know instructors who quit UTD recently.. IANTD seems quite slow in my region..

Progressing that thought for discussion.... what agencies actively 'prohibit' teaching from the knees and/or mandate neutral buoyancy/proper trim has to maintained throughout?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom