Technical diving? you're gonna die!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rebreathers are the devil! They make my buoyancy suck even WORSE... and I didn't think that was possible.

Nereas, I suggest you take some time to actually learn about CCRs. I learned how to take one apart, put it back together, and dive the thing. GREAT experience for me. Probably would be for you too.

Blitz:
You haven't been watching the races..... she really ain't that fast!

hehehe

She's fast enough for me! *whew!*

skywalk:
Ok so, I want to take up technical diving. But all the people i've spoken to, have discouraged me from doing that.
the top reasons being
- if you do tech dives enough, then statistics will catch up to you and you'll end up being a statistic
- it's way to expensive
- screw up your gasses and you're screwed
- sometimes, even though you've been doing it over and over, one fine day comes when your body is not up to it, and you'll get DCS over a dive thats more conservative than some that you've done in the past...

the list goes on.

so, all you technical divers out there...help me out here please?
whats the bottom line?
thanks

Ok hello ~~~

First off it is insanely expensive!!! But the experiences you have will be PRICELESS!!!

As to the other questions ---I'm probably not the best one to answer to this but here goes --- you plan your dives --- stay meticulous about analyzing your gasse and you you follow your plan. Have the time of your life on every dive!

And if one comes up and bites you in the *** and you get DCS or (God forbid) you die, know that you died doing something that you loved doing. You can't live in a box your whole life.

Dive safe!

Kimber

skywalk:
Ok so, I want to take up technical diving. But all the people i've spoken to, have discouraged me from doing that.
the top reasons being
- if you do tech dives enough, then statistics will catch up to you and you'll end up being a statistic
- it's way to expensive
- screw up your gasses and you're screwed
- sometimes, even though you've been doing it over and over, one fine day comes when your body is not up to it, and you'll get DCS over a dive thats more conservative than some that you've done in the past...

the list goes on.

so, all you technical divers out there...help me out here please?
whats the bottom line?
thanks

The bottom line is simple. Tec diving is a means to an end. I wouldn't do it unless there was something I wanted to see. If I am going there to see something, I am going to do it right. (note, lower case, not to be confused with DIR which is GUE's holistic system for diving)

Is there more risk - yes. People can try to justify things but there are more inherent risks to manage.

Is it safe - Define safe. Then do your own evaluation. Each person will respond differently. For me, its dive dependent but still safe enough I'll dive deep and into caves.

Is it expensive - simply put. VERY.

PerroneFord:
Rebreathers are the devil! They make my buoyancy suck even WORSE... and I didn't think that was possible.

Nereas, I suggest you take some time to actually learn about CCRs. I learned how to take one apart, put it back together, and dive the thing. GREAT experience for me. Probably would be for you too.

I personally know of people who have died using a CCR. That is all I need to know.

nereas:
I personally know of people who have died using a CCR. That is all I need to know.

I personally know of people who have died using OC. Does that really make a difference? (Not that I am suggesting that CCR's are safer than OC in any way.)

nereas:
Obviously I have made -0- CCR dives, simply because I am still alive, and I plan to go on living and diving.

If you UNDERSTOOD CCR's, you might have less of a closed mind. Yes, diving a CCR requires vigilance, but no more so than safley diving on OC- just vigilance of different things. Most CCR fatalities are easily attributable to people making stupid mistakes, like not following the rule "Know thy PO2".

chickdiver:
If you UNDERSTOOD CCR's, you might have less of a closed mind. Yes, diving a CCR requires vigilance, but no more so than safley diving on OC- just vigilance of different things. Most CCR fatalities are easily attributable to people making stupid mistakes, like not following the rule "Know thy PO2".

Do you personally know of any CCR divers who have died while CCR diving?

Blitz:
You haven't been watching the races..... she really ain't that fast!

hehehe
:rofl3: I'll second that!!

Personally I hope the Indy Racing League randomly falls apart, and Champ Car gets the credit it deserves.

As for the actual post, I'm not tech certified yet, but am going that route, and I have met many tech divers. In my experience, tech divers are generally much more vigilent and as a result, safer than the average OW diver.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom