Technical diving? you're gonna die!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
She's fast enough for me! *whew!*

But she does not drive a F1 car, Speed Channel shows all the F1 shows.

And as far as Tech diving causing your death, my wife wont want to hear that as I am getting into doubles & getting ready for Adv. Nitrox/Deco now & the only way it is going to kill me is if she does it herself from all the new gear I am buying.

In scuba and particularly the 'tec level' of diving...one key point to remember is that COMPLACENCY KILLS.

nereas:
Do you personally know of any CCR divers who have died while CCR diving?

Yes, and I still choose to dive a CCR. I also know a few who died on OC- that didn't stop me from making long, deep cave dives OC for many years either. You need to be informed, rather than making blanket statements motivated by fear.

nereas:
Do you personally know of any CCR divers who have died while CCR diving?
I know (knew...) people who have died in car wrecks. Doesn't keep me from driving. :rolleyes:

I made the jump to tech diving last October, I've never looked back.

One thing you will find yourself doing is buying gear by the truckload. Every time a good deal comes around on a set of backup regs or another set of doubles, you'll end up buying them(just in case).

You will meet someone (hopefully your instructor - mine is) who's skills are so beyond yours that it seems impossible you will ever catch up.

You will become a much more aware diver, you will anticipate problems and their solutions.

You will become addicted to scubaboard / TDS, and it's many characters.

Just a few things to look forward to. The post earlier about having a reason to do it is true, but "because you can" is a reason. My reason was so I could go see really cool deep wrecks in the great lakes. Then recently I went in a cave....... That cost me about 2 grand in a couple weeks. Enjoy your newest addiction.:shakehead

If you've learned anything from this thread, note that being closed minded isn't conducive to learning. CCR's aren't the devil, I'd love the opportunity to use one.

chickdiver:
Yes, and I still choose to dive a CCR. I also know a few who died on OC- that didn't stop me from making long, deep cave dives OC for many years either. You need to be informed, rather than making blanket statements motivated by fear.

Fascinating! No fear of CCRs at all, in spite of obvious evidence to the contrary.

You need to be more candid in your communications about facts that refute your own beliefs.

nereas:
Fascinating! No fear of CCRs at all, in spite of obvious evidence to the contrary.

You need to be more candid in your communications about facts that refute your own beliefs.

My assumption is that you don't like CCR's because:

nereas:
I personally know of people who have died using a CCR. That is all I need to know.

I replied with:

amascuba:
I personally know of people who have died using OC.

What is the difference and why do you trust OC over CCR? I would care to wager that if you looked at the statistics, more people have been killed on OC then on CCR. Why aren't you afraid to be diving at all then?

You appear to be making your judgment on fear, as chickdiver stated, rather than any first hand knowledge of what makes up a CCR and how they operate.

nereas:
I can't say that I've ever met chickdiver, but I do know a few people she hangs around and I've read a lot of her stuff. If she didn't have a healthy respect of her CCR, she probably wouldn't be diving with her current group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom