Tell Dive Store Owners How You Feel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Off the top of my head, some things that could apply to just about any business:

1. I want to be acknowledged when I walk into a store. If they are busy with other customers a simple look, nod and "Hello, we'll be with you shortly" will suffice. ESPECIALLY if I walk up to the counter or near the area where they are. I HATE being ignored when I walk in and unsure if they're even aware of my presence.

2. Ask if they can help me. If I'm just looking, I'll let them know. I don't need someone hovering over me while I browse and once I know they're interested I'll find them if I have questions. But I don't want to have to track someone down and beg them to wait on me either.

3. Don't assume I'm an idiot and don't try to feed me a line of bull. If you don't know something, tell me that you don't know. Your credibility will go to hell in a second if you try and make me believe something stupid.

4. Don't try and convince me that your store/products are better than a competitor by trashing them. If yours is that good, show me why. If you have to resort to degrading to sell your stuff, I'm probably not interested.

5. If I want something you don't have, give me suggestions on where I might find it or offer me a viable alternative. I'll appreciate your interest in finding me what I want and I'll remember your helpfulness the next time I'm looking for someone.

6. Maintain an adequate stock to meet the above needs. If you can't stock everything, have a plan that allows you to get it within a reasonable time.

7. Maintain a competitive value. I don't expect you to be able to meet the price of internet only stores, but reasonable pricing, competent sales people and other perks provide enough value for me to spend my money in your store, rather than elsewhere. I'm willing to pay a bit more to be able to touch and try stuff before I buy and to have it when I walk out, but I don't expect to pay 2x the cost elsewhere.

8. Have at least 1-2 people on staff knowledgeable enough to answer questions and empowered to take care of problems. I don't want to have to come back next Tuesday, because someone is at lunch, on vacation or whatever. My time is just as valuable as yours and if you can't provide a solution when I'm there, I'll look elsewhere.

9. Treat me, and your other customers, with respect. If you don't like someone don't talk about them in front of other customers. If you do, we'll assume you talk about all of us the same way. If it's that much of a burden to deal with customers, find another line of work.

Several months ago I was looking for lens covers for our computers. Turns out, my wifes Genesis and my Oceanic use the same lens covers. I called around (Phoenix has over 20 different shops) and talked to an owner who said he had two. I told him I was on my way, please place them to the side. I then drove across town and when I got to the shop (first time there) the owner was gone, the "person" on duty had nothing set aside and could only find 1 lens cover.
I walked out not buying anything and will not go back to that shop. I told the person on duty to inform the owner I was there but because of his poor "customer service" I left without buying anything.

What this owner did not realize, I had just been treated poorly (financially ripped off - twice) by my old LDS and I was looking for a new LDS. They lost a potential customer! and everybody I know.

I'm not picky and rely on the shop for advice, but I will not tolerate poor customer service.

1) If you are going to put up a website MAINTAIN IT. It is annoying to click on links that don't work, or to see training schedules for 2010 and nothing for the current year. Make common item's like fills and rentals easy to find and post the prices. If they are not competitive enough to post, fix your business model - I'm going to assume they are uncompetitive if I can't find them.

2) Not everyone has, wants, or will use Facebook. Do not abandon website updates just because it is on Facebook. Ditto for Twitter.

The local dive shop here is severely lacking in the customer service area. I got my OW there and the instructor was a good pleasant man but that was the only positive experience I have had there. The shop manager makes you feel stupid for asking questions and like you're wasting his time even though there is not a single other person in the shop. It is closing its doors for good this month, can't imagine why.

In response to all the negative comments. There are good shops around. The one I use seems to take care of everything mentioned so far. They certainly treat me fair.

After saying that, I will bet there are people that would disagree with me. You will never please everyone.

I can get my equipment serviced generally in a week sometimes less.

For the things I have had problems with, I took it back to them and within 2 weeks I had a repaired or replaced unit.

When I go in, the folks in the retail part greet me enthusiastically along with the travel department. The owners know who I am and always greet me with a friendly smile. They let me browse for as long as I want.

I have been on trips with them and they know how I dive and what I need, often talking me into a less expensive way to do things. They always have time to make sure things are right and invite me for a pool session whenever it is not being used for classes at no charge.

The training people are separate from the retail section. The instructors there are mostly PADI but there are NAUI and TDI classes too.

The store is clean and bright and there is a lot of stock in there. They have ScubaPro, Apex, Oceanic, Atomic, Zeagle, Sherwood, Cressi, Henderson, Bare, Aqualung, Suunto. I am probably missing some stuff too.

I do see some tech stuff, but not that much.

They also carry Sealife and Sea and Sea cameras Ikelite and Sola lights and accessories. UK cases and a plethura of other small things from different makers.

Their website is up to date and easy to find your way around.

Their prices are competitive with internet prices.

Their annual sale is a great place to meet with manufacturers and representatives from different dive destinations. They have travel seminars, equipment seminars and the last day they have drawings and give away trips and equipment.

I know they do fills but I don't have tanks so if needed I rent tanks.

I have never walked out of the store feeling like I was ignored or feel like I have been taken.

I have met a lot of very nice people that work there and have made a lot of friends while on their trips.

The classes I have taken have been fun and very informative. There is always an instructor that goes on the trips. Usually very available to help out and give tips to improve my skills. I read here on scubaboard about people that say "that wasn't covered in my class" and think "it was covered in mine".

I can't think of anything they could do much better than the way they do it now. Overall it is a very positive experience for me.

If anything, I would say it would be nice to see more equipment to try out. But then I did buy my stuff and used it to certify in so maybe they do and I just don't know about it.

Now I do like my local store, even tho they are aiming at the top end buyers - and I am cheap. The wife in charge always greats me nicely, tries to help with my requests, tries to meet internet prices when I want something they carry and know what I want to pay - just really likable folks, including her hubby the Inst and most of the employees that help out. It's a small, one person store - but she is not always there and can't do all the backroom stuff. The store is in a very nice area, always super clean and nice. I really have no complaints; just don't want to spend that much.

I did find another store that I thought had closed and spoke with them briefly. A $15 viz sounds better than a $25, since the hydro tech did his own viz inspection. It's in an old retail area, may certainly not be the nicest, but I'll take a look next time I'm in town. It's good to have two stores of different styles to choose from. There used to be an older one, where I got my Nitrox card - but it needed to close...!

I work at a PADI dive shop here in Edmonton. Our website is up to date, and course dates posted for all of 2012. We have only canceled a hand full of courses over the last 4-5 years, and will run programs with as little as 1 or 2 students. We have most of all the equipment that we sell in our rental equipment, and if there is something you are really interested in trying, we have the pool every Wed night, and you can try before you buy. I have on many occasions loaned my personal gear to interested customers and it is amazing how happy they are that we do some of the little things to help them make an educated decision on the gear they are going to spend their hard earned money on. We only sell a selected few brands of equipment that the owner feels are a good quality that the customers would be happy with. We can at times, order in other equipment from different brands, but this is not as cost effective as we don't get any deals from the distributors on only 1 or 2 items, but if that is what you want, we will try to get it as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, living here in Canada, we are not a huge market as in the states and we typically get put on the back burner on supplies as the distributors need to keep the big markets happy. We stock Oceanic, Aries, Hollis, and Zeagle equipment. We have also just got into Tech diving and are starting to stock some equipment for that.

As for training, we only teach PADI training for scuba. The store owner has taught PADI for more than 20 years. We are a 5 Star IDC training facility, and teach everything from Bubble maker to Master Instructor. We train all the instructors that we have on staff so we can pick and choose the people that are right for our store and the clients.

The store owner has a theory... It is easy to say No, and hard to say Yes all the time, but if we can make you the customer happy, you will hopefully come back and bring your friends along. Personally, I have a full time job that affords me to have a hobby like being a scuba instructor. I more so do it because I really enjoy it, and I'm not in it for the money like some. If I was, I would be living on the street, and still having fun, but my wife would have something to that. There are a lot of nights that I may go to teach and end up volunteering my time to help out clients. I do it for the love of diving. Well, that is my 2 cents on this.

Not so much a store issue but an issue i have found.

When people complete open water don't try and push everything onto them it's an overwhelming/exciting experience without the person you trust teaching you these skills telling you need to buy everything as a package straight away.

Training agencies often try to help dive store owners be more successful by providing professional journals, books, and videos designed top help the store owner provide better customer service and enjoy financial success. In my opinion, some, or even much of this "advice" helps the agency more than the shop owner. Also, in my experience, most shop owners do a very poor job of listening to their customers. Much like a parent doesn't listen to his child, even after the child is 30 years old and has an M.B.A. from the Wharton School of Business, dive shop owners remember the diver taking his open water class and can't quite grasp the fact that after a couple years or even decades of diving that diver might have a valid opinion or two.

I'd like to ask SBers to use this thread to tell dive shop owners what they like, what they don't like and how things could be done better to make visiting a dive center a more positive experience.

Some possible topics include:

1. How you feel about dive shops being affiliated with a specific agency? Would you prefer generic stores? Do you feel more comfortable or more alienated by agency branding?

I would prefer to see dive shops and dive instruction separated ... it's an inherent conflict of interest. The business priority of a dive shop is to offer sales and service of dive equipment ... and do so in a way that assures a reasonable level of profit to the business owner. The business priority of a dive instructor should be to their students, by offering quality instruction at a reasonable price. When you combine the two, you put the instructor into a conflict between serving the best interest of the shop or the best interest of their students. This often results in the students not getting the quality of training they deserve, or precious class time being used to sell dive gear.

2. How do you feel about education? Are the time frames for classes too long, too short or just right? Do you like having lots of specialties? Or, would you prefer less specialty education? Did seeing all the educational opportunities excite you or almost turn you off to diving?

I don't think time frames are the issue ... the quality of the class is. In this respect, I think you're asking the wrong questions. I think that the prerequisites for becoming an instructor should be higher both in terms of experience and real-world diving knowledge. I think that more emphasis should be placed on in-water skills ... which may require additional pool time and/or more OW dives. Dive training should not be used as a loss-leader to bring customers into a dive shop, because cheap classes encourage corner-cutting. "Mastery" should not be viewed as "do it once on your knees and check it off the list". Divers who are uncomfortable to dive once class is over are far less likely to continue diving than those who are comfortable and confident with their skills.

3. Do you feel comfortable or a little nervous walking into a new shop? Why or why not? Are you happy or unhappy with your local shop? Do you go because you enjoy it or because they are "the only game in town" or have some form of emotional blackmail in place keeping you loyal out of fear?

I've never felt uncomfortable walking into a shop ... although I have felt uncomfortable walking out of a few. Those latter ones have lost me forever. When someone walks into a store, it's incumbant upon the store employees to make them feel as though their business is valued. When you fail to do that, you lose customers ... and making someone feel welcome is as simple as eye contact and a simple "Can I help you with something?"

Never make a customer feel guilty about purchasing something elsewhere ... your best sales pitch is the one that makes them feel like you have their best interest at heart. This means that you can't think of the shop down the street, or across town, or on the other end of the Internet, as your competitor. They're not ... your competitor is the bike shop, or the golf shop, or the ski shop, or any other business who vies for your customer's recreational dollars. The other dive shops in your area are your support group ... you can only grow your business by working together.

I live in an area where I can choose from any of more than a dozen dive shops within reasonable driving distance. I have excellent relationships with a few of them ... and give the majority of my business dollars to one in particular. Of the ones I frequent, the one thing that they have in common is that they greet me with a smile when I come in, they make an effort to be helpful when I ask for help, they never ... ever .. badmouth another dive shop, and if they can't help me with something I want, they won't try to sell me something I don't want because it's what they do have.

In other words, they treat me with respect ... are honest about what they can and can't do for me ... and assume that I'm smart enough to know what I want to buy.

4. What improvements can be made to the inventory? Too many choices? Too little choices? Too much fluff and not enough of what you need? Or, are you happy with the inventory? What products would you like to see taken off the shelves? What would you like to see carried in the store?

Different dive shops target different demographics. That's a business decision, and the owner of the business knows better than I do what segment of the market they want to focus on. Anyone with any level of business acumen understands this ... diving is a tiny market, and no dive shop can be all things to all people. What I want most is an honest answer ... do you carry it or not? If you have to order it, how long will it take? Be honest ... don't say you can have it in three days when you know it'll take two weeks. Don't give me some BS story about how the distributor screwed up my order when you knew before you ordered it that the item wouldn't be available when you told me it would.

Inventory doesn't mean a lot to me ... stocking a lot of inventory costs money, and most dive shops really can't afford it. It's in my best interest to help keep the local dive shops in business, and so I'm usually willing to wait a reasonable period to receive something that has to be ordered. But if you don't keep your word, I'll hesitate to give you another chance. And if it happens a second time, you'll lose my business forever.

5. Do you think a dive shop should just sell scuba equipment? Or, would you like to see something else in the store as well? If so, what?

Ah, now that's a good question. Diving's such a niche market that broadening your interests may be a good business decision. But what other products to carry may well depend on where you're at. For example, in places like Bali, South California or Hawaii, adding a surfing section may be a good choice. Other places it might be fishing or boating. In areas where diving is seasonal, it may be skiing. Having a multipurpose shop has benefits ... particularly if establishing relationships with the business owners/employees is important to you ... and if it helps them maintain a model that keeps the business healthy. But the potential drawback comes in how knowledgeable the help will be when you have questions that need answering. In other words, this will only make sense if in the process there is no degradation of the service performance you expect in a place where you're likely to be spending a lot of money.

6. What kind of employee do you most want in the store? What kind of employee makes you want to go elsewhere?

Mostly I want employees who treat me with respect, and who are knowledgeable enough with the equipment I use and want to purchase to offer reasonable sales and service on it. The employee that makes me want to go elsewhere is the one who tries to tell me what I want, who acts like we're in some kind of competition, or who tries to lay a guilt trip on me if I decide to purchase something elsewhere once in a while. These employees will drive me out of their store in a hurry, and once out I will not come back.

7. Do you like going into the dive shop when the owner is there or do you try to only go when other employees are working?

Depends on the shop. There's a local dive shop chain that has some good store managers and employees at several of their stores ... I almost never see the owner, and that suits me just fine since I've established good relationships with his employees. The shop I visit most often is owned and operated by a young married couple who are fantastic to deal with. And another shop I like is just a "loft" in a strip mall that is run almost exclusively by an older gentleman who I've known since I was barely out of OW ... he's been a mentor and friend for a long time, and I love to send business his way when I can.

8. What do you consider timely service on equipment? Do you think service prices are fair or a rip-off?

It depends on the type of service. What I most care about is that the store employee give me a reasonable estimate, and that the equipment is serviced and available when they said it would be. Prices are what they are ... you generally get what you pay for. For some things, such as drysuit seal replacement or cylinder VIPs, I may shop around for the best price or quickest turnaround. For other things like regulator service and repair, I'm pretty picky about where I go ... and if it takes longer or costs more, that's indicative of the quality of what I'm getting in return.

9. What about gas fills? Do you feel hassled when you need an air fill, nitrox fill, or trimix fill? Or, is this normally an enjoyable part of going diving? What do you like or don't like about getting fills? Does your shop charge by the fill or by the cubic foot? Would you rather pay by the fill or cubic foot? Do they fill the gases that you need or do you end up going elsewhere for different fills?

I own upwards of 30 tanks, and have a monthly fill plan with my local shop. About once a week I'll bring in whatever tanks need filling, and pick up the ones I dropped off the previous week. I analyze them, and if one needs a top or an EAN adjustment they do it on the spot ... no questions asked. I like the monthly plan ... I typically get my nitrox for an average of $4 - $5 per fill (LP95, HP100, HP119 and HP130) and the store can plan on payment every month ... it's a win-win situation for both of us.

10. Anything else? This is a great opportunity to put it all out there.

Just this ... I think a lot of dive shops are stuck in a business model that worked for them years ago, but doesn't apply to today's market. They need to understand that both the customer base and the technology available for sales and service have changed over the past couple of decades, and they need to change both their business methods and their attitude to be more compatible with the customers they encounter today. "Loyalty" has little to do with how most people shop these days ... and if someone buys something elsewhere, particularly over the internet, and you impose policies or attitude to show your unhappiness about it, you're only hurting yourself. Dive businesses that succeed are those who make their customers look forward to coming into the shop ... if you treat your customers with respect, greet them with a smile, and make them feel that you have their best interest in mind, then the loyalty issue takes care of itself. You can't guilt-trip someone into being loyal to your business ... but you can easily treat them in a way that makes them want to be ... and therein lies the difference between the business that dies and the one that thrives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I vote using these handy, government-approved ballot forms.

one-dollar-bill-large.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom