Test Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoachSteve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been reading about gear, and have found many here recommend test diving BCs especially. my question is do LDS let you(even in a pool) test dive something? the places I have rented from have a very specific selection of rental BCs, and normally they are not what I want to test out. how do you test dive what you are looking to purchase?

“Test-Diving” equipment before you buy is always a good idea. You would not buy a car before researching and test-driving it. Some LDS may be reluctant to let you dive gear before you buy, others may not. If the LDS has a pool, than your chances are much better to try out the gear you like first. Furthermore, if it is “common” gear, they may have rental equipment which you can use during a weekend outing.

Another possibility is to check with the manufacturer, since many offer demo-days. The sole purpose of a demo-day is that divers can “test-dive” their equipment and ask all the questions they have. Quite often these demo-days are also a place to socialize with fellow divers.

So look around and “test-dive” as much as possible. Each BCD handles a bit different, and there are quit big differences between more traditional jacket-style BCD’s and tech oriented wing-style BCD’s. Have fun!

thank you for the info. I am going out this weekend and will call all the LDS around here to see if they have the BC or type of bc I want to try and decide if I want to buy. That is great advice. Thank you.

Usually in my experience if a shop has a pool on site they will use it as a competetive advantage and allow test diving of merchandise off the rack.

As you seem to have found out the rental offering is often of sometimes well worn base models that are below what you want to buy.

If you have built any relationships with well equipped dive buddies trying something they have may be an option either by swapping for the dive or taking a rig for a spin at the end of a dive. If you have anything special in mind it can't hurt to mention it in your regional forum, divers love to help divers whenever they can.

Trying a BC in the water with your normal exposure protection is HIGHLY recomended.

Pete

My LDS (at least the one I support) lets you test dive equipment in their pool for a fee. Once you've made your decision that fee is then deducted from the price of the equipment that you're buying. It kind of locks you into doing business with them and that model seems to work as they do pretty well with equipment sales.

It doesn’t really matter if you have to pay $5 to try the equipment or not. It is more important that you can handle the equipment and feel comfortable using it. Also, make sure that you get a US warranty, check that spare parts are available, and ask or Google recent product recalls. I have seen gear in dive stores (in the US, not on some exotic island), which was definitely behind its useful shelf live. Some gear just don’t move as quickly as others, and new divers are always welcome targets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom