Thank you Tobin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas

Contributor
Reaction score
Expat Floridian travelling in the Land of Eternal
# of dives
500 - 999
Thank you Tobin, for the great SS weighted backplates that you manufacture and distribute all around the world. I have two of these which I got from my local dive store a couple of years ago when you first started offering them. They have performed wonderfully.

Originally they were both 14 lbs plates.

Then I converted one of them into 22 lbs (with 4 weight plates) and the other of 6 lbs (without any weight plates attached), and now I use the heavier plate for single steel tank cold water diving, and the lighter plate for double steel tank cold water diving and with an STA for single aluminum tank warm water diving. My weight belt for single tank diving has therefore been reduced to 10 lbs in both warm and cold waters.

Weight was never a problem in cold waters with double steel tanks, but with a single steel tank diving in the cold, weight formerly was a big problem. But with your weighted plates, you have now solved this problem.

These are beautiful plates, the best that I have ever seen anywhere on Earth, and they work extremely well for perfect trim underwater.

Thanks again!

Thank you Tobin, for the great SS weighted backplates that you manufacture and distribute all around the world. I have two of these which I got from my local dive store a couple of years ago when you first started offering them. They have performed wonderfully.

Originally they were both 14 lbs plates.

Then I converted one of them into 22 lbs (with 4 weight plates) and the other of 6 lbs (without any weight plates attached), and now I use the heavier plate for single steel tank cold water diving, and the lighter plate for double steel tank cold water diving and with an STA for single aluminum tank warm water diving. My weight belt for single tank diving has therefore been reduced to 10 lbs in both warm and cold waters.

Weight was never a problem in cold waters with double steel tanks, but with a single steel tank diving in the cold, weight formerly was a big problem. But with your weighted plates, you have now solved this problem.

These are beautiful plates, the best that I have ever seen anywhere on Earth, and they work extremely well for perfect trim underwater.

Thanks again!

Nereas,

Your post concerns me. I have a number of questions;

1) How do you mount 4 weight plates to a single back plate? We make no provision to do so, and do not recommend doing so.

2) You state you are using a Steel tank, a 22 lbs back plate, regulator and 10 lbs weight belt. That's potentially more than 35 lbs of ballast. Very very few applications would require that much ballast.

3) Our weight plates are not intended to be used with doubles.

Tobin

Nereas,

Your post concerns me. I have a number of questions;

1) How do you mount 4 weight plates to a single back plate? We make no provision to do so, and do not recommend doing so.

2) You state you are using a Steel tank, a 22 lbs back plate, regulator and 10 lbs weight belt. That's potentially more than 35 lbs of ballast. Very very few applications would require that much ballast.

3) Our weight plates are not intended to be used with doubles.

Tobin

For doubles, only a simple 6 lb backplate is needed, correct.

For singles, I simply require a lot of ballast.:D

For the modifications, longer stainless steel screws are available at most marine hardware stores. These then work like a charm! I am surprised that you think 35 lbs is a lot. The waters of Southern California must be pretty warm, then. I find 36 lbs to be perfect (you left out the STA in your calculations) for extremely cold waters. And I like the belt to be equal to the negative buoyancy of the air in the tank, or thereabouts, because if you ever really needed to ditch the belt underwater, you would not want to skyrocket back to the surface, which is always a hazard with a heavy weight belt.

As your first data point on the alpha testing of doubled weight plates, let me say that it works beautifully! Nothing could be finer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom