That pesky Medical Statement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dunno. @flyboy08 implied the FAA medicals aren't too stringent.
While I won't say they are 'stringent', there are a number of issues with FAA medicals with which divers do not have to contend. Aviation medical examiners (AMEs) have a detailed set of guidelines that they must follow. These are standardized (a good thing) and the (limited) physical assessment performed by the AME focuses to a great extent on cardiovascular fitness and vision. The FAA is particularly interested in any condition that might compromise a pilot's ability to fly / control the airplane. Notably, aviation medicals (including FAA certificates), like diver Medical Statements, also rely to a considerable extent upon pilot self-reporting, and that can be an issue, if a pilot chooses not to disclose certain pertinent information (the German Wings crash last year is a prime example). However, unlike diver Medical Statements, FAA medical certificates issued by an AME can be rescinded by the FAA after they review the documents submitted by the examiner. The AME can issue a medical certificate, but the FAA has up to 60 days to say, 'Sorry, you can't keep it.' This actually happens, infrequently but often enough to cause a number of pilots to grouse that the FAA is arbitrary and capricious. And, if a pilot is caught falsifying information on the medical questionnaire (putting a 'No', when a 'Yes' is true), their pilot's license will quite probably - and quite quickly - take on the characteristics of a piece of bread left in the oven way too long. By the way, many AMEs are NOT pilot's. Finally, rest assured that the FAA has no particular interest in the welfare of the pilot, who might be exposed to stressful conditions while flying. The agency IS concerned about passengers in the plane, or innocent bystanders on the ground, who might be injured or killed if a pilot becomes incapacitated, and loses control of the airplane, secondary to a medical event.
As I said in a post above, I would be pleased to get a standardized annual dive medical exam that was accepted everywhere in the world if such a thing existed.
I fully agree. This would resolve a great deal of the frustration that you see expressed in discussions like this.

I'd certainly love to, but this is unlikely to happen in the near future. My wife has the strongest prejudice against boat diving in Florida since supposedly it makes her really seasick. So going to Florida means shore diving. Blue Heron Bridge, Dania Erojacks etc.

My wife gets sick easily on boats. She also does not dive. Does not stop me from diving on boats in Florida. Does affect my planning.

Where are folks running into the requirement for this medical long form for other than training dives?

I am thinking the only place I have seen it was in MEX and it was just some dive ops. I have not seen it in either Cayman ort Bonaire.

We are going to one of the Sandals resorts to celebrate our anniversary this year. They all require the full student medical questionnaire with Dr. signature as well as the liability release.

"They all require the full student medical questionnaire with Dr. signature"
And do they look up the doctor's phone number in a phone book, then verify their medical license online, and confirm the doctor actually signed that form?
I ask because I spent some years in commercial printing and pre-press, and whenever someone says "I need that in writing" my only question is "What color paper do you want?"

A signed form, by itself, means nothing these days. Worth nothing more than a self-signed form saying it all yourself, and releasing the shop/operator/trainer as usual.

I wonder if the doctor would need a signed HIPAA release from the diver before they could legally even sign such a form.(G)

We are going to one of the Sandals resorts to celebrate our anniversary this year. They all require the full student medical questionnaire with Dr. signature as well as the liability release.

"They all require the full student medical questionnaire with Dr. signature"
And do they look up the doctor's phone number in a phone book, then verify their medical license online, and confirm the doctor actually signed that form?
I ask because I spent some years in commercial printing and pre-press, and whenever someone says "I need that in writing" my only question is "What color paper do you want?"

A signed form, by itself, means nothing these days. Worth nothing more than a self-signed form saying it all yourself, and releasing the shop/operator/trainer as usual.

I wonder if the doctor would need a signed HIPAA release from the diver before they could legally even sign such a form.(G)

Isn't scuba included in the AI package from Sandals? If so, anything they can do to deny that service increases their profit. That should be a big red flag.

In that case, I wouldn't be going.

I would be finding someplace else to go. I really dislike being nannied.

No but they would need a release to send it to a third party such as faxing a copy to a dive shop.

I've had a hospital and a med school clinic both require me to sign a HIPAA release before they would give me a copy of my own records. Uh, no, there are laws saying that if I want them--they are to be given to me. No release required because there's no "disclosure", the information belongs to me.

If someone asked me to have my GP sign a diving release, my GP would look at me and say (more professionally) "WTF do I know about scuba diving? I can't sign this." Sure, they might just sign it as a favor, but they really shouldn't. A diving medical clearance should come from a "DAN Doctor" with specific knowledge of SCUBA, and that's going to mean a probably out-of-network complete physical. And arguably some lab work to see if the diver has a PFO and other problems.

Paperwork? Diving is my decision, my responsibility. The guy who certified me is the one who should decide if that's going to happen or not. After that? Make sure the air in my tank is not toxic. Make sure the engine is secured and the props won't be turned while I'm in the water. Oh, and do try to take a headcount before you take the boat away.

Paperwork? Yeah, good for the bottom of the parrot cage.

Sorry, but I've always said the industry are their own worst enemies, they're going to wind up getting themselves regulated out of business.

Where are folks running into the requirement for this medical long form for other than training dives?

I am thinking the only place I have seen it was in MEX and it was just some dive ops. I have not seen it in either Cayman ort Bonaire.
One of the LOBS we use does not require it, but they reference it and ask if you can say NO to all of the questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom