Tech through PADI or TDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you mean to make the claim that doing actual deco is only a requirement that you impose and not a requirement of the agencies you teach for? It sounds like that is what you are saying with your statement that you are a dinosaur instructor.

I do it on nitrox , it is after all advanced nitrox course NOT deep air , and the deco to finish my course IS deco not simulated ......I guess im just a dinosaur instructor that way ...I believe in making the students do what im certifying them to do

What agencies do not require deco for such a course?

look it up your the expert
Well, I certainly am not "the expert" on the requirements for all agencies, but I do have some information that can narrow it down.

In this thread, you said you teach tech for both TDI and PADI, and both of those require actual decompression. TDI requires it at the end of the Decompression Procedures course, and PADI requires it in Tec 40, 45, and 50--all three. Your profile also lists SDI and ACUC, which do not do tech. Your profile also lists NAUI, which according to their web site requires decompression in it technical training. Your website also lists IANTD. I could not easily find references to their training requirements, but I have to think they require it as well. Am I wrong there?

not padi ...or naui .............when I started with tdi deco was an option now its vague....does not say you have to go into deco....I just mean with my other agencies require it so I always require it and have always taught it as part of the course

Last edited:
just so you know TDI does not require REAL deco ,,,simulated deco can be used 2 dives must be deeper than 100 feet ....that's not the way ,as I stated I did it , before I was jumped on ...(and quoted a wrong standard by boulder john )............as a tdi instructor you should know that standard if you teach it (and by the way I checked with HQ today and was right )

In this thread, you said you teach tech for both TDI and PADI, and both of those require actual decompression.

Last edited:
just so you know TDI does not require REAL deco ,,,simulated deco can be used 2 dives must be deeper than 100 feet ....that's not the way ,as I stated I did it , before I was jumped on ...(and quoted a wrong standard by boulder john )............as a tdi instructor you should know that standard if you teach it (and by the way I checked with HQ today and was right )

In this thread, you said you teach tech for both TDI and PADI, and both of those require actual decompression.
It has been a couple years since I stopped teaching TDI, and all my teaching materials are back at my home, so I will not have access to them for quite a while. (I am currently in Florida.) I am going on memory to say that deco is required. I know that the Intro to Tech-Advanced Nitrox-Decompression Procedures sequence, the only one that teaches decompression is the last one. I was positive decompression was required in that class, but I cannot check until I get home. I always did it, and I don't recall ever thinking there was a choice.

well there is a choice , always has been ...... maybe admitting your wrong quoting standards is not in your vocabulary , but I as a prudent instructor NEVER quote standards ,unless I look them up..... log on to tdi and you can look up standards , you know that , or should...... you know you as an instructor are required to know them ......sorry if this stings but you seem to have no problem pointing out other peoples short falls in teaching ...(as I do too )

well there is a choice , always has been ...... maybe admitting your wrong quoting standards is not in your vocabulary , but I as a prudent instructor NEVER quote standards ,unless I look them up..... log on to tdi and you can look up standards , you know that , or should...... you know you as an instructor are required to know them ......sorry if this stings but you seem to have no problem pointing out other peoples short falls in teaching ...(as I do too )
Well, since I don't have the standards with me, why don't you quote them so we can all be edified?

Course standards are accessible to anyone, via the public course description page. The description of Deco Procedures is here:

TDI Decompression Procedures Diver | SDI | TDI | ERDI

At the bottom is this link to the course standards:

https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/u...andards_08_Decompression_Procedures_Diver.pdf

I don't see anything that explicitly says dives with mandatory decompression stops are required. The closest thing I see regarding requirements of that nature is:

8.6 Course Structure and Duration
Open Water Execution
1. Four dives are required, 2 of those dives must be deeper than 30 metres / 100 feet
2. If advanced nitrox is taught in conjunction with decompression procedures* only a total of 6 dives are required
3. Only 2 dives from advanced wreck course may be credited towards the total dives required

Course Structure
1. TDI allows instructors to structure courses according to the number of students participating and their skill level

Duration
1. The minimum number of classroom and briefing hours is 6

*A 3-way combination of TDI Intro to Tech or TDI Sidemount, Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures is permitted with a minimum of 8 dives required. The prerequisites for advanced nitrox and decompression procedures diver must be met for this combination before starting the program.

The In-Water Drills section also does not seem to have anything that requires "REAL" deco, either.

How would you write a requirement to have "REAL" deco, anyway?

If you write a requirement for "REAL" deco and the instructor has students do a dive using Air+O2 and Gradient Factors of GF30/40 to 110' for 5 minutes of bottom time, would that be "REAL" deco?

How would you write a requirement to have "REAL" deco, anyway?
Here are three separate sections from the PADI requirement for dive #3 of Tec 50:

1. Working in a team, plan and execute an actual two deco gas decompression dive based
on table and/or multigas computer diving

Reminder: As you know, beginning with Training Dive One, students must demonstrate
mastery of all skills in each training dive prior to progressing to the next.
Because Dive Three is the first actual decompression dive at this level, there should be
no doubt that skills learned and practiced in the previous dives have been mastered.
Remember, you do not continue instruction into Training Dive Three with any students
who have not yet demonstrated mastery of all prior skills and learning.

I. Training Dive Standards
A. Tec 50 Training Dive Three is conducted in open water. The minimum
depth is 40 metres/130 feet and the maximum depth is 50 metres/165
feet. It is a decompression dive with two gas switches to provide added
conservatism or to accelerate decompression​

Right. So, if the instructor, for some reason, didn't want to have their students do "real" deco, and told the students to plan and execute the dive using GF30/40, would that meet the PADI requirement? It seems like it would.

And would that meet the SPIRIT of the requirement that they do a "REAL" deco dive?

The question that seemed to be under debate is whether agencies are requiring REAL deco in their tech course(s). So, what defines "real" deco? Actually having a deco obligation that, if blown off, would be very likely to get you bent? Or simply having a computer that SAYS you have a deco obligation, even if you would be totally safe to make a direct ascent?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom